Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: 2016 Earthquake Discussion

Default Re: 2016 Earthquake Discussion

9:05 here in Midwest City. I'm guessing in the high 3's but if it's an aftershock from Pawnee, it could be stronger.
    C. T.

We felt it at NW 178th & May. It felt like someone kicked the couch. Very short but sharp.

The OGS just updated their list and have it at 3.7. I emailed my friend in London and told her my guess was 3.8. Pure luck with a little bit of "educated guess" working for me.
    C. T.

Felt it in NE OKC. Like corwin1968 said it was shirt and sharp. I thought my dog had slammed into the wall and only noticed it was a quake when my table had residual shaking. Much closer than previous quakes have been..

Felt it relatively strongly in S OKC, near Plaza Mayor. Like others said, it was a short, sharp movement like a quick shove. Didn't last long but both me and the fiancé felt it, and he misses most of 'em.

I'm curious, are these quakes spooking the CRE market in OKC? Or are most investment grade buildings built to seismic standards?

So I guess there is this too:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/stu...D=ansmsnnews11

I'm certainly no expert. Someone at the TU forum the other day asked about coinciding earthquakes earlier on the 4th on the west coast and if they could have been connected to the one in OK. The "expert" quickly dispelled that saying that the plates in question are basically (somehow) separated around the Rocky Mountains and that there was little to no chance the events could have been connected.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post

I'm certainly no expert. Someone at the TU forum the other day asked about coinciding earthquakes earlier on the 4th on the west coast and if they could have been connected to the one in OK. The "expert" quickly dispelled that saying that the plates in question are basically (somehow) separated around the Rocky Mountains and that there was little to no chance the events could have been connected.
    My son lives in Scottsdale and on their news stations people in Gilbert Arizona claimed they felt our Pawnee quake. Gilbert is near Phoenix and is west of the Rockies. So who knows ?

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/34f0e...souri-oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post

That sounds like complete hogwash to me. EVERYTHING is connected.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck5815 View Post
    That sounds like complete hogwash to me. EVERYTHING is connected.
    Wow.

Two words: Plate tectonics.

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    Wow.

Two words: Plate tectonics.
    Yeah but your main plates run near the borders of the continents or just in the ocens. Rockys were formed from the Pacific and Atlantic plates pressingagainst eachother. There have been major earthquakes in the past on the west coast that did damage as far east as Ohio (I believe the 1906 San Fran quake). It could have been felt.

I may have parsed it incorrectly. Can an earthquake be felt across plates? Of course. Does that necessarily mean that one quake had anything to do with another quake 72 hours apart and hundreds of miles away? Nope. The part I was replying to claimed it was hogwash that plates are "somehow" separated. It's not hogwash, it's literally the cause of earthquakes.

KFOR made a big deal about a 2.7 quake centered under Edmond. Such quakes are more startling for the sudden noise they make, rather than the shaking. The numerous quakes under 3.0 are why they don't get taken more seriously than they are in Oklahoma. KFOR sensationalizing such minor quakes doesn't help.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    KFOR made a big deal about a 2.7 quake centered under Edmond. Such quakes are more startling for the sudden noise they make, rather than the shaking. The numerous quakes under 3.0 are why they don't get taken more seriously than they are in Oklahoma. KFOR sensationalizing such minor quakes doesn't help.
    I watched them mention that quake on the 6PM news and never considered it to be sensationalized.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I watched them mention that quake on the 6PM news and never considered it to be sensationalized.
    In the 5:00 hour they had a persistent graphic in the top left of the screen declaring the earthquake and that more details would be coming soon. I think they toned it down once they discovered it was a smaller quake.

Slept through the reported 4.5 earthquake in Pawnee last night, though widespread shaking was reported.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquak...s100073m6#dyfi

I felt it.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    I felt it.
    I did, too and heard my French doors rattle. Hopefully, earthquakes stronger than 4.0 don't get closer to Stillwater. The 5.8 one in the neighboring county on Sept. 3rd was plenty frightening enough. The closer ones have generally been staying under 3.0.

19. Default Re: 2016 Earthquake Discussion

Fairly strong quake felt in SW OKC.

Mustang felt that one. A good shake, followed by a sort of sway/shimmer.

That was quite a shake!

22. Default Re: 2016 Earthquake Discussion

That was a pretty good one up here around Rockwell and Expressway. I usually don't feel them but it shook my whole computer screen and tv.

Odd. My husband was upstairs and felt it. I was downstairs and didn't even notice. But I was also scurrying around taking down Halloween decorations and in motion at the time.

In SW OKC a mile from Hobby Lobby HQ. Felt it enough under my feet to know it was an earthquake. But nothing shaking in the house.

Same here. The long swaying afterwards was different.

Thread Information