Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Oklahoma Commercial Aviation discussion

Default Re: 2016 Oklahoma Commercial Aviation discussion

Quote Originally Posted by pure View Post
    You guys don't remember that we did used to be a hub?? For the almighty Great Plains Airlines!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Plains_Airlines
    It was a hub, but it wasn't a "hub" in what you would think. I believe they peaked at 3 gates?

2. Default Re: 2016 Oklahoma Commercial Aviation discussion

"Hub" is a very loose application for the Great Plains operation here. Heck, I'm sure Southwest has more connecting passengers at OKC than GP did on a daily basis.

And yes, completely agree with not flying Allegiant. I used to have respect for its management but after seeing how many emergencies and maintainence-related diversions it's had in the last few years that has flown out the window (no pun intended). One only has to do a simple Youtube search to find out whether or not one wants to fly this airline Reminds me of Valujet's days before the infamous Everglades accident.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Catch....I am glad you have stayed active on the OKCTalk board. Your insight is always great and informative.
    Second this! As a frequent user of WRWA, I enjoy reading the insightful analysis of someone in the industry. Keep it coming, catch!

4. Default Re: 2016 Oklahoma Commercial Aviation discussion

Here's a nice feature story from channel 6 in Tulsa on AA's MD-80 retirement process:

http://www.newson6.com/story/3268152...ed-to-boneyard

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Yikes. Wonder what's going on with AA?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Brasky View Post
    Yikes. Wonder what's going on with AA?
    Oil traffic reduction + they are not offering as many seats into OKC as the RJ's have begun to takeover the OKC-DFW route.

HangryHippo Guest

Oil traffic reduction + they are not offering as many seats into OKC as the RJ's have begun to takeover the OKC-DFW route.
    Replacing the MD-80s?

Good to see some Delta growth.

Replacing the MD-80s?

Good to see some Delta growth.
    Yes initial indications seem to show that the 80's will ultimately be filled by mainly RJ's with a sprinkle of 737-800's on the higher demand peak times.

10. Default Re: 2016 Oklahoma Commercial Aviation discussion

Yes initial indications seem to show that the 80's will ultimately be filled by mainly RJ's with a sprinkle of 737-800's on the higher demand peak times.
    Yet another reason 2016 will be my last year flying AA exclusively.

Quote Originally Posted by s00nr1 View Post
    Yet another reason 2016 will be my last year flying AA exclusively.
    They have traded capacity for frequency, so really you have more connecting options. It's not necessarily a bad thing, although as an enthusiast I rather see the larger metal coming in.

12. Default Re: 2016 Oklahoma Commercial Aviation discussion

Man I don't hate RJs at all. It's not like a turboprop, with which a lot of people seem to confuse them. Quieter, fast as a larger jet, flies above weather, quicker loading/unloading than larger planes, and seems to me the leg room is as good or even at times better. When you consider that more RJs equals more flight times to choose from, I'll take 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Man I don't hate RJs at all. It's not like a turboprop, with which a lot of people seem to confuse them. Quieter, fast as a larger jet, flies above weather, quicker loading/unloading than larger planes, and seems to me the leg room is as good or even at times better. When you consider that more RJs equals more flight times to choose from, I'll take 'em.
    Depends on which one. The newer wider ones that Delta is flying with a 1-2 wide seat configuration in first class and a 2-2 wide in coach are fine. The older skinny RJs with no first class and a 1-2 wide in coach is just to small for a big guy or a tall guy. DL was using that one for the OKC -MSP route for a while and that is too long on that size jet.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Depends on the RJ and where you're flying from. Many times flying an old E145 from the east coast to here against a strong jet stream, those trips are brutal and typically over 4 hours easily.

HangryHippo Guest

I love flying the Embraer RJs to Houston or Chicago or Minneapolis or Denver or Dallas - typically any flight 1 hour 50 minutes or shorter. Any other type of RJ and I'm out. They're just too uncomfortable. And the Embraer to Newark is terrible. That flight is too long.

I love flying the Embraer RJs to Houston or Chicago or Minneapolis or Denver or Dallas - typically any flight 1 hour 50 minutes or shorter. Any other type of RJ and I'm out. They're just too uncomfortable. And the Embraer to Newark is terrible. That flight is too long.
    The ERJ has been replaced by an E170 to EWR for a long time now. We had them when I worked in OKC. It's more comfortable than any mainline jet.

That's good, that EWR flight on a E145 coming back to OKC was over 4.5 hours last time I did it.

Even the E170 from IAD back to OKC was four hours though

Quote Originally Posted by bradh View Post
    That's good, that EWR flight on a E145 coming back to OKC was over 4.5 hours last time I did it.

Even the E170 from IAD back to OKC was four hours though
    Well good news if you don't enjoy longer fights is that IAD gets cut in March to 3.5 flights a week and we lose EWR for the winter/spring again.

They have traded capacity for frequency, so really you have more connecting options. It's not necessarily a bad thing, although as an enthusiast I rather see the larger metal coming in.
    At least they are using regional jets on a short route, verses how we often get regional jets even flying halfway across the country.

Whoa..IAD gets cut to 3.5/weekly in March? Is this seasonal reduction? What days of the week will the flight operate?

Does UA increase seat capacity elsewhere to compensate? I never like seeing flight reductions to OKC

Quote Originally Posted by damonsmuz View Post
    Whoa..IAD gets cut to 3.5/weekly in March? Is this seasonal reduction? What days of the week will the flight operate?

Does UA increase seat capacity elsewhere to compensate? I never like seeing flight reductions to OKC
    The discontinuance of the nonstop flights next year is not showing yet in the reservation systems so it's difficult to say at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    The discontinuance of the nonstop flights next year is not showing yet in the reservation systems so it's difficult to say at this point.
    I am wondering if it was an error when they uploaded the schedule to the OAG. As the new changes should be reflected immediately.

I bet there was a bad equipment code (the equipment code the airlines use internally don't always match exactly what the OAG wants. For example I believe United now uses E7W for the SkyWest E-175, which internally is a SkyWest E175, but a Mesa E175 is just E75, the OAG only recognizes E75 for equipment. So if United didn't replace the E7W with E75 when uploading to the OAG, the OAG would show an error for the flights. If they are transitioning the flying to SkyWest halfway through March, it is possible that only half of the frequencies showed up in the OAG update despite United is still selling all 31 March RT's. If only 16 RT's showed valid for sale for March, it would show up as a half frequency.

If that makes sense.

Hey catch22, it seems United is making a ton of schedule changes right now, some buddies of mine booked flights to MSP from IAH for a guys trip in October, and they just changed their flight back home from an 8am departure to 5am, so all 5 of them are rightfully pissed. What can one do when that happens?

Quote Originally Posted by bradh View Post
    Hey catch22, it seems United is making a ton of schedule changes right now, some buddies of mine booked flights to MSP from IAH for a guys trip in October, and they just changed their flight back home from an 8am departure to 5am, so all 5 of them are rightfully pissed. What can one do when that happens?
    https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...le-change.aspx

Rebooking options if a schedule change has affected your itinerary

If your scheduled departure or arrival time changes by 30 minutes or more, we're happy to try to find other available flight options that meet your needs. Please keep the following in mind when you call:

Your origin and destination will have to be the same as on your original itinerary.
    If you have a connection, you may be able to choose a different connecting city or airport.
    Alternative flights must be operated by United or our United Express® partners.

If we aren't able to find any other flights that meet your needs, requesting a refund may be an option. See the section below for more information.

Sorry, I knew that already, was basically wondering from an airline employee if you really have any realistic shot at rebooking or if you're pretty much SOL.

Thread Information