Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best Asian food?

1. Default Re: Best Asian food?

Anybody know of a place with good Japanese curry? Tokyo's the only place I've had it so far.
    There's a chain in Japan (with a few in Hawaii and California) called CoCo's Ichibanya that's delicious, I've been craving Japanese curry ever since.

Default Re: Best Asian food?

There is a new place at NW 150th & Penn called Teriyaki Madness; it's a national chain with a local franchisee.

Tried it over the weekend and ordered the spicy chicken bowl with white rice and sauteed veggies.

It's a small place next to the crazy busy Neighborhood Jam and the service was very friendly and helpful.

As I was ordering (around 11:30 AM; they open at 11) I noticed prep work behind the counter where they had a huge mound of cooked and chopped chicken. So clearly, they don't cook every chicken dish when you order it... I suspect they just heat it up.

The bowl was $8.50 before tax but it was huge, even though the other option was a 'plate' which I assume is bigger still. No spiciness that I could discern but they did have Sriracha and teriyaki sauce on the table.

It was good but the chicken was a bit over-cooked and not very fresh, likely due to the re-heating I mentioned.

I'll probably give it another try because I love teriyaki. However, they do that thing where they add a tip line when it's all counter service, something I detest as it puts you in this weird situation to add (or not add) tip as the person stands over you.

Has anyone tried the shabu shabu place in Edmond? It’s been on my radar but I hate driving to Canada for anything less than spectacular. I would love to see a Japanese place specializing in varieties of hot pots and yaniku, which is the Japanese version of Korean BBQ.

There’s a Chinese place called “party base”that I drive by daily and wondered about. Finally did the research and they specialize in family style seafood dishes, sizzle platters, and most excitedly, they feature some sort of Chinese yakitori BBQ skewers. I’m currently organizing a posse so we can throw down on everything.

4. Default Re: Best Asian food?

Quote Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
    Has anyone tried the shabu shabu place in Edmond?
    http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.ph...bu#post1010238

I tried Tsubaki Szechuan in the Super Cao Nguyen center for the first time last week (opened in November I believe) and really liked it. There were a ton of things on the menu so I want to go back and try more, but I had the pork in garlic sauce and split the dumplings in chili oil and the soup dumplings (highlight of the meal). Szechuan peppers have a really nice kick to them too.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/tsubaki-szechuan-oklahoma-city

6. Default Re: Best Asian food?

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    I tried Tsubaki Szechuan in the Super Cao Nguyen center for the first time last weeky[/url]
    Drove by last week and it didn't look open yet. Glad to hear it is because I've been wanting to try it since I heard about it.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    Drove by last week and it didn't look open yet. Glad to hear it is because I've been wanting to try it since I heard about it.
    They're not open on Wednesdays and they close from 3:00 - 5:00, but definitely worth checking out.

8. Default Re: Best Asian food?

They're not open on Wednesdays and they close from 3:00 - 5:00, but definitely worth checking out.
    Ahhhh... That would explain why it looked close. Ate at Lido last Wednesday and drove by to check out progress on Tsubaki on the way back.

Time to see if I can find a menu for them now.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    There is a new place at NW 150th & Penn called Teriyaki Madness; it's a national chain with a local franchisee.

Tried it over the weekend and ordered the spicy chicken bowl with white rice and sauteed veggies.

It's a small place next to the crazy busy Neighborhood Jam and the service was very friendly and helpful.

As I was ordering (around 11:30 AM; they open at 11) I noticed prep work behind the counter where they had a huge mound of cooked and chopped chicken. So clearly, they don't cook every chicken dish when you order it... I suspect they just heat it up.

The bowl was $8.50 before tax but it was huge, even though the other option was a 'plate' which I assume is bigger still. No spiciness that I could discern but they did have Sriracha and teriyaki sauce on the table.

It was good but the chicken was a bit over-cooked and not very fresh, likely due to the re-heating I mentioned.

I'll probably give it another try because I love teriyaki. However, they do that thing where they add a tip line when it's all counter service, something I detest as it puts you in this weird situation to add (or not add) tip as the person stands over you.
    Thanks for the tip! I've eaten at this place out west and thought it was alright.

As for the tip line on the receipt - agree. I have no guilt about striking it out and boldly writing the total on the final line. Guilt tripping for tips is unethical.

I tried Tsubaki Szechuan in the Super Cao Nguyen center for the first time last week (opened in November I believe) and really liked it. There were a ton of things on the menu so I want to go back and try more, but I had the pork in garlic sauce and split the dumplings in chili oil and the soup dumplings (highlight of the meal). Szechuan peppers have a really nice kick to them too.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/tsubaki-szechuan-oklahoma-city
    We ate there recently. Overall good experience, huge menu, good service, friendly staff. Only complaint is the food was OILY. I mean OILY. Like wow, really oily. Tasty though, and the spicy dishes were indeed spicy which is always a plus. Maybe my palate has changed, but that would be my one hesitation in going back.

Quote Originally Posted by no1cub17 View Post
    We ate there recently. Overall good experience, huge menu, good service, friendly staff. Only complaint is the food was OILY. I mean OILY. Like wow, really oily. Tasty though, and the spicy dishes were indeed spicy which is always a plus. Maybe my palate has changed, but that would be my one hesitation in going back.
    I haven't gone yet but if the name of the place is correct, then oily would be correct for a sichuan place. With a lot of the existing Chinese places in OKC being cantonese style, real sichuan is going to be quite different.

12. Default Re: Best Asian food?

Finally tried it at lunch today and while I'm no aficionado on Sichuan cuisine I know what I like and I liked the braised beef in chili oil and pork dumplings in chili oil I had.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1893[1].JPG 
Views:	106 
Size:	2.73 MB 
ID:	14397

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1892[1].JPG 
Views:	99 
Size:	2.08 MB 
ID:	14396

And yes both were oily but I wouldn't expect it not to be since both had chili oil in the name.

Ooooh that looks good.

Looks great. Has anyone tried Tsubaki Sushi on MacArthur? This came up when I was looking up Tsubaki Szechuan before we went, and it had great reviews as well.

15. Default Re: Best Asian food?

Looks great. Has anyone tried Tsubaki Sushi on MacArthur? This came up when I was looking up Tsubaki Szechuan before we went, and it had great reviews as well.
    May be the same people because the wrapper on the chopsticks had the address and info for Tsubaki Sushi on it.

16. Default Re: Best Asian food?

Ooooh that looks good.
    I would definitely eat it again and it was a nice level of spiciness. Enough to make the lips tingle and the nose run but not blow out the palate.

I haven't been but have heard nothing but very good things, even from people who live in the core and drive their tails out there.

I haven't been but have heard nothing but very good things, even from people who live in the core and drive their tails out there.
    That's what I keep hearing, need to try soon.

I enjoy it. For whatever reason they rank being #18 on some ranking.

Ate at Tsubaki Szechuan this weekend and was blown away. My large group ordered 7 or 8 different things to share and ALL were very good. Deserves it's own thread!

Those coriander lamb chops! It’s definitely a place to eat with lots of friends so you can sample.

Feast/Fuze? Taste of China?

Seriously though....any decent asian or other ethnic buffets in town? My crew likes those at lunch. The only decent ones I have found is Golden Palace on 15th, Taj (indian) and Thai House on NW 23rd The asian buffett at 23/classen is ok but the food is not kept hot enough on the buffet

23. Default Re: Best Asian food?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Feast/Fuze? Taste of China?

Seriously though....any decent asian or other ethnic buffets in town? My crew likes those at lunch. The only decent ones I have found is Golden Palace on 15th, Taj (indian) and Thai House on NW 23rd The asian buffett at 23/classen is ok but the food is not kept hot enough on the buffet
    About the only buffet I still go to, and it's been over a year since I was here, is Berta's on 29th Street, and now a second location on Penn where Nino's #2 was back in the day.

It's authentic Mexican. not Okie-Mex, but that would fall in your ethnic qualification..... Helps to be adventurous there because I'm not always sure what some of the things on the buffet are but I've never had anything bad there.

Has anyone mentioned Taste of Korea in film row? I found that place late November and have already been three times (would have been four but my friend refused to go anywhere that didn't serve alcohol). Service is slow, there is a burned down trailer house literally falling into the parking lot, but good lord is it some good Korean food.
    Highly HIGHLY recommend the LA Galbi, honestly the best short ribs I've ever had; I cook a lot of bulgogi and dakgalbi at home but I have nothing on these guys.

25. Default Re: Best Asian food?

Quote Originally Posted by BridgeBurner View Post
    Has anyone mentioned Taste of Korea in film row? I found that place late November and have already been three times (would have been four but my friend refused to go anywhere that didn't serve alcohol). Service is slow, there is a burned down trailer house literally falling into the parking lot, but good lord is it some good Korean food.
    Highly HIGHLY recommend the LA Galbi, honestly the best short ribs I've ever had; I cook a lot of bulgogi and dakgalbi at home but I have nothing on these guys.
    http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=43210

Thread Information