Widgets Magazine

Thread: Homeland to be remodeled, change to CashSaver

Mustang Homeland to be remodeled, change to CashSaver

In todays paper it states that Homeland in Mustang is changing to a CashSaver and will be remodeled. In addition they will be adding a couple of new retail expansion areas to the west side of the building.

Default Re: Homeland to be remodeled, change to CashSaver

I'm not sure how the Cash Saver model differs from most value oriented grocery stores, but here's the text from their website:

"Everything in Cash Saver is priced at cost on the shelf, with just 10% added to your total bill when you check out.

Product cost is determined by the expense it takes to buy it and get it from our suppliers to the shelf.

THE RESULT? UNBELIEVABLE SAVINGS ON YOUR FAMILY'S GROCERY BILL."

How on earth would you even know if you were paying cost on an item?

I have to say, I really don't like this game. It isn't that i don't understand it, it's that I don't LIKE it. So the price on the shelf says a dollar, and it rings up as a dollar, then there is another line on the receipt for 10 cents, then another line for about that for tax? Why not just price it at $1.10 on the shelf? I imagine the tax is going to be charged on this 10% upcharge as well, so why the game? I also agree that you don't know if you are really paying cost, but I can tell you based on wording that you're not. It says they calculate cost as being the cost of the item itself, plus the cost of getting it to the store and on the shelf. So there's the actual cost of the item, plus any delivery/receiving fees, plus a percentage to pay for the lights, plus a percentage to pay for the employee, plus plus plus. It's called overhead at every single other business EVER. Again, why the game?

Quote Originally Posted by skwillz View Post
    I'm not sure how the Cash Saver model differs from most value oriented grocery stores, but here's the text from their website:

"Everything in Cash Saver is priced at cost on the shelf, with just 10% added to your total bill when you check out.

Product cost is determined by the expense it takes to buy it and get it from our suppliers to the shelf.

You wouldn't. However, I think Aldi's is based on a similar (not identical) model, but I just don't think they market the cost-plus idea. I think this is (at least?) the second store being converted to this concept.

5. Default Re: Homeland to be remodeled, change to CashSaver

This will be the 5th or 6th to convert.

6. Default Re: Homeland to be remodeled, change to CashSaver

Did anyone else notice how poorly-written this article was? The second paragraph says pretty much exactly the same thing as the quote directly after it, just with more grammatical errors.

Homeland was always about gimmicks. When I worked there it was all double and triple coupons that brought people in. Customers did comment frequently that Homeland's meat and produce were among the best in town and they came there for that reason. This was back in the 90's when Homeland was still expanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott5114 View Post
    Did anyone else notice how poorly-written this article was? The second paragraph says pretty much exactly the same thing as the quote directly after it, just with more grammatical errors.
    Both Mustang papers are a complete joke. Trust me, this was typical writing. I wish I had saved it to show people, but one time one of them (they both suck so much I can't tell which is which anymore) had this as the subheadline for an article: "Subheadline goes here, for this most boring of stories". I distinctly get the impression that a trust fund baby/frat boy is in charge at each of them, and just doesn't give a damn because he's living large on Daddy's money.

Quote Originally Posted by corwin1968 View Post
    Homeland was always about gimmicks. When I worked there it was all double and triple coupons that brought people in. Customers did comment frequently that Homeland's meat and produce were among the best in town and they came there for that reason. This was back in the 90's when Homeland was still expanding.
    The Homeland at SW 104th and Penn still seems pretty decent in that regard. Meat section seems to carry brands and cuts that you don't find elsewhere. I like that they still have a full service deli with ready made meals, meats, and a bakery.

My guess is a lot of their business is from the older folks living in the area.

That being said, the place is usually empty so I wonder how much longer it'll stick around.

None of that cost of item spiel is true. All these retail food stores have contracts and receive a large portion of thier profits through rebates from the wholesaler. Also it's not unusual for a stores sales price to be below their cost but the rebate makes it up.

The Homeland at SW 104th and Penn still seems pretty decent in that regard. Meat section seems to carry brands and cuts that you don't find elsewhere. I like that they still have a full service deli with ready made meals, meats, and a bakery.

My guess is a lot of their business is from the older folks living in the area.

That being said, the place is usually empty so I wonder how much longer it'll stick around.
    The killer is that one mile west, Crest has everything in that list, every bit as good if not better, but their prices generally crush Homeland. Homeland hasn't been price-competitive in a long, long time. You have to know your prices with Crest, to be sure, but in general, that's a losing proposition for Homeland, and ultimately why they just can't last.

That's huge margin for a grocery store. Most run in the 1-3% range. They would be running a margin of 9%. (Markup is 10% margin is 9%)
    What Is the Profit Margin for a Supermarket? | Chron.com

I vote someone add "Mustang" to the thread title. Right now it just says, "Homeland to be remodeled, change to CashSaver." It probably should read "Mustang Homeland..."

It's in the Yukon/Mustang/El Reno forum. The 7th, 8th, and 9th words of the original post are "Homeland in Mustang". It has the Mustang tag. I guess I just don't see room for confusion.

Render of the remodel from the Mustang City Manager's Report.
    2016-01-30 18.56.38.jpg

I drove by a cash saver today, it didn't look great on the outside.

17. Default Re: Homeland to be remodeled, change to CashSaver

That does not surprise me. Homeland's idea of a remodel will placing a cheap looking sign outside. If they were serious they would have remodeled their 18th and Classen store long ago. they really missed the boat on that one. I could have been a flagship store for heritage hills and midtown.

As far as I can tell, "CashSaver" means "We don't mop the floors any more, and you can just forget about maintenance". Which sucks considering that the Mustang Homeland went a YEAR without replacing the lights in the freezer cases. Now it's going to get worse than that.

Article from the other Mustang paper, not much difference. I did find it interesting at the end it says Homeland is the 4th largest tax producer. Kind of sad for how little business I feel like it does.

Mustang Trade Center makeover continues - El Reno Tribune: News

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    That's huge margin for a grocery store. Most run in the 1-3% range. They would be running a margin of 9%. (Markup is 10% margin is 9%)
    What Is the Profit Margin for a Supermarket? | Chron.com
    As another former employee of homeland in the 90's. I remember the coupon gimmicks and the blue hairs that would come in and buy a lifetime supply of hominy with a stack of triple coupons. I got to learn the margin game. And %10 across the board is not the way the game is EVER played in retail. In the case of the triple coupon hominy, homeland would score several truckloads at a massive discount and disperse them across town. The margin markup would be something like %600 so the %0.05 hominy is now 30 cents. Slap the triple coupon on it and you've still doubled or tripled your investment. Compare that to a steak where the markup IS around %10. The $10 steak nets a dollar. Difference is it takes 20 cans of hominy to equal 1 steak. But your cost on the steak is over %90 compared to %16 for the can at full price, which most people pay. The trick is to hit 30/30/30=90 percent on food, labor, and overhead costs. Leaving 10 left for various expenses and profits. That sounds very Herman Caine-ey but it's the basics. So I don't understand the cost plus approach either. It's the cheap stuff like carbs and corn syrup that pull their weight in the food cost Dept. Cereal for example, is a gold mine.

Obviously homeland has tried to hang on to profits by not keeping employees. The more sales slump the higher food cost gets, leaving less room for employees costs.

I just don't understand the cost plus thing. That puts their food cost at 91 percent across the board. It's a bit baffling.

Thread Information