Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best Asian food?

Default Re: Best Asian food?

Canton Restaurant on NW 29th & Mac. Hands down the best egg rolls in town, and the Sweet and sour chicken is incredible. It's old school and o so good....

Quote Originally Posted by tfvc.org View Post
    I like Thai Delight but they are in Norman.
    Also in edmond. GOod to know I haven't missed anything. Agree with the majority of choices here.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I tried Go-Go Sushi as it's right around the corner and the roll I had was good but I really need to try their teriyaki and other dishes.
    She has done really well selling sushi..... She just paid cash for her new house......Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	138 
Size:	125.6 KB 
ID:	11950

4. Default Re: Best Asian food?

Quote Originally Posted by Jheat View Post
    ...and Dot Wo Garden which are both on May. I know Dot Wo Garden has a separate menu if you ask them that has more authentic dishes.
    I have only been to Do Wo Garden once and I enjoyed it... I had the Mu Shu Pork and the server brought it out to my table and put it all together right in front of me with two teaspoons... I was pretty impressed with his skill to fill and roll the pancakes without ever touching them with his hands and it earned him a significant tip.

Main reason I had never stopped there was because of it being in an old Golden Corral I assumed it would be a buffet... Was very happy when I walked in and saw it was a sit down restaurant.

It's not in the core but Himalaya's in Moore is the best Indian food here in my opinion. But I just recently discovered Sheesh Mahal on 50th-ish and May, which to my knowledge is the only true made to order Indian/Pakistani restaurant in the City, and what I tried there was excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_M View Post
    It's not in the core but Himalaya's in Moore is the best Indian food here in my opinion. But I just recently discovered Sheesh Mahal on 50th-ish and May, which to my knowledge is the only true made to order Indian/Pakistani restaurant in the City, and what I tried there was excellent.
    Thanks for the rec for Sheesh Mahal. Been by it several times and the reviews on Yelp are very good; tops in OKC for Indian food.

I'll put this at the top of my list.

I've been wanting to try Sheesh Mahal. I pass it all of the time but always forget.

8. Default Re: Best Asian food?

I've only been to Sheesh Mahal once but I'll also give it the thumbs up... What I had was definitely tasty.

I will probably get thrashed for this but for decent lunch buffet, we hit Thai House 2 at 23/Walker. Also like Taj for lunch buffet. Was in Thai House 2 this week and they have opened up the windows so it isn't dark and started repainting inside. Both places have clean, diversified buffets.

I like Thai Kitchen downtown also but they have a very small buffet and it gets hit hard at lunch so they have a hard time keeping food on the buffet line. We try it about every six months and it is the same every time.

Looks like Tokyo on 23rd gets pretty good reviews for Japanese.

Anybody have thoughts?

Looks like Tokyo on 23rd gets pretty good reviews for Japanese.

Anybody have thoughts?
    On 23rd or Western?

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    On 23rd or Western?
    Sorry, Western.

Sorry, Western.
    When I go to Japanese restaurants I am going for sushi so I can't speak to any of their entrees, but the quality of their fish is the best that I've had in OKC.

14. Default Re: Best Asian food?

Sorry, Western.
    Yeah, most people I know who have eaten sushi in Japan seem to strongly prefer Tokyo. I haven't, so I enjoy sushi from a few different locations perfectly fine. But I agree that Tokyo is excellent sushi. My only complaint is that at times the place does have a fishy smell, which is not really desirable in a place serving raw seafood, if you ask me.

15. Default Re: Best Asian food?

One other place I will recommend will probably not resonate with or even be recognized by most people here, But I really like Mandarin in Del City. I don't think there is anything very authentic about the food, but it always TASTES fantastic. Best chicken fried rice in the metro, IMO. The place is an OLD SCHOOL Chinese restaurant, almost in a cartoonish, Charlie Chan sort of way. But the food is very fresh and tasty. I also recommend the Hawaiian Chicken, which is super-lightly battered, almost tempura-style, They batter and fry the entire breast and then when done they cut it into narrow strips, so that the delectable, light crust is falling off of the chicken while you eat it. It's absolutely fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Yeah, most people I know who have eaten sushi in Japan seem to strongly prefer Tokyo. I haven't, so I enjoy sushi from a few different locations perfectly fine. But I agree that Tokyo is excellent sushi. My only complaint is that at times the place does have a fishy smell, which is not really desirable in a place serving raw seafood, if you ask me.
    Having been to Japan (but by no means a sushi connoisseur, since I don't love raw fish lol) I love Tokyo. Been there twice this month. Their sushi is fantastic -- def our favorite place in the city -- and they definitely seem to be the most authentic Japanese restaurant I've had around here. Always get some sake while there. I finally tried some of their non-sushi dishes and got a Tokyo Box with chicken teriyaki. Was $18 but came with a ton of food and was delicious. They also have donburi, yakisoba, etc. which is not something I often see offered at other places.

Really appreciate all the recs and discussion.

I've already got a long list of places to try.

18. Default Re: Best Asian food?

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    One other place I will recommend will probably not resonate with or even be recognized by most people here, But I really like Mandarin in Del City.
    HAHA... Yeah I pretty much agree with your assessment on Mandarin.

While I don't think it is as good as it once was... When I was a teen back in the 80's. We would save up just to make a special trip into Del City to order the garlic fried chicken at Mandarin. It was always a special occasion for me and my friends that would do it.

My wife and I have spent a lot of time in the Asian District but we seem to frequent the same restaurants over and over!

Golden Phoenix has the best authentic Chinese food, the best BBQ Pork and the biggest menu. The service generally isn't the best.

Taj is my go-to place for Indian food. My wife prefers Goppuram (NW 23rd & Meridian).

Pho Lien Hoa has the best Pho in town. There is a shop next door that makes their own tofu. Ask for mushroom tofu fried. Cash only.

Fungs is fantastic but we don't go there very often anymore since we prefer Golden Phoenix.

Lee's has very good appetizers in the hot food case. Their crab rangoon, pork fried spring rolls and chicken wings are awesome!

Schezuan Bistro is close to us and it's fantastic food. Jumbo shrimp with X.O. Sauce is my favorite dish but also fish in sweet and tangy sauce. We've never been disappointed in the food here.

House of Hunan at NW 178th & Santa Fe is also a favorite. It's a traditional sit-down Chinese restaurant, more on the Americanized side of things but all of their dishes are a bit different than most Chinese restaurants.

The Sushi Bar at NW 178th & Western is our favorite Sushi place. The Naughty Girl roll is my favorite but we primarily go there at lunch time for the bento boxes. Chicken Katsu is our favorite.

I don't eat a lot of Thai food but my wife prefers Thai House (two locations, both on NW 23rd). I like Panang 2 (on May near Quail Springs) and Lemongrass at NW 178th & Santa Fe. Lemongrass' "Lemongrass fried rice" is too die for!!!!

We prefer Grand House for dim sum although the quality has gotten more inconsistent.

On a totally different note, any bakery items from La Baguette will be outstanding. We frequent the restaurant on North May (near Grand) but Grand House sells some of their goods near the checkout counter (which is why I thought of it).

Tamashii Ramen - soooooo good, I don't think they do chicken teriyaki, though.

Saii - crazy sushi rolls, not too authentic, I don't think, but it's the one we go to (at least until we try Tokyo House in the next couple of weeks).

^

Wow, thanks for that excellent write-up.

I am loading all these places into a list on my phone so when I am near any of them I can remember the places to seek out.

Oh! I forgot about Szechuan bistro on west memorial! The only other "authentic" Chinese place in town. I like golden Phoenix but it's a Vietnamese joint in my book. Like lido in its glory days. Szechuan reminds me of San Francisco where there's the Americanized menu, which is excellent. And the mystic Chinese menu, which isn't translated and if you try to order from it the server will say "no, you won't like it." Until you insist and then unknowingly order a bowl of pig nipple soup, which actually happened to me in San Fran.

Tamashii ramen is good, don't skip over the appetizers even though a bowl of noodles is a gut-buster. Still do yourself a favor and do shoguns. Take a group and be sure to drink lots of beer and sake.

In the raw, while not super traditional, has awesome sushi and entree's. Jeff Chanchulenne recently tweaked their menu and the Mains have really turned that place around the last few years.

^

Thanks for the remind about In the Raw... I was actually invited to a tasting there a couple of weeks ago and couldn't attend.

I've heard great things about their new menu.

THere's a place in Edmond that's smaller but also has an americanized chinese menu and an authentic chinese menu. I believe it's called wa-ha-ha

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    THere's a place in Edmond that's smaller but also has an americanized chinese menu and an authentic chinese menu. I believe it's called wa-ha-ha
    WA-HA-HA is just South of 2nd street on Memorial in Edmond. My wife has heard it's good but we've never tried it. It's located in an 80's style Taco Bell building. We'll have to try it someday.

Szechuan Bistro has a dish we order as an appetizer but we can't find the name of it. It's like the third or fourth item on the specialty menu at the back and it's somethink like wonton in spicy sauce. An order is about $4-5 and it's basically about ten small, steamed pork wontons in a slightly spicy chili sauce with sesame seeds sprinkled on top. If you can find it on the menu, we highly recommend it!

Thread Information