Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Best Asian food?

Default Re: Best Asian food?

Haha looks like I have you to thank for lodging it in my subconscious, I'm getting hungry just thinking about that place

Resurrecting an old thread.

My wife and I ate at Wa-ha-ha Chinese restaurant on Broadway, in Edmond. We had eaten there once before but don't recall much about that visit and have heard many times that it is good. After eating there last night, I can say it's legit. On par with Szechuan Bistro, Dot Wo and that Fusion place on Hefner & Rockwell. We ordered "Hot & spicy chicken" which was cut up pieces of chicken cooked in some kind of Szechuan pepper corn sauce/marinade. Very tingly. We also had "sweet & sour spareribs", which were fall off the bone delicious. As our veggie, we ordered bok choy with garlic, which was outstanding.

Here is a photo of the menu from Yelp, showing the two main dishes we ordered. The chicken was a drier dish (not in a bad way, this photo just looks like a saucy dish, and it wasn't) than what appears in this photo but the sparerib photo is right on.

For anyone not familiar with this place, it's in an old Taco Bell building on the West side of Broadway, sort of across from the big OnCue.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	o.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	162.0 KB 
ID:	17219

^

Oh my, that looks and sounds so good.

Quote Originally Posted by corwin1968 View Post

My wife and I ate at Wa-ha-ha Chinese restaurant on Broadway, in Edmond. We had eaten there once before but don't recall much about that visit and have heard many times that it is good. After eating there last night, I can say it's legit. On par with Szechuan Bistro, Dot Wo and that Fusion place on Hefner & Rockwell. We ordered "Hot & spicy chicken" which was cut up pieces of chicken cooked in some kind of Szechuan pepper corn sauce/marinade. Very tingly. We also had "sweet & sour spareribs", which were fall off the bone delicious. As our veggie, we ordered bok choy with garlic, which was outstanding.

Here is a photo of the menu from Yelp, showing the two main dishes we ordered. The chicken was a drier dish (not in a bad way, this photo just looks like a saucy dish, and it wasn't) than what appears in this photo but the sparerib photo is right on.

For anyone not familiar with this place, it's in an old Taco Bell building on the West side of Broadway, sort of across from the big OnCue.

I can vouch for wa ha ha. They have an authentic menu similar to Szechuan bistro, Szechuan story, and Chuanyu (the place on Hefner and rockwell). More of a homey feel.

Dang, Mao has been dead for decades. Must be pickled.

We were coming out of Costcos today and there was a very strong smell of those green waffles they make on the weekends, in the foyer of Super Cao Nguyen, so of course we immediately started craving Chinese food and headed back to Wa-Ha-Ha for a second visit. We considered Szechuan Bistro, since it was so close, but we've been there so many times and Wa-Ha-Ha is new to us.

Well, the food was just as excellent as the last visit. This time, we got the two entrees pictured, which looked nothing like these photos but were delicious, especially the curry chicken dish. Just enough kick to make my head sweat but not too spicy so as to be unpleasant. We also got bok choy sauteed in garlic again.

I ordered Kung Pao chicken to go and I must say, I did not enjoy it. At all. I've found it's very common for the restaurants that do mind blowing authentic Asian food, to not make good "Americanized" Chinese dishes. I'm sure that because the "Americanized" versions I'm used to bear little resemblance to their authentic counterparts, mostly being more fried and more sweet.

Anyway, I had been hoping to see in this thread where someone had visited Wa-ha-ha for the first time and enjoyed it, so here's some more encouragement. The sign on the door said they will be CLOSED on Christmas Day, so no "A Christmas Story" ideas apply.

Name:	Wa-ha-ha 12-21.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	107.3 KB 
ID:	17256

We were coming out of Costcos today and there was a very strong smell of those green waffles they make on the weekends, in the foyer of Super Cao Nguyen, so of course we immediately started craving Chinese food and headed back to Wa-Ha-Ha for a second visit. We considered Szechuan Bistro, since it was so close, but we've been there so many times and Wa-Ha-Ha is new to us.

Well, the food was just as excellent as the last visit. This time, we got the two entrees pictured, which looked nothing like these photos but were delicious, especially the curry chicken dish. Just enough kick to make my head sweat but not too spicy so as to be unpleasant. We also got bok choy sauteed in garlic again.

I ordered Kung Pao chicken to go and I must say, I did not enjoy it. At all. I've found it's very common for the restaurants that do mind blowing authentic Asian food, to not make good "Americanized" Chinese dishes. I'm sure that because the "Americanized" versions I'm used to bear little resemblance to their authentic counterparts, mostly being more fried and more sweet.

Anyway, I had been hoping to see in this thread where someone had visited Wa-ha-ha for the first time and enjoyed it, so here's some more encouragement. The sign on the door said they will be CLOSED on Christmas Day, so no "A Christmas Story" ideas apply.

Name:	Wa-ha-ha 12-21.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	107.3 KB 
ID:	17256
    It maybe on the way in the grand scheme of things, but initial thought is that it's crazy to entertain going from cao nguyen to wah-ha-ha or consider szechuan bistro when szechuan story is down the road from cao nguyen.

I love Wa Ha Ha. I lived and worked in China for two years and can personally vouch that some of their menu items are very similar to the mainland fare I came to love. The sauteed green beans and their eggplant dish are standouts.

Thread Information