Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: 2016 Earthquake Discussion

Default Re: 2016 Earthquake Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
    We just felt that one! broke an antique picture frame
    That's awful. Due to the lateness of the hour quake happened, I have to hope there were at least a few Republican legislators at the state capital who sensed it.

Felt a jolt in Yukon. Actually woke me up from the couch and heard a nearby lamp shade rattling.

Me and none of my friends felt anything in Norman. Seems to have dropped off quite quickly with distance. Heard from a friend that it shifted their couch in Shawnee.

It seems in the past few weeks that there have been more quakes just to the NE of OKC in the Luther/Prague corridor than before, in contrast to the recent months up them being focused up near in Fairview, though most have been small with the exception of yesterday. I wonder if we're in the midst of a 'swarm' in this region, which would be felt much more in the metro.

Maybe a shift in one area creates tension in another.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    That's awful. Due to the lateness of the hour quake happened, I have to hope there were at least a few Republican legislators at the state capital who sensed it.
    I work less than a mile from the Capitol and my building was shaking pretty darn good. I have little doubt that people within the Capitol complex felt it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Doubt it. Their wallets are cushioned with contributions from the culprits.

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post
    Me and none of my friends felt anything in Norman. Seems to have dropped off quite quickly with distance. Heard from a friend that it shifted their couch in Shawnee.

It seems in the past few weeks that there have been more quakes just to the NE of OKC in the Luther/Prague corridor than before, in contrast to the recent months up them being focused up near in Fairview, though most have been small with the exception of yesterday. I wonder if we're in the midst of a 'swarm' in this region, which would be felt much more in the metro.
    nm

Lately, the earthquakes have decreased to a lower frequency level seldom seen before in recent years. Apparently, lower pressure levels asked for by the OCC are working. But every time before when earthquakes tried to subside they soon come roaring right back. We'll see what happens in coming weeks.

Just threw this graph together with data from the USGS, confirming my suspicions: earthquakes have decreased significantly since the announcement on 3/7/16 of additional regulations on wastewater injection volume (see: http://earthquakes.ok.gov/wp-content...-REDUCTION.pdf). Go figure.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ok_earthquakes.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	14.7 KB 
ID:	12596

Just threw this graph together with data from the USGS, confirming my suspicions: earthquakes have decreased significantly since the announcement on 3/7/16 of additional regulations on wastewater injection volume (see: http://earthquakes.ok.gov/wp-content...-REDUCTION.pdf). Go figure.

Name:	ok_earthquakes.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	14.7 KB 
ID:	12596
    Yeah the earthquakes were getting crazy and very concerning around the time of the new year, but they have decreased significantly recently. It's been a while since I've felt a significant one.

Was just thinking of posting in this thread the other day because there hasn't been a good quake in a while.

Just felt a super long one about a couple minutes ago ~8:35am.

that felt like a 5+ here near the airport

13. Default Re: 2016 Earthquake Discussion

I never feel them in my office, and that shook really hard - near 63rd and Western.

Quote Originally Posted by SSEiYah View Post
    that felt like a 5+ here near the airport
    I live at sw corner of airport and felt it. Quick but good shake. I usually fon't feel them.

4.3 mag 9KM ENE of Luther.

Hmmm, didn't hear or feel a thing sitting at the breakfast table with my family in midtown. Hubby and kiddo didn't either.

I'm on the southside and it was very quick and abrupt for me. A co-worker was leaning on the table I use as a desk and I thought he had hit the bottom of it with his leg. Just a sharp jolt and it was over. I wouldn't have known it was a quake if he hadn't pointed it out.

18. Default Re: 2016 Earthquake Discussion

Name:	14034736_1143066525716433_8936625899859467299_n.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	12877

Quote Originally Posted by turnpup View Post
    Hmmm, didn't hear or feel a thing sitting at the breakfast table with my family in midtown. Hubby and kiddo didn't either.
    This is the thing that I find fascinating, as there have been several others that people have flipped out over and I never felt.
    This one I felt down by the boathouse district, felt it for a while too.

20. Default Re: 2016 Earthquake Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by bradh View Post
    This is the thing that I find fascinating, as there have been several others that people have flipped out over and I never felt.
    This one I felt down by the boathouse district, felt it for a while too.
    I have noticed that in our building that people that are sitting feel them but people that are up walking about don't feel them.

21. Default Re: 2016 Earthquake Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    I have noticed that in our building that people that are sitting feel them but people that are up walking about don't feel them.
    Same thing happened with me today. I was sitting, and felt a strong jolt while my coworker felt nothing walking just feet away.

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    Same thing happened with me today. I was sitting, and felt a strong jolt while my coworker felt nothing walking just feet away.
    Was literally walking in my driveway to my car as this happened in NW OKC and didn't feel anything. Pretty big one out of the blue, though.

23. Default Re: 2016 Earthquake Discussion

Was literally walking in my driveway to my car as this happened in NW OKC and didn't feel anything. Pretty big one out of the blue, though.
    Luther has actually had a couple of 3.X quakes over the last two days.

I work at Hobby Lobby Distribution and did not witness a thing. Granted, we're moving all the time so had I been stationary, it might have been different!

big one

Thread Information