Widgets Magazine
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 101112131415
  1. Default Re: I-35 / I-240 Exchange

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Regarding 8 year plan. I noticed a new I40 bridge over I44 got bumped up significantly on the timeline. Maybe part of the reason some of the other projects moved back.
    It would make a huge impact in that eastbound traffic jam every day. Small project with a huge win.

Default Re: I-35 / I-240 Exchange

Regarding 8 year plan. I noticed a new I40 bridge over I44 got bumped up significantly on the timeline. Maybe part of the reason some of the other projects moved back.
    It would make a huge impact in that eastbound traffic jam every day. Small project with a huge win.
    I am kind of skeptical of that, especially westbound in the evening. Since often the backing up starts past it, though it should help it clear faster. The worst backups eastbound tend to be traffic accidents, which may be related but may not. Granted the bridge decks have been in bad shape for a while

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    HUGE win! It should've been done years ago.

True, another thing driving this besides population growth out west is the anticipation that merging Blvd traffic will increase. That's one less right hand lane that has to end.

5. Default Re: I-35 / I-240 Exchange

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    I am kind of skeptical of that, especially westbound in the evening. Since often the backing up starts past it, though it should help it clear faster. The worst backups eastbound tend to be traffic accidents, which may be related but may not. Granted the bridge decks have been in bad shape for a while
    Do you drive this often?

The problem is the bridge over Portland is only 3 lanes instead of 4. So the traffic taking I44 West(south), has to merge into the 2 lanes going east on 40, before splitting off again. If the Portland bridge had 2 more lanes, you could dedicate one to the I44 traffic and have 3 to hand off to the new I44/I40 bridges that need 3 lanes over the interchange as well. Once you get west of the junction, I-40 has 2 areas where a single lane opens up to 2, so there's plenty of room to do this.

In the afternoon, the eastbound I40 traffic can back up past Council on really bad days, but is typically to McArthur-ish. And that's not from accidents, it's just traffic.

It would also help to figure out a way to get the Eastbound 40 traffic coming on from Meridian, to NOT have to cross 5 lanes to get to I44-East. In a perfect world, we'd use the Texas right-hand exit approach. If you need to take I44 in either direction, you exit to the right and take a flyover to your east/west ramp. No more crossing traffic.

It would also help to figure out a way to get the Eastbound 40 traffic coming on from Meridian, to NOT have to cross 5 lanes to get to I44-East. In a perfect world, we'd use the Texas right-hand exit approach. If you need to take I44 in either direction, you exit to the right and take a flyover to your east/west ramp. No more crossing traffic.
    This! They need flyover ramps for this intersection. The crossing from Meridian is ridiculous.

Thread Information