Widgets Magazine

Thread: Klemm's Smoke Haus

1. Default Klemm's Smoke Haus

Brick and mortar location officially opens at 2000 S Broadway today from 11-3 for lunch and 5-8:30 (or sold out) today.

I've eaten from the truck a couple of times and food has been solid.

Default Re: Klemm's Smoke Haus

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    Brick and mortar location officially opens at 2000 S Broadway today from 11-3 for lunch and 5-8:30 (or sold out) today.

I've eaten from the truck a couple of times and food has been solid.
    I've driven by several times over the past few months, and they have really done well with the minimal redesign of the old Taco Mayo. I impressed to say the least. It looks awesome.

As far as the food itself......is it barbecue? I mean, I get the smoked meats theme obviously...but the décor looked more like German/austrian/foreign symbols etc. Never been, so just curious.

From their Facebook page:

German BBQ? I'll have to try and remember to stop by on the way home tonight.

HangryHippo Guest

If it's anything at all like what I ate in Germany, I'll be doing my best to keep it in business.

6. Default Re: Klemm's Smoke Haus

They describe it as German inspired smoked meats..... Is it BBQ like most BBQ served around here... No

My best advice.... Don't go in with any expectations... Just go try it and appreciate it for what it is.

Is it ran by the same people who run Fassler?

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    Is it ran by the same people who run Fassler?
    No. It's a local Edmond family with a lot of restaurant management experience, but other than the food truck this is their first venture.
    I will say I am a tad bias. I have known the owners since I was a kid, and I did the lease for them at the Taco Mayo space.
    Literally the entire family is involved in the day to day operations and they are an EXCELLENT family!

But their food really is AWESOME! They do a great job with smoking their meats, and incorporating German flare with cole slaw and incorporating bratwurst.
    I don't think you will be disappointed if you try it!

My wife and I ate from the truck once and it was the worst thing called brisket I've ever eaten. Believe me if it is meat I'll eat it, but I ended up eating around all of the brisket after awhile.

Maybe it was an off day, or maybe I just didn't like the spices, idk.

Tried it, not bad. My first choice of a schnitzel sandwich didn't fly as they were out of that, so had something else but the name escapes me at the moment (entirely my fault, I remember that the name was memorable, just not what it was).

The check out experience was particularly interesting. They're using Square terminals, and on account of having registered with Square at some point in the past with my email address and my credit card, I received a receipt and an opportunity to leave a little feedback (which I did and which Klemm's already responded to).

every culture has their version of smoked meat. It was an old school way of preserving. I think I will have to give this place a try.

Oh yeah, what I got was the Porking Amazing sandwich. That's what I get for posting after midnight but before sleep.

13. Default Re: Klemm's Smoke Haus

Klemm's announced today they will be parking their trailer in the Brown's Bakery parking lot for lunch Wednesday through Saturday.

That's going to be a lot of BBQ in Midtown when/if Maple's and the new place where Foodie's was get opened and the occasional trucks (The Flying Pig and Smokin Okies) parking at Bleu Garten.

That's a good idea because that's a big lot that is never full.

15. Default Re: Klemm's Smoke Haus

It's a great idea! Edmond is too far for me to drive for lunch.

I saw around late June that Klemms moved out of their building and has been replaced by a hot dog joint? Interesting thing about the hotdog place. I saw they started in houston, have a dallas phone number, and now they're here?

I saw around late June that Klemms moved out of their building and has been replaced by a hot dog joint? Interesting thing about the hotdog place. I saw they started in houston, have a dallas phone number, and now they're here?

Great hotdogs, I’ve been a couple times and spoke with the owner(Monte). Who grew up here in OKC, moved to Houston and is now back in OKC with his hotdog food truck. Creole Dog and Étouffée dog are amazing!

They are remodeling the old Klemms spot, it’ll be interesting to see how well he does in a brick and mortar.

Klemm's said they are moving to a larger facility with a lot more outdoor space, and the only clue they gave was that it was further north in Edmond. Other than that, no idea where it is.

Quote Originally Posted by loveOKC View Post
    Great hotdogs, I’ve been a couple times and spoke with the owner(Monte). Who grew up here in OKC, moved to Houston and is now back in OKC with his hotdog food truck. Creole Dog and Étouffée dog are amazing!

They are remodeling the old Klemms spot, it’ll be interesting to see how well he does in a brick and mortar.
    I've enjoyed the houstonian and the jersey dog.

The prices listed are cash prices. They tack on extra for using card. Also despite pictures on their website otherwise, the hot dogs are steamed. They will grill if you request it.

Quote Originally Posted by Colbafone View Post
    Klemm's said they are moving to a larger facility with a lot more outdoor space, and the only clue they gave was that it was further north in Edmond. Other than that, no idea where it is.
    I'm sure it's not this, but I was just thinking that a smart growing restaurant might look at moving into the old Jonnies Express building on Danforth. It's already setup for curb service, and there's a large parking lot (plenty of room for a smoker or three).

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    I'm sure it's not this, but I was just thinking that a smart growing restaurant might look at moving into the old Jonnies Express building on Danforth. It's already setup for curb service, and there's a large parking lot (plenty of room for a smoker or three).
    Boomerang Grill on its way. Never been to one so I don’t know if that’s good or bad!

Quote Originally Posted by tsou89 View Post
    Boomerang Grill on its way. Never been to one so I don’t know if that’s good or bad!
    I went to one when I was in undergrad in Norman. They had ayce tenders. Service was poor, but the tenders were good!

Nm
    Last edited by Jersey Boss; 12-03-2020 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Didn't understand terminology

I went to one when I was in undergrad in Norman. They had ayce tenders. Service was poor, but the tenders were good!
    I was at OU at that time too.

Wasn’t sure if it’s the same people that had it back then.

Thread Information