Widgets Magazine
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021 LastLast

Thread: I-35 / I-240 Exchange

HangryHippo Guest

Default Re: I-35 / I-240 Exchange

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    I'm really sick of the half flyover interchanges. The EB 240 to NB 35 is already awful. This interchange needs a multi stack highway. I think 235 was OK, but this and the 44/40 needs to be more efficient.
    So much this. That segment is disgusting.

2. Default Re: I-35 / I-240 Exchange

definitey need flyovers at EB I-240 to NB I-35 and EB I-40 to NB I-235.

Not sure why ODOT seems to ignore the direction that has the most flow: SB I-35 to EB I-240 has a flyover?? come on now.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    I'm really sick of the half flyover interchanges. The EB 240 to NB 35 is already awful. This interchange needs a multi stack highway. I think 235 was OK, but this and the 44/40 needs to be more efficient.
    I get it and don't necessarily disagree... but keep in mind this interchange is space constrained in the NE quadrant due to businesses surrounding the old Crossroads Mall. If I recall correctly, that was the reason this wasn't designed as a full-stack interchange. This design will still be a VAST improvement over the existing interchange, though - even for the cloverleaf segments, each ramp will have it's own dedicated deceleration and acceleration lane so merge conflicts should be largely eliminated.

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    definitey need flyovers at EB I-240 to NB I-35 and EB I-40 to NB I-235.

Not sure why ODOT seems to ignore the direction that has the most flow: SB I-35 to EB I-240 has a flyover?? come on now.
    I live about a mile from this interchange. EB I-240 to SB I-35 and NB I-35 to WB I-240 are the highest demand movements, especially during rush hour. The already completed EB 240 to SB 35 ramp did a LOT to help alleviate congestion in the evening rush.

ODOT also may be expecting the East/West turnpike between Moore and Norman and I-35 to Kickapoo turnpike to take off some of the current load of this juncture's ramps.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    ODOT also may be expecting the East/West turnpike between Moore and Norman and I-35 to Kickapoo turnpike to take off some of the current load of this juncture's ramps.
    i mean if they will get the I-44 to I-35 piece of that done as one of the first projects, I will be avoiding this interchange a lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    I bet population growth will offset any of that.

8. Default Re: I-35 / I-240 Exchange

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaingoat View Post
    I bet population growth will offset any of that.
    Agreed. And if you look at the traffic on 35 in the morning, it's mostly commuter from Moore/Norman/Points South. There aren't a lot of vehicles there that tend to exit to 35 in the morning (when i go in to the office, i head up that way and turn west to 40, so i see where they go, at least from north Moore on north).

Whatever they do, it will be an improvement. And remember that the new cloverleafs will be bigger than the old ones. So it will all be part of the larger equation to keep that clover traffic out of the way and prevent it from existing in the merge mess like it is now.

You want to talk "why" about flyovers, the 44-35 junction they're working on now. I just do not understand why we are spending so much to make a right hand flyover from N35 to W44. I'm guessing they had to in order for the new 3 lane bit of S35 to fit under it, but dang that's a lot of money for such a short ramp....that's not so short anymore.

The remaining cloverleaf's, themselves, aren't the main problem. I see the flaw in the design (unless l understood it wrong) where the cloverleaf empies directly onto the main highway. These will always slow down the main highway traffic. The way l-35 is now, with separate highway segments for the loops to empty onto, is the way to go but access to 66th needs to be removed so the cloverleaf has much more room for acceleration.

Unless l'm mistaken, the EB-240 to NB l-35 loop will now empty directly to the main l-35. This will just cause more pileups for the morning commute.

That EB to NB route currently goes onto a service road and people stop and it gets backed up onto 240. I'll admit it is because of people going NB to WB that merge in and that will be reduced once the flyover is completed, but it just seems short sided. I didn't have an issue with this on 44/235 because there was a two lane separated road that SB to EB and WB to SB had to merge onto. That made it easier. It looks like on the map, they have plenty of room in every space except for the NE region.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaingoat View Post
    The remaining cloverleaf's, themselves, aren't the main problem. I see the flaw in the design (unless l understood it wrong) where the cloverleaf empies directly onto the main highway. These will always slow down the main highway traffic. The way l-35 is now, with separate highway segments for the loops to empty onto, is the way to go but access to 66th needs to be removed so the cloverleaf has much more room for acceleration.

Unless l'm mistaken, the EB-240 to NB l-35 loop will now empty directly to the main l-35. This will just cause more pileups for the morning commute.
    EB I-240 to NB I-35 will have it's own acceleration lane coming out of the cloverleaf ramp. That traffic will need to merge into mainline I-35 but they aren't being dumped directly into those lanes from the ramp. WB I-240 to NB I-35 will also have it's own acceleration lane too. Also, keep in mind that the northbound exit for SE 66th St will be relocated south of the interchange, so there won't be criss-crossing traffic between the interchange and SE 66th St anymore.

12. Default Re: I-35 / I-240 Exchange

It seems to me that just having an acceleration lane will not be sufficient because people will inevitably jump off the acceleration lane to other lanes, especially if there is a large truck not accelerating very fast, and slow the entire highway down.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    It seems to me that just having an acceleration lane will not be sufficient because people will inevitably jump off the acceleration lane to other lanes, especially if there is a large truck not accelerating very fast, and slow the entire highway down.
    In fairness, this is no different than almost any other interchange. Few highway interchanges permanently add a lane from an on-ramp. And it's a far better arrangement than what exists today, since there will be no criss-crossing traffic.

14. Default Re: I-35 / I-240 Exchange

I'm not talking about adding another permanent lane. As it is now, the loops have a dedicated separate roadway where cars can't change lanes onto the main highway until further down where traffic speeds are likely higher. By simply having an acceleration lane, slow traffic will move into the main highway much sooner.

I realize most interchanges are this way now but l don't see this as improving traffic flow on the main highway even at today's levels, much less 2040.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    You want to talk "why" about flyovers, the 44-35 junction they're working on now. I just do not understand why we are spending so much to make a right hand flyover from N35 to W44. I'm guessing they had to in order for the new 3 lane bit of S35 to fit under it, but dang that's a lot of money for such a short ramp....that's not so short anymore.
    They are doing it to eliminate the left exit and left merge, both of which are problematic. The left lane should be for faster traffic, not for people slowing down to take an exit.

Updated FHWA standards dictate no left hand exit lanes with new or reconstruction. This means that any new construction or reconstruction of interchanges that use federal dollars has to only have right-hand exits. This has been so since at least the late 1990s.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    I'm not talking about adding another permanent lane. As it is now, the loops have a dedicated separate roadway where cars can't change lanes onto the main highway until further down where traffic speeds are likely higher. By simply having an acceleration lane, slow traffic will move into the main highway much sooner.

I realize most interchanges are this way now but l don't see this as improving traffic flow on the main highway even at today's levels, much less 2040.
    The new interchange will still be a vast improvement vs the existing design. The traffic from that separate roadway still needs to merge into mainline I-35 at some point, and the current design doesn't encourage a fast flow of traffic onto NB I-35. Right now, you've got criss-crossing traffic at the cloverleaves (directly under the I-240 bridge), then merging traffic from the WB I-240 to NB I-35 ramp dumping into that feeder road right before it merges into I-35. On top of that, you then have criss-crossing traffic between vehicles coming off the feeder and vehicles trying to exit for SE 66th St. These conflict points all significantly slow the flow of traffic merging into NB I-35. All are either reworked or removed entirely in the new design, and combined with much larger cloverleaf ramps, this will enable traffic to flow much more freely than it currently does. I'm not saying the new design is perfect, but it's still a massive improvement over what we have currently.

18. Default Re: I-35 / I-240 Exchange

I agree it will be a massive improvement. I just hate to see vast amounts of $ to be spent on the reconstruction and not do it the best possible way.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I can't seem to find the post with the current project outcome. Are they just adding new east and westbound exits for 240? Seems like the flyovers for the 35 exits are more important with current traffic patterns.

Default Re: I-240/I-35 interchange rebuild?

Quote Originally Posted by Lazio85 View Post
    here you go

https://www.odot.org/newsmedia/press...0_plan_map.jpg

I am guessing they are giving a dedicated lane to the eastbound I-240 to Northbound I-35 cloverleaf?
    That cloverleaf merge (stop) is by FAR the WORST part of that whole interchange.
    Why not a Eastbound I-240 to Northbound I-35 flyover?

Quote Originally Posted by OklahomaNick View Post
    I am guessing they are giving a dedicated lane to the eastbound I-240 to Northbound I-35 cloverleaf?
    That cloverleaf merge (stop) is by FAR the WORST part of that whole interchange.
    Based on estimating the needed land considering the flyovers already there, I would say that they dont have an E I-240 > N I-35 due to Dove Science Academy being in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by OklahomaNick View Post
    yes it will ... it won't merge until well north of the bridge

Plus the yielding for the east-to-north traffic was due to south-to-west traffic. With that merge conflict gone it should be okay. ODOT is not great at planning as you can see a stub of what would have been the east-to-north ramp on the east-to-south ramp. I

Thread Information