Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Earthquake Discussion

Default Re: 2016 Earthquake Discussion

There oughta be a law a'gin' lubricatin' geological faults in the name of progress. Dang. Who made the rule that "Oil Money" is "Easy Money"? I actually felt a bit guilty and sympathetic filling up the tank at the local Love's at under 20 dollars. After reading the newspaper headlines about the lay-offs and whatnots . . . Then, I thought to myself . . . well, at least Russia and OPEC is takin' care o' business . . .

2. Default Re: 2016 Earthquake Discussion

Does anyone have the UC Berkeley MyShake app installed?

Quote Originally Posted by tfvc.org View Post
    Does anyone have the UC Berkeley MyShake app installed?
    I do -- though I can't figure out if I have to have it actively running (with the icon in the notification bar) in order for it to be working or if it works in the background. Either way, pretty cool idea.

4. Default Re: 2016 Earthquake Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post
    I do -- though I can't figure out if I have to have it actively running (with the icon in the notification bar) in order for it to be working or if it works in the background. Either way, pretty cool idea.
    It keeps that icon in the bar to keep Android / iphone from shutting it down. It is a more persistence state.

I installed it but at the bottom it say, "waiting for phone to steady", even after setting on the dresser for 9 hours. Anyone else have that message?

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    I installed it but at the bottom it say, "waiting for phone to steady", even after setting on the dresser for 9 hours. Anyone else have that message?
    You sure there weren't small earthquakes for 9 hours straight? This is Oklahoma, after all....

7. Default Re: 2016 Earthquake Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Every time you pick it up or handle it, it will say that.

Felt another big one downtown

Well hello........every time I hear that I half way expect to see a semi truck drive thru the front door.

last night at about 8:35 and again this morning at about 2:38. I heard them both coming right before the "kick". Any word on intensities?.

11. Default Re: 2016 Earthquake Discussion

Shook us out of bed as we live very close to the 3.9 this morning.

According to my Quake Feed App:

2/22 12:56am 2.8 Edmond
    2/22 6:48pm 2.9 Edmond
    2/22 8:08pm 2.6 Edmond
    2/22 8:35pm 3.5 Edmond
    2/23 2:44am 3.9 Edmond
    2/23 2:51am 2.9 Edmond
    2/23 3:37am 2.8 Edmond
    2/23 8:16am 2.8 Edmond

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post

Wow, they don't get that persistent in Stillwater. They're too far away to be felt in Stillwater, but I sure hope the State Capitol isn't too far away to feel them. But far too many of them are not happening during working hours.

13. Default Re: 2016 Earthquake Discussion

I've been feeling rumbles all day. Will be curious to see if this turns out to be the most active tremor day in this area.

good timing, seeing how there's an earthquake forum in edmond today at 4:30 at UCO. erin brockovich is the keynote speaker.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post

Wow. Quite active. Thanks BBates. I'll have to look into that app.

I guess I'm not that sensistive to to the tremmors in the 2's. Seems I'm missed a lot of of them. I heard rumblings today at the shop, but it it's hard to tell if it's actually quake activity, or just heavy trucks and machinery on the dock or driving by.

Anyone make it to the forum Yesterday?

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Anyone make it to the forum Yesterday?
    Didn't make it but this blog says about 500-600 people were there:

Brockovich, whose life was made into a 2000 Hollywood film starring Julia Roberts for her work in protecting a water supply in California in the early 1990s, was adamant that “politics should not come into play” when it comes to the impact of hydraulic fracturing on the environment. It’s a non-partisan issue or at least it should be, she said. She referred to Oklahoma as the “earthquake capital of the world,” and admitted she has a difficult time even believing it.

She also argued that the oil and gas industry and their supporters have tried to make people feel like they’re “crazy” when they report felt earthquakes or other natural and real environmental issues, such as polluted water. That’s why, she argued, it’s important to believe in your senses and intellectual capabilities about the natural environment and treat with skepticism people simply motivated by money when it comes to clean water and air.

The environmentalist also said the Oklahoma earthquake crisis had created even more anxiety in Oklahoma, which, as we all know, already deals with deadly tornadoes on a regular basis, and she was especially concerned about the psychological impact of it on children. She was at a lunch earlier in the day, she said, when someone brought up the question of “what if you’re in a tornado shelter and an earthquake happens?” It might be more funny if it wasn’t now a very real possibility.

Edmond Earthquake Forum, Brockovich Draw Hundreds; Morrissette To Run For Corporation Commission | blueoklahoma.org

""She was at a lunch earlier in the day, she said, when someone brought up the question of “what if you’re in a tornado shelter and an earthquake happens?” It might be more funny if it wasn’t now a very real possibility"".

We actually have had tornados and earthquakes on the same day... Back in Dec 2014 If I remember correctly, so the idea is not out of the question.

Somehow didn't feel the 4.0 in Langston this morning, though it did wake my friend up in Stillwater. Anyone feel it? That's relatively close for a 4.0 which have been primarily much further NW.

Edit: Downgraded to 3.6.

I've heard lots of people describe these earthquakes as if something exploded. I've felt dozens of these over the past few years and none "to me" felt like explosions, UNTIL TODAYS. I live about half way between Langston and downtown Guthrie and this mornings sounded like 4 explosions, all within about 5 or 6 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post
    Somehow didn't feel the 4.0 in Langston this morning, though it did wake my friend up in Stillwater. Anyone feel it? That's relatively close for a 4.0 which have been primarily much further NW.

Edit: Downgraded to 3.6.

To me they have sound more like thunder, sometimes like nearby thunder and loud, and other times like distant thunder. But unlike real thunder, it has more of an explosive characteristic in the sound.

I bet most people as I did slept through the earthquake by Langston and helps explain why not more is being done about the earthquakes. In my opinion, all injection wells in earthquake prone counties, which is around 16 of them, should be shut down for 6 months to a year to see if that works to settle down the earthquakes. While oil prices are so low, why continue to wait around to see if the earthquakes step up their game by collapsing buildings and killing people? But for now, the oil companies might as well be pleased that most of the earthquakes have been happening during non working hours at the State Capitol.

22. Default Re: 2016 Earthquake Discussion

I haven't heard one. I really never thought about them making a sound. They've all been just a creak of the house like a big gust of wind. That was until the one a couple weeks ago the shook the house for about 20 seconds. Still no sound though.

Some time around the 2011 "big one", when we lived out by Arcadia, my wife and I were out talking across the fence with our neighbor when a decent sized roller came through. It made a thunderous sound that increased quickly to a boom as the ground jumped and shook,and then fading thunder as it passed. It was like a huge ripple that quickly came from east to west and passed underneath us.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerSoftail View Post
    I haven't heard one. I really never thought about them making a sound. They've all been just a creak of the house like a big gust of wind. That was until the one a couple weeks ago the shook the house for about 20 seconds. Still no sound though.
    I've heard of bunch of earthquakes and many of them quite startled me. On very rare occasion they come with a sound like a sudden gust of wind. The more distant ones, like the Fairview 5.1, don't come with a loud sound to me.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerSoftail View Post
    Same. I've felt a couple now and have never heard any of them make any noise.

Thread Information