Widgets Magazine

Thread: Grand Blvd building

Default Grand Blvd building

SIAP

This is out of pure curiosity, but does anyone know what is being built at about 3500 NE Grand Blvd.? It's kind of an odd shaped building, it still has exposed lumber (no insulation, siding or brick), has what appears to be a front door at a weird angle, and is going veeerrrry slowly.

It's on the east side of I-35 just south of 36th St.

I didn't think streetview would have an image of it, but I believe this is it in the early stages: https://www.google.com/maps/@35.5050...2!8i6656?hl=en

Default Re: Grand Blvd building

that's a tough one... i can find the outline of the parcel using the map search on the assessor's site, but it gets confused when trying to identify it. i'm not sure if google maps is wrong or if grand blvd is ambiguous here, but i think grand is actually about a quarter mile west of this location where the railroad museum is. the assessor's site lists several properties along this road as "i-35", so at least for their purposes it is the frontage road. however, searching for even numbered properties along i-35 in the 3000's, the most northern property returned is 3324, which is the building that used to have a 'lennox' sign and is a bit south of this location. -M

I think you're correct, it is a frontage road. Grand Blvd has always been a bit of a confusing road so it's not shocking that google maps would have it wrong.

I believe the address here is 3500 N I-35 Service Rd, which (combined with the "Permit #" sign visible in Google Maps Street View) turns up a building permit (among several other permits) issued in 2013(!) for Po'Boys Seafood (BLDC-2013-03948).

yep... that looks like it!

plugging "3500" into the assessor's site, shows that they entered the street as "i 35" (i searched for both "i-35" and "i35")... the commercial property is owned by "NEWEY FAMILY PARTNERS." from the pictures, it looks like the site of a former gas station, the last structures of which being demo'd sometime between 2010 and 2011.

-M

Yeah, I see a demo permit issued on 2010-10-13, so that would have happened shortly thereafter. As for the new construction: Curiously, the new construction does not appear to match the site plan in the building permit...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PoBoysSeafood.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	166.9 KB 
ID:	12072

Okay, yeah, after comparing what's in the building permit to the Street View image of this thing, something's really off here. What they're building is similar to what's on the permit, but stuff isn't lining up the same, like openings for windows and doors. The submitted design is pretty unique, too:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PoBoysSeafoodExterior.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	12073
    Last edited by baralheia; 01-12-2016 at 12:32 PM. Reason: More Details

Po' Boys, huh? I guess that's why it's going so slow, they're po'. I wonder if this is going to become a decade long build like the restaurant on Ed Noble parkway in Norman?

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    yep... that looks like it!

plugging "3500" into the assessor's site, shows that they entered the street as "i 35" (i searched for both "i-35" and "i35")... the commercial property is owned by "NEWEY FAMILY PARTNERS." from the pictures, it looks like the site of a former gas station, the last structures of which being demo'd sometime between 2010 and 2011.

-M
    Martin,
    Yes, it was a gas station of some kind for a long time.
    C. T.

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    I believe the address here is 3500 N I-35 Service Rd, which (combined with the "Permit #" sign visible in Google Maps Street View) turns up a building permit (among several other permits) issued in 2013(!) for Po'Boys Seafood (BLDC-2013-03948).
    Baralheia,
    I googled "Po' Boys" and all I come up with is the Catfish and Po' Boys on Reno and Douglas in Midwest City with a new one that just opened in Del City on Sooner near I-40. If it's the same man, I hope he does well, the food is pretty good. I haven't had the catfish, but somebody on this forum mentioned that it was really good.
    C. T.

He also has a food truck, and I'm pretty sure that Pete mentioned the catfish.
    C. T.

This building is moving soooo sloooowly. Can anyone give me a good reason why someone would do this? I would think it would make more sense to have your money or financing in place before you start to build instead of doing it piecemeal.

This building seems to be stalled. If it is indeed intended to be a restaurant, I can't imagine why anyone would pick this location. It's off by itself and close to nothing.

Thread Information