Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PGA Tournament in Oklahoma

Default PGA Tournament in Oklahoma

This is my first post at OKCTalk, but I have been a lingerer and reader for years. I searched high and low in the forums for a similar topic, but found nothing, so I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere.
    Can somebody tell me why Oklahoma City (or Tulsa) doesn't have a regularly scheduled stop for the PGA Tour and how we get one?

There have been three US Open's at Southern Hills (1958, 1977, and 2001) as well as four PGA Championships there, as well (1970, 1982, 1994, and 2007). Additionally, the PGA Championship was hosted at Oak Tree in 1988, and less well known--Twin Hills CC hosted the PGA Championship in 1935. So we have three major championship quality courses (although, Twin Hills is shorter than most Major-caliber courses now and would not be difficult enough for a major, either).

Furthermore, we had a regular PGA tour stop in the Oklahoma City Open Invitational that was hosted at Oklahoma City CC, Twin Hills CC, and Quail Creek CC. In fact, Arnold Palmer won once at Twin and once at QC.

According to Golf Digest, "In 2011, Golf Digest ranked Oklahoma City as the 12th best city in America for playing golf, which includes the second-lowest cost of public golf in the country." Additionally, The Wall Street Journal added, "Oklahoma City is the nerve center of golf...The Golf Channel's highest ratings come from Oklahoma City, which isn't even a stop on the PGA Tour."

Now, most of the courses I mentioned are not capable of hosting a major tournament by a long shot (less Oak Tree National and Southern Hills), but there are courses that could play host to a PGA Tour event every season I believe. Twin Hills, Oak Tree National, Gaillardia, and Southern Hills would be the best. Oak Tree and Southern Hills already have the formula down for transporting to their respective tournaments, parking, etc., but Twin has a plethora of resources at its disposal in the nearby Adventure Zone area that is full of parking, and could be further supplemented with buses for transportation to the tournament, much like Southern Hills and Oak Tree do for majors. Other courses could likely emulate this formulas.

What other courses could sustain a PGA stop? This tournament wouldn't have to be on a Players Championship magnitude of importance for sustainability or feasibility. After all, there are numerous tournaments every year where the pros tear the course up and record scores of -20 and better over four rounds. The OKC Tournament could be scheduled near the Byron Nelson and Colonial Tournaments for a sense of Regional cooperation/competition, and I'm many of our corporate interests would love to sponsor a tournament.

Similarly sized areas like Memphis, San Antonio, Charlotte, Austin, and Fort Worth have regular stops, while smaller towns like Jackson, MS, Akron, OH, Reno, NV and many others have PGA events too.

With all the interest in golf in this area, the history of tournaments held here and the players that have come out of here in any capacity (Locals or College Players), the high quality of courses, plus the number of golfers, I think OKC should really think about applying for a regular appearance on the Tour, however that is accomplished.

Default Re: PGA Tournament in Oklahoma

Welcome to the jungle!

I believe hosting tourneys is all down to the courses themselves and require a lot of effort to pitch, organize and host and a big investment as well.

We were on a pretty good roll with all the tournaments you mentioned until oil tanked in the early 80's. Oak Tree had become the course of choice in the OKC area but that club was sold and bought several times, including again just recently; at least the family course.

Gallardia went into receivership as well in the last few years.

Oklahoma is a golf-crazed state and agree it would be great to get more events but in the end I think it's down to the courses and clubs themselves and it seems like they generally don't want to be bothered with the whole thing.

3. Default Re: PGA Tournament in Oklahoma

Stay tuned...

Quote Originally Posted by s00nr1 View Post
    Stay tuned...
    No fair teasing!!

Stay tuned...
    duuuuuude, you can't do that!

cferguson Guest

Stay tuned...
    aah come on man!

Another thing to keep in mind is that the members of these clubs have to be open to having a tournament at their course. This usually means shutting down the course a couple weeks out of the year to get the course into tour shape. Some members might not be willing to lose a couple weeks out of the good weather months for golf in Oklahoma. Not sure if this is a huge factor, but I bet it plays into it a little bit. Not to mention how much work it would be to host an annual event.

Either way, I would be super pumped if we had an annual pga tour stop!

Quote Originally Posted by clffster16 View Post
    aah come on man!

Another thing to keep in mind is that the members of these clubs have to be open to having a tournament at their course. This usually means shutting down the course a couple weeks out of the year to get the course into tour shape. Some members might not be willing to lose a couple weeks out of the good weather months for golf in Oklahoma. Not sure if this is a huge factor, but I bet it plays into it a little bit. Not to mention how much work it would be to host an annual event.

Either way, I would be super pumped if we had an annual pga tour stop!
    Getting the course in shape for the course is one part, and then having 1,000s of people walk all over the course is another. It is good recognition for the club and Oklahoma, but a lot of members pay for that exclusivity and expect the course to be available year-round, weather permitting.

One of my mentors who was a founding member at Oak Tree National told me that they don't want a run of the mill open. They want Majors only due to the prestige of hosting a PGA Championship or US Open. Most casual golf fans can tell you the big names in golf courses because that is where majors are played, many casual fans couldn't tell you where they played the Shell Houston Open last year. That want to be on the former list, not the latter. I don't blame them for that. So that of course prompted my follow on of "Well then why aren't we getting a major?" That's a different problem and is mostly due to the lack of infrastructure required to host a major. Major events have 200,000+ attendees and that creates an ingress and egress problem. As Hwy 74 is widened to Waterloo (eventually) and the widening of Waterloo (whenever that happens) will help the clubs proposal. I went to the 2014 Sr. Open a couple of days and it was very fun, but to get a US Open would be incredible.

Blog Entries

Southern Hills bid on the 2020 and 2021 US Opens, but didn’t win. They plan to keep trying.

Heat is a huge issue, too. The events in Dallas/Ft. Worth/Houston/New Orleans/Memphis are mostly before or right around Memorial Day.

11. Default Re: PGA Tournament in Oklahoma

Sorry guys, have to go full cryptic Lackmeyer until details are more concrete. Let's just say the ball is in the early stages of rolling.

Slightly off topic but pound for pound this has to be the most sports obsessed state in the country. We get the highest pga ratings, thunder have sold out every game since existence, ou and osu both have top 10 athletic budgets, and hs football is a big deal. It's amazing really.

Blog Entries

Sorry guys, have to go full cryptic Lackmeyer until details are more concrete. Let's just say the ball is in the early stages of rolling.
    Gotta give it up to Steve; he will not tell you until it's time--he'll hint you to death with conversation that's as constipated as person choked on cheese while spinning you around like a swirl ball of cotton candy.

Let's hope the ball doesn't roll too far. Oklahoma has some really great courses. Tulsa's Southern Hills is by far the most noted in the state.

14. Default Re: PGA Tournament in Oklahoma

As a member of Oak Tree National the recent success of the Senior Events have def put the course back on the map. Golf Digest put it back in their Top 100 last year and just recently added it to their top 20 hardest courses list, along with some impressive company. And the above posters are right, they don't want an annual tournament there. Its majors, ryder cups, us amateurs, ect or bust. Which I think is fair. To me the best annual pga tour course would be Gaillardia. Got great highway access and lots of open land around it (for now). Plus a great clubhouse and overall presentation.

As far as majors go they are all booked up til 2023ish. I think Oak Trees best shot would be to get a PGA Championship or possibly the BMW Championship (a fedex cup playoff tourney). The US Open is such a logistical monster, I just don't think it would work out. Also, along that line, if they sell those open lots on the NE sides of the property that would almost eliminate any regular tour major. Stuff like that is key to hosting an event. But I know they are looking at other events as well. I know the 2021 Solheim Cup is on the radar. I don't know how well that would be received but it would be interesting nonetheless. Southern Hills did themselves a disservice about 8-9 years ago when they only went after US Opens and nothing else. But from reading stories online I think they are trying to get the same things as OTN is too. I think Southern Hills has a slight advantage over OTN in getting tourneys but its a nice competition to have between the courses.

Finally there are so many golfers right now on tour with Oklahoma ties, so it is disappointing we don't get to see them play locally. But I think more tourneys are on the way, just might be a while for Majors.

Blog Entries

There’s been the Patriot Cup pro-am in Owasso the last few years.

https://www.foldsofhonor.org/get-inv...p-invitational

Thanks for everybody's feedback. Thinking about the members from the CC's around town, I can't see many of the people I know giving up that much time to get the course in tour shape, only to be subsequently trampled and dead a week later. I think Gaillardia makes the most sense logistically. It was built to be a PGA caliber course, as Fred Couples and Phil Mickelson played an exhibition match to open the course, which was televised on Golf Channel.

Do you know a general time frame for when there will be an announcement?

So now we have a 'Mystery Golf Tournament' ?

Back in the '80's I went to the Senior Open at Quail Creek I believe.

Looks like Quail Creek hosted several Senior tournaments.

http://newsok.com/article/2136113

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    So now we have a 'Mystery Golf Tournament' ?

Back in the '80's I went to the Senior Open at Quail Creek I believe.

Looks like Quail Creek hosted several Senior tournaments.

Seniors to Play At Quail Creek In May of 1987 | News OK
    "PGA Senior Tour events are evaluated on a yearly basis by the PGA, but Quail Creek president Ron Norick said he hopes the Oklahoma City senior tournament will become an annual event.

We're starting with a two-year commitment from Southwestern Bell Publications," Norick said, "and what better sponsor can you have than something that is involved with the phone company?"

Well, if Mayor Norick said it was gonna happen, then it's gonna happen!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    There’s been the Patriot Cup pro-am in Owasso the last few years.

https://www.foldsofhonor.org/get-inv...p-invitational
    Tulsa area is doing it the correct way. Get something and build from there.

OKC needs to get something on an annual basis & build from there. Much like they did with the NFR before Las Vegas decided it wanted to lure an event attraction that would fill their Christmas calendar void.

20. Default Re: PGA Tournament in Oklahoma

I had forgot to mention this a while back and now it looks like its been made public, although not around here.

Oak Tree National is one of 6 finalists to host the 2021 Solheim Cup. It's the women's version of the Ryder Cup. Here is press releases out of Toledo:

http://www.13abc.com/sports/headline...380690671.html

OTN has to raise 5 million in local sponsorships, and 1 million in international.

Personally I don't know how to feel about it although it would be another solid feather in the clubs hat. I probably won't go unless they give members a hell of a discount. I can appreciate women's golf but don't really care for it. Interesting to see what kind of support it would have if they were to land it, although I would put my money on Lancaster CC in PA.

I was doing some research on majors the other day and thought it was very cool that of the two US majors that rotate, Southern Hills has hosted the 4th most majors, with a total of 7. The most PGA Championships at 4 times. Oklahoma as a whole has hosted 9 Majors, tying for 9th.

I would attend the Solheim

I would too.

My 13 year old daughter plays golf and she would go crazy if the Solheim cup was here.

Stay tuned...
    It has been over a year and I still haven't heard anything! Does anybody know any more information about a regular tour stop coming through!? Surely the veil of Lackmeyer-like secrecy about this hypothetical golf tournament has been lifted somewhat?

Thread Information