Widgets Magazine

Thread: Mobile Home purchasing?

Default Mobile Home purchasing?

I'm looking to buy my first home and my parents have offered me up two acres of their property to move a trailer or build a home. Unfortunately being my first home, building a home is out of my price range due to increased cost and also some really stupid decisions in my college years that effected my credit. . So we're looking at a mobile home to live in for 5-10 years then sell it and move it to finance buying and building something else.

That being said does anyone have any experience on purchasing and shopping for mobile homes in the OKC area? We're looking for a place that could potentially finance and include well, septic, and possibly building the driveway to the property if that's something that companies like this do.

I know Shields is probably the place to go to, but the property is out by Shawnee so I wasn't sure if anyone knew of any reputable companies to check into. Palm Harbor was suggested by a friend but I either see really great reviews or really terrible reviews.

Much thanks in advance!

Default Re: Mobile Home purchasing?

After our double wide home burned on our acreage, to speed up the recovery process we went down on S. Sheilds and shopped homes, with the idea of puting a new double wide back in the same place and tie it back into the electrical, well and septic. After looking at many homes, and comparing packages, layout, features and build quality, we settled on a Palm Harbor home of a modest size. We worked out a very good deal on it, put down a $500 deposit and a few days later their company rep came out and did their sight survey and the plan was set in motion. In the mean time, I got to talking to a builder and after comparing all of the benefits of having a stick built home over a manufactured home. We turned around and got all but $150 of our l deposit back on the new double wide and ended up building a new 1360 sq ft home for $104k. Not much more than the nice double wide we chose. The new construction was tied into the existing electrical, well & septic. The Palm Harbor folks were good to work with though. They just kept the $150 of our deposit for their trouble of coming out for the sight survey.

Maxey's also over on Shields is a great company to work with, they also carry repos and as well as brand new....

Prestige Manufactured Homes :: Shawnee, OK

Another good family in Shawnee, couple of brothers own it, they also build new construction hems as well

I guess every need and impression is different, but we shopped them all down on Shields, and Maxey's didn't sit well for us at all.

Maxey's doesn't have very strong online reviews.

7. Default Re: Mobile Home purchasing?

Have some relatives that went with a mobile home. They knew it wouldn't be their 'forever' home and keeping in mind these will depreciate like a car (and can be even harder to get rid of), they opted to go with a repo unit. It was a double wide and had lots of up-to-date amenities. Plus, it was considerably cheaper than a new one. They are still in it. I'm betting its paid for and they'll probably use it for a guest house and build a brick and mortar home close by at some point.

I know of a few people who bought an older, well care fored one. They used it for say about 5 years, saved their money and then built there dream home on their property and paid as they built to avoid debt. The mobile homes they bought were paid for or they borrow a very small amount. The whole Idea was just something to live in while they saved to build their dream home. As soon as they could get their dream home liveable, they sold their mobile to another person doing the same thing. If I know what i know now, I would not have built my house and had to deal with a 30 year morgage and struggled for a number of years working 2 jobs with most of my payment going for the interest. Just saying being debt free is a great feeling.

Definitely go with a repo IMO. Given your plan I think it will be the best bang for your buck until you can afford to build something. I've looked into this company when we were looking at doing a lake place before we built at the lake. Plus I always thought they had a cool name. They have 2 locations one of which is fairly close to you.

Sherlock Homes

10. Default Re: Mobile Home purchasing?

Another option that I forgot my wife's relatives did.

They bought some land and then built a large barn type structure out of metal on a concrete slab. I'm guessing it was probably 2,000 sq. feet. They then took about 600-700 sq feet and made a nice small apartment. They lived there while they saved money and eventually acted as a contractor for their house. Doing a lot of the manual labor themselves. When they were done they simply moved a few walls - reducing the barn apt. to about 300' for a guest space and used the rest of the barn as a shop, garage, storage. Seemed like a real cost savings and they weren't left with trying to get rid of a mobile home.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post

They bought some land and then built a large barn type structure out of metal on a concrete slab. I'm guessing it was probably 2,000 sq. feet. They then took about 600-700 sq feet and made a nice small apartment. They lived there while they saved money and eventually acted as a contractor for their house. Doing a lot of the manual labor themselves. When they were done they simply moved a few walls - reducing the barn apt. to about 300' for a guest space and used the rest of the barn as a shop, garage, storage. Seemed like a real cost savings and they weren't left with trying to get rid of a mobile home.
    This was going to be my exact suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post

This is what my sister and brother-in-law are doing. It helps that he is a metal building contractor by trade.

Or build a building and set a motorhome inside. I have a friend that's set up like that at Eufala. They're close to retirement so travel plus lake time are both in their plans. Once fully retired their Okc home will be sold and then full time in the MH.

Thread Information