Widgets Magazine

Thread: Glass Bottle Milk?

Default Glass Bottle Milk?

When visiting my family in Colorado for the holidays, I got really spoiled to the milk that they purchased from Longmont Dairy Farm - fresh milk, delivered right to their house, in reusable glass bottles. The stuff is really quite delicious, and the glass bottle seems to help keep the milk colder. Are there any dairies in the greater Oklahoma City area that offer fresh milk in glass bottles direct to consumers via delivery, or stores that sell milk like this? Braums milk is quite good, and what I buy currently, but they package their milk in plastic jugs.

Default Re: Glass Bottle Milk?

Uptown Grocery has it, but they don't deliver. It agree with you, it is really nice.

You pay a little more the first time you buy it at Uptown, I believe it's like $2-3 for the bottle, then once you take the bottle back, you just pay for the milk.

When I was a kid, almost everyone had an insulated milk box on their front porch and the milk man (Meadow Gold?) would come on a specific schedule and drop off fresh bottles and pick up the empties.

Looked like this:

Plupan,

Thanks for the tip about Uptown Grocery! Sadly, that's on the complete opposite side of town for me, but I may have to take a special trip and grab a bottle. Do you by any chance know what dairy it comes from?

Pete,

That's pretty cool. It's more or less the same situation in my parents' neighborhood today. The only exception is the coolers are now plastic Igloo coolers that look like this:

Stewart Dairy Farm, Blanchard, OK 73010 I've been buying raw milk from this farm for quite some time, every time I'm out that way I'll snatch some up. I like living on the edge , it's absolutely the best milk you'll ever have.

for southside options, you might try natural grocers at sw 89th & penn... i'm not 100% positive but i think i saw some milk in glass containers there. i don't remember seeing any at green acres at 74th & penn, but that would be a good place to check, too. -M

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    for southside options, you might try natural grocers at sw 89th & penn... i'm not 100% positive but i think i saw some milk in glass containers there. i don't remember seeing any at green acres at 74th & penn, but that would be a good place to check, too. -M
    Ya they have it, so does green acres at 240. & Penn , both are organic

Funny this thread was started - I buy A2 milk from certified A2 cows. I get it at Fresh Market in cartons and transfer it to my own glass bottles. At almost $10/gallon it isn't cost effective but it is almost like drinking cream. Hands down the best milk I have ever had.

Promised Land milk (from Texas) is available at Homeland, at least the store on Danforth & Bryant in Edmond, and at least used to be in glass bottles. I used to buy their milk quite often when we lived in Houston. I don't know if it's still in glass or if they have switched to plastic. It still looks like glass, but to be honest, I haven't reached in the cooler and actually touched it to see if it's plastic or glass.

Crest carries some brand that's in glass bottles also....

Quote Originally Posted by Debzkidz View Post
    Promised Land milk (from Texas) is available at Homeland, at least the store on Danforth & Bryant in Edmond, and at least used to be in glass bottles. I used to buy their milk quite often when we lived in Houston. I don't know if it's still in glass or if they have switched to plastic. It still looks like glass, but to be honest, I haven't reached in the cooler and actually touched it to see if it's plastic or glass.
    Promised Land milk is also available at the Homeland where I shop at Britton and May.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! I will have to look around and try a few of these places. Promised Land milk is supposedly pretty darn good, and I do want to give it a try, but they've switched to plastic bottles unfortunately. I don't remember seeing glass at the Crest Fresh Market at SW 104th and May last time I was there, but I'll certainly look closer next time! I'll also try Natural Grocers and Green Acres and see what they carry.

Does Stewart Dairy Farm offer homogenized milk, or is it raw milk only? I assume no delivery. I'd love it if we had a dairy farm around here willing to deliver!

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
    Stewart Dairy Farm, Blanchard, OK 73010 I've been buying raw milk from this farm for quite some time, every time I'm out that way I'll snatch some up. I like living on the edge , it's absolutely the best milk you'll ever have.
    Is it true that raw milk is OK for people who are lactose intolerant? I read somewhere that pasteurization kills off certain enzymes that actually make the milk easier to digest.

I remember calling a few farms in the area looking for raw milk, and most seemed to answer "NO" in such a way that it seemed like they were trying to avoid getting a visit from the FDA (or USDA?).

Raw milk is banned federally. However, the FDA has no jurisdiction over raw milk if it is produced and sold within the state because there is no interstate commerce. I believe raw is better for those Lacrose intolerant. Overall, it is healther and tastes better.

Thread Information