Widgets Magazine
Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: I-35 / I-240 Exchange

1. Default Re: I-35 / I-240 Exchange

Agree, for something so new, it seems stupid that it's already out of alignment....and is taking a LONG time to do.

As for the sections they left, i think this relates to where the new ramps will integrate with the old road. So it looks weird right now, but in 10 years when the project is done, i dont think it will look so weird.

Default Re: I-35 / I-240 Exchange

They are only going to work within the scope of the current project. It wouldn't make sense to spend the time and effort to blend in the new stuff with the old stuff when the old stuff will eventually be replaced also.

I know 63rd and I-235 will look bad for years since that ramp will be the last to be replaced.

I have one more gripe about the work that was done. The road that was paved is not smooth. It is wavy and has lumps if that makes sense. The first time I drove on it I thought I was on the Kolpatrick turnpike bridge. Ok. The road is not that bad, but you hopefully get my point. A new paving should be smooth without bumps and lumps.

Quote Originally Posted by emtefury View Post
    I have one more gripe about the work that was done. The road that was paved is not smooth. It is wavy and has lumps if that makes sense. The first time I drove on it I thought I was on the Kolpatrick turnpike bridge. Ok. The road is not that bad, but you hopefully get my point. A new paving should be smooth without bumps and lumps.
    Agree completely. I thought I was just being overly critical when I noticed how uneven the surface is in both directions, although I think it is much more pronounced on the westbound side. I drive this route EVERY day and that was one of the first things I noticed - the new surface is *not* even/level. It actually makes you think your suspension is screwed up! But when you realize the "bouncies" stop once you get past the new driving surface, you also realize it isn't your car!

^ I had assumed the new pavement was temporary, like what was done on 235 just south of 44, is it not?

Quote Originally Posted by KayneMo View Post
    ^ I had assumed the new pavement was temporary, like what was done on 235 just south of 44, is it not?
    Not the portion I'm talking about. This was new, excavated, rebuilt road.

7. Default Re: I-35 / I-240 Exchange

Just from my experience on driving on the section of 77 that they widened in Slaughterville all the new pavement they laid down was really bumpy and uneven until they were ready to open all lanes of traffic, then they put on a top coat of asphalt that was really smooth. I have a feeling that is what they are going to do there.

Quote Originally Posted by tfvc.org View Post
    Just from my experience on driving on the section of 77 that they widened in Slaughterville all the new pavement they laid down was really bumpy and uneven until they were ready to open all lanes of traffic, then they put on a top coat of asphalt that was really smooth. I have a feeling that is what they are going to do there.
    There's no final topcoat to put on. This is finished highway, with new center dividers, permanent signage, the works. They *did* have some temporary pavement put in while they *constructed* these new roads - and these were excavated out several feet, rebar put in, surfacing done - there's just nothing to indicate this "bumpy" stretch is anything but permanent. A new layer of stuff on top isn't going to fix the "bumpy" this stretch of road has - it isn't like a few potholes or some scuffs - this is a distinct rolling variability in what should be a substantially level surface. It shouldn't make me think I need new shocks.

Why is this surprising to people? Almost everything done in Oklahoma is subpar and below standards you'd see in other cities that are in almost any other state than Oklahoma.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Why is this surprising to people? Almost everything done in Oklahoma is subpar and below standards you'd see in other cities that are in almost any other state than Oklahoma.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Not true, plupan, and you know it.

12. Default Re: I-35 / I-240 Exchange

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda
    Actually all of the new construction that has been done so far in Norman has been pretty good in my opinion. The new Main St./I-35 interchange, the Robinson Underpass both have been done as good as I've seen projects in other cities. I'm sure once the Lindsey street interchange is finally done, it will look great also. Unfortunately, it does appear it is having quite an impact on some businesses but that's another thread (which we already have).

13. Default Re: I-35 / I-240 Exchange

The paving that's on 240 right now is not the permanent stuff. I'd actually be surprised if it didn't end up being concrete when it's said and over. They did a lot of work to pull out and re-bed the road (a lot of wasted effort if you ask me for what little elevation changed) but it's not the finished product. Just look at the shoulder width on the inside lane and you can see that they dont have it done. Remember, they have space on the inside reserved for construction workers right now....and that will still have to be re-leveled and paved as well to re-adjust the lines/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    The paving that's on 240 right now is not the permanent stuff. I'd actually be surprised if it didn't end up being concrete when it's said and over. They did a lot of work to pull out and re-bed the road (a lot of wasted effort if you ask me for what little elevation changed) but it's not the finished product. Just look at the shoulder width on the inside lane and you can see that they dont have it done. Remember, they have space on the inside reserved for construction workers right now....and that will still have to be re-leveled and paved as well to re-adjust the lines/etc.
    Hmm....just not sure I can get on board with that. The narrow interior shoulder is as much because they've maxed out the room for the lanes as anything else. The interior road was scraped down to raw earth and rebuilt. I just can't fathom that's a temporary situation. Mebbe someone at DOT could answer a question in that vein....

I dropped a line to the OKDOT via their "Contact Us" page and asked about the surfacing issue along this stretch. We'll see what, if anything, they have to say.

16. Default Re: I-35 / I-240 Exchange

Something else i thought about is if you look at the current paving, there's no drainage. It only rolls off to the construction area right now. I dont THINK they would just shove it to the shoulder in the permanent state. At least i would hope they wouldn't.

I just got a reply back from the ODOT!

From their letter back to me, the surfacing is going to be replaced because it was deemed by ODOT inspectors to be "substandard." It was supposed to be replaced at contractor expense this weekend, but weather forecasts have pushed that back.

So it WAS lousy work Three cheers to the ODOT for inspections and getting it replaced!

18. Default Re: I-35 / I-240 Exchange

They did put another layer down on the westbound side. it is better, but we'll see how it settles. it's still crap compared to the old road.

That's what happens when you employ PawPaw Dingleyberry's Construction Company to do the projects.

They did put another layer down on the westbound side. it is better, but we'll see how it settles. it's still crap compared to the old road.

That's what happens when you employ PawPaw Dingleyberry's Construction Company to do the projects.
    The westbound side was the worse of the two. I traveled the eastbound side today and it was....okay. Won't know about the westbound side until tonight.

20. Default Re: I-35 / I-240 Exchange

Westbound seems fine. But the new stuff seemed fine at first until the bed settled. So we'll see.

They were doing something last night over night, but i dont know what. The 2 inside lanes were closed again. At least this time, they did it during the night instead of screwing with rush hour.

Westbound seems fine. But the new stuff seemed fine at first until the bed settled. So we'll see.

They were doing something last night over night, but i dont know what. The 2 inside lanes were closed again. At least this time, they did it during the night instead of screwing with rush hour.
    The westbound side is....better, but I still notice a bit of the "bouncies" as before. We'll see how it goes. The eastbound side is OK.

soonerdave. Thanks for checking with ODOT on the road status. I have driven both sides and feel there is an improvement, but could still be better. That contractor probably lost so serious cash having to repave.

Quote Originally Posted by emtefury View Post
    soonerdave. Thanks for checking with ODOT on the road status. I have driven both sides and feel there is an improvement, but could still be better. That contractor probably lost so serious cash having to repave.
    Yup, I suspect so. I think this is the final product because lane striping has been laid down.

My lone remaining objection to this area is the rather sudden lane shift of about two feet just as you cross into the new area, then the switch back as you exit onto the existing (old) pavement. I'm really concerned about people not paying attention, driving "straight," and either getting hit or hitting someone that suddenly moved into "their" lane.

24. Default Re: I-35 / I-240 Exchange

Well remember the current "old" layout is temporary as that whole interchange is going to go. So much like other interchange re-dos, things will be a bit weird for a years while the get through it.

The I-35 south to I-40 east ramp was like this for a LONG time until the final phase of the project.....drive all and BAM, TURN NOW!

According to NewsOk, this project has also been suspended.

Thread Information