Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: I-35 / I-240 Exchange

Default Re: I-240/I-35 interchange rebuild?

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Then, in my book, it costs absolutely *zero* dollars to do the *one* thing that will mitigate against at least a good portion of the accidents at this location: Immediately and permanently close the EB on-ramp from Shields. I know it will hack off the folks who go up Shields to get on I-240, but they can go to SE 89th and head east to I-35, and loop right back on to EB I-240 from there. Heck, they can go a unit west and board EB I-240 at Walker. Either way, that Shields on-ramp has to go.

This won't solve all the problems, because cars migrating to the SB I-35 ramp from I-240 will still do so, but it eliminates the "scissoring" traffic caused by the inflow of the inbound traffic at the same location.

Something of substance has to be done at this location before ten years passes.
    east bound 240 to south bound 35 gets redone in 2015 ..

2. Default Re: I-240/I-35 interchange rebuild?

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    east bound 240 to south bound 35 gets redone in 2015 ..
    So in the book of a road planner...the blood spilled for the next two plus years until that section is done is still alright? Let's be honest. The project starts in 2015...I really doubt the "fine" folks at ODOT and their contractors will really get that portion of the project done that year.

SoonerDave: I have always wondered about that area and am asking honest questions...what are the stats for the Shield's onramp? How does that compare to other areas of the City? In other words, is that area above the norm (accidents, injuries & fatalities)?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    SoonerDave: I have always wondered about that area and am asking honest questions...what are the stats for the Shield's onramp? How does that compare to other areas of the City? In other words, is that area above the norm (accidents, injuries & fatalities)?
    I would very much like to know, Larry. I don't have the stats, just my own eyeballs as I drive the westbound side of that road every workday on the way home, and I don't think its an exaggeration at all to suggest that there is some substantial accident at that location during rush hour at least two out of the five regular work weekdays (M-F). I would say, but without the same level of confidence, that at least one of those accidents required ambulance transportation for at least one of the involved folks. I don't know how I'd go about collecting or researching that data, but it surely would be nice to have.

See, for me, many of the upgrades and changes to various roadways in the OKC area are due to very practical things like easing congestion, rerouting, accommodating more current road use information, replacing old structures, and all of those are perfectly reasonable motives. But this business of seeing someone in an accident, typically multiple times per week, potentially seriously if not fatally injured, with the design of the interchange largely the reason, just compels me to get off my duff and grump about it somehow. If, for whatever reason over whatever period of time, OKDOT made this mess, I think it should be incumbent on them to make cleaning it up a priority. Even if part of that long-term solution includes a short-term nuisance of closing an exacerbating entrance ramp.

Then, in my book, it costs absolutely *zero* dollars to do the *one* thing that will mitigate against at least a good portion of the accidents at this location: Immediately and permanently close the EB on-ramp from Shields. I know it will hack off the folks who go up Shields to get on I-240, but they can go to SE 89th and head east to I-35, and loop right back on to EB I-240 from there. Heck, they can go a unit west and board EB I-240 at Walker. Either way, that Shields on-ramp has to go.

This won't solve all the problems, because cars migrating to the SB I-35 ramp from I-240 will still do so, but it eliminates the "scissoring" traffic caused by the inflow of the inbound traffic at the same location.

Something of substance has to be done at this location before ten years passes.
    I think the main problem is caused by the ( 10 lbs trying to fit in a 4 lbs bag ) theory. It's the Lane 3, E Bound 240 turning South / Lane 2, The E Bound 240 Turning to the N 35 / Lane 1, Single lane for E bound only / Lane 4, Shields On-Ramp. ....they all do this in a window of quarter mile. The clover leaf is the primary problem.

The ONLY solution is to spend money. Do this the correct way. ( whatever the price is? ...it's ok ) The drivers will not complain for a superior product. But spend $200 Mil, ...wait 10 years, and give us a death trap, again ????? Well, then we are back to where we started ??????.

Quote Originally Posted by OKVision4U View Post
    I think the main problem is caused by the ( 10 lbs trying to fit in a 4 lbs bag ) theory. It's the Lane 3, E Bound 240 turning South / Lane 2, The E Bound 240 Turning to the N 35 / Lane 1, Single lane for E bound only / Lane 4, Shields On-Ramp. ....they all do this in a window of quarter mile. The clover leaf is the primary problem.

The ONLY solution is to spend money. Do this the correct way. ( whatever the price is? ...it's ok ) The drivers will not complain for a superior product. But spend $200 Mil, ...wait 10 years, and give us a death trap, again ????? Well, then we are back to where we started ??????.
    Oh, I agree that a proper redesign of the interchange is the only real solution, but if that's a decade away, or even two years before anything is even started in terms of Phase 1 of X, something needs to be done in the short term that doesn't bust a budget. That's why I so heartily push the closure of the eastbound onramp to I-240 at Shields. Shut that puppy down now, put up barricades, flags, barrels, and "Severe Tire Damage" obstacles.

Not much, but its a start.

Oh, I agree that a proper redesign of the interchange is the only real solution, but if that's a decade away, or even two years before anything is even started in terms of Phase 1 of X, something needs to be done in the short term that doesn't bust a budget. That's why I so heartily push the closure of the eastbound onramp to I-240 at Shields. Shut that puppy down now, put up barricades, flags, barrels, and "Severe Tire Damage" obstacles.

I am 100% w/ ya. Let's do the easy things today. That would take pressure off that area w/ the Shields Ramp closed.

Yeah, and the Shields ramp is going to be closed anyway when the new ramp to I-35 southbound is built. There is no reason to keep it open if its already planned to be closed.

From the ODOT eight year plan link: http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/cwp-8...021_OCARTS.pdf

I-35/I-240 Interchange
    FFY 2015 Grade, Drain & Surface $16,109,500
    FFY 2015 Right Of Way $5,468,991
    FFY 2015 Utilities $5,623,800
    FFY 2018 Interchange $14,233,431
    FFY 2020 Interchange $24,881,850
    FFY 2021 Interchange $16,000,000
    FFY 2021 Interchange $31,000,000
    Total $113,317,572

This is what they need to build here:

I don't understand why Oklahoma highway construction is so small scale thinking when we could be building awesome interchanges like this. I've pretty much given up hope for the 235/44 interchange which will likely have regular back-ups in 10 years(the day they finish it, if OKC keep booming and grows faster).... they still have a chance to do this interchange right, so lets hope they do. These inferior hybrid interchanges need to stay out of OKC for major interchanges.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post

I don't understand why Oklahoma highway construction is so small scale thinking when we could be building awesome interchanges like this. I've pretty much given up hope for the 235/44 interchange which will likely have regular back-ups in 10 years(the day they finish it, if OKC keep booming and grows faster).... they still have a chance to do this interchange right, so lets hope they do. These inferior hybrid interchanges need to stay out of OKC for major interchanges.
    I absolutely agree with this.

^ I think that is one of two locations that type interchange would be appropriate. Maybe I44/I40 - but the 240/35 needs it far worse.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CaptDave View Post
    ^ I think that is one of two locations that type interchange would be appropriate. Maybe I44/I40 - but the 240/35 needs it far worse.
    I want to see interchanges like that at I-40/I-44, I-240/I-35, and I-35/I-235/I-40 and I-44/I-235. It's too late on the last one I guess, but the other should absolutely be redone with stack interchanges.

Quote Originally Posted by Hemingstein View Post
    I want to see interchanges like that at I-40/I-44, I-240/I-35, and I-35/I-235/I-40 and I-44/I-235. It's too late on the last one I guess, but the other should absolutely be redone with stack interchanges.
    I've got nice little rendering of that. I'll post it, I just want to add some touch ups to make it look nicer.

15. Default Re: I-240/I-35 interchange rebuild?

Something of larger scale like that would be appropriate there because of the amount of traffic it handles. I'm not sure an exact replica in scale, but similar in design and more efficient than the old cloverleaf. It's not going to happen though and I highly doubt I'll still be living here by the time they finish it.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post

The reason it is being built staggered out is we do not even really have the money to maintain the level of infrastructure we already have, let alone build in extra capacity that just would be nice to have (over the fact that the new structure add significantly larger capacity).

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    The reason it is being built staggered out is we do not even really have the money to maintain the level of infrastructure we already have, let alone build in extra capacity that just would be nice to have (over the fact that the new structure add significantly larger capacity).
    But we will be getting a 0.25% income tax cut!! Yay for the $50....

That, and the legislature's unwillingness use of bonds to fund infrastructure when rates are at historic lows, are indications the people of Oklahoma are not being well served by the crowd at 23rd & Lincoln.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Stacked interchanges aren't just "nice to have". They are safer to use.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CaptDave View Post
    But we will be getting a 0.25% income tax cut!! Yay for the $50....

That, and the legislature's unwillingness use of bonds to fund infrastructure when rates are at historic lows, are indications the people of Oklahoma are not being well served by the crowd at 23rd & Lincoln.
    Exactly. They have no interest in bettering Oklahoma, it's all about the stupid tax cut.

Is there any legislation at all proposed to allow ODOT to take out loans for road construction?

It'd be nice if ODOT would take out a billion dollar loan to fund doing these interchanges into stack and doing them right the first time as well as other important road construction. Also it could fund other high-priority road and highway projects such as the Purcell/Lexington bridge.

For Oklahoma politicians, it's all about being able to have a bullet list of conservative talking points whenever running for re-election. That is the only reason for the tax cuts. In my opinion, people who care that much about job security should be in a field other than public service.

Default I240 and I35 Interchange

http://www.oklahoman.com/article/3955086?embargo=1

Here’s what Larry Clore, of the state Transportation Department, can tell you, David:

“The department has been working to get this project started for years now, and we are finally getting close to beginning the construction process,” he said.

“We agree that this area needs some work and that is why the project is on our radar and in ODOT’s Eight-Year Construction Work Plan.

“We are currently acquiring rights of way and in 2015 will begin moving utilities. Construction is expected to begin in 2016, and as your reader stated, the Shields ramp to eastbound I-240 will close and the new eastbound I-240 to southbound I-35 will be built.

“There are no plans to close this ramp until construction begins because businesses in the area have been promised access. When construction is complete businesses will have better access in the area and the weaving motion the reader mentioned will be eliminated.”

Default Re: I240 and I35 Interchange

"There are no plans to close this ramp until construction begins because businesses in the area have been promised access. When construction is complete businesses will have better access in the area and the weaving motion the reader mentioned will be eliminated.”
    They say this, but the plans I have seen in the past doesn't really give people coming from Shields any better access after construction.

Closing a bridge that is about to collapse is also inconvient, but it has to be done in order to insure safety.

25. Default Re: I240 and I35 Interchange

They COULD set up shields access to eastbound 240, but because it's so close to the junction, it would require flyovers to link the traffic to both the 35 and 240 paths. It would be pretty messy to say the least. The extra downside to this is that there is no other eastbound ramp until you back track all the way to walker...a full mile and SEVERAL lights to the west.

I really would prefer the flyover option....it's done in Texas at every interchange. But ODOT is gonna do it on the cheap like usual.

Thread Information