Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Default Re: OKC Cop Gets 263 Years For Sex Crimes

Having spent close to two decades working in an appellate defense environment, it may be a hard question to entertain, but it's an appropriate question to entertain in many, many cases.

The notion that a conviction equates to that's it, end of story, nothing else to look at here, is at times very wrong.

Whether that is accurate for this particular defendant, I do not have clue one. But if there is a sound reason to ask 'what if' as to any defendant, then yes, the question not only should be asked, it must be asked.

We've had numerous people freed from DOC in our state, as have other states, including from the population of prisoners who were sentenced to death. Simple fact is, sometimes the path to judgment is a fast moving train and people get run over.

It's not a bad thing if the appellate process corrects an injustice if one has occurred in a case.
    Last edited by kevinpate; 11-22-2016 at 06:10 PM. Reason: wording

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    In my opinion, if the women were really sexually assaulted, they should be mighty damned mad and speaking out about it.
    Certainly. And if someone was convicted of murdering my wife, and they became the next subject of "the making of a murderer" I'd be understandably upset as well. But that doesn't negate Netflix's right to air and promote the series.

wow, lots of comfy white guys making calls about how a minority low income female would react to having their tragic story questioned. Doesn't Bates have a voyeur opportunity he's missing out on. Surely there's a hummer happening somewhere in the back of a van he could film. Know someone who worked with Holtzclaw. Desrirbed him as angry and wrapped incredibly tight. Said he was scary and glad he didn't have to patrol with him anymore. But hey we have a sexual predator in the Whitehouse now so maybe a new normal concerning treatment of women.

And *ignore*. I'll talk with the grown ups.

5. Default Re: OKC Cop Gets 263 Years For Sex Crimes

How convenient.... first unwarranted personal attacks on me and then, of course, you have "a friend" (first indication you're lying) "who worked with Holtzclaw..."

Holtzclaw patrolled alone most of his career. I have sitting in my office an entire binder of reports of interviews investigators had with officers who had occasion to work with or even just assist Holtzclaw while on patrol. Not a single one - not one - said a single bad word about him. They couldn't even find a single officer to testify to support the myth that Holtzclaw was a loner - as Det. Davis falsely tried to forward and then couldn't back up.

Not once does an officer in any report describe Holtzclaw as 'angry', 'wrapped incredibly tight', or was 'scary.' Not once in his confidential personnel file is there even the hint to what you falsely try to forward as fact. To the contrary, one of the reasons he was cleared of so many use of force investigations was because of his mild temperament, yet ability to handle himself.

I gotta hand it to you though.... you managed to fit in personal insults, race and politics in just a few sentences. You are what "Make This Forum Great Again."

6. Default Re: OKC Cop Gets 263 Years For Sex Crimes

Was a short-lived billboard - but I honestly think that was the plan.... I wrote about it here...

http://www.holtzclawtrial.com/blog/2...wn-tyler-media

and here... http://www.holtzclawtrial.com/blog/2016/crtvbillboards

Guilty or not, Holtzclaw is entitled to the same rights as these alleged victims, is he not.

In the back of my mind, I can't help but think that Malkin is just trying to piggy back off the success of MAM. May be one of those ends justify the means kind of things.

That being said, the criminal justice system will be an imperfect system for ALL TIME as it is made up of human beings who make mistakes, have biases, vary intellectually, etc, etc, etc. The verdict is not the end for all of these people.

8. Default Re: OKC Cop Gets 263 Years For Sex Crimes

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Guilty or not, Holtzclaw is entitled to the same rights as these alleged victims, is he not.

In the back of my mind, I can't help but think that Malkin is just trying to piggy back off the success of MAM. May be one of those ends justify the means kind of things.

That being said, the criminal justice system will be an imperfect system for ALL TIME as it is made up of human beings who make mistakes, have biases, vary intellectually, etc, etc, etc. The verdict is not the end for all of these people.

Before they made this two-part series on Holtzclaw I honestly had no idea who Malkin was. I'm not part of the Fox news talking heads crowd. But, I can say this... I've spent nearly 20-years being around all sorts of media types with all sorts of agendas and I was very impressed with how she went about this show. Now that may change when I see the final product, but, for now I hold her in pretty high regard professionally.

I'm not certain how she got turned on to the Holtzclaw story, but she contacted me one day and asked for a telephone call. She asked some pretty direct questions. At the end of the call she said she wanted to fly into town, without a crew, and spend the day with me and see if i could convince her of Holtzclaw's innocence - or, at the very least some very real doubt as to his guilt.

She came into town and we spent the better part of the afternoon sitting on my back porch while she grilled me with questions to see how I'd answer them. I suspect she didn't want to hang the reputation of her new show sticking her neck out casting doubt on someone that was obviously guilty. We then visited each of the alleged crime scenes.

At the end she said I had made some powerful arguments and that she was interested in doing a show about the case. The only condition she put on me was 100% transparency. She was to have access to 100% of the discovery materials and I could not proclaim anything off limits or "let's not talk about that." Something OCPD would not do.

Their crew itself was pretty large and very professional. Even more so than 20/20's crew. In fact the only crew I've worked with that was larger was one with a Discovery Channel show I worked on.

I'm guessing total she spent a solid week or two in OKC and Enid.

While the media is playing up that she is taking a 'Holtzclaw is innocent stance' - I have no idea if that is true. I do know she interviewed lots of people on the other side.

I'm anxious to see the final product and I'm even more anxious to read the appeal and the amicus brief.

Malkin the racist harpie too extreme even for her Fox coworkers one who described her as vile and hateful. The dingbat accused Rachael Ray of wearing a Palestinian jihad scarf in that Dunkin Donuts commercial and called for a boycott. No person of respect would touch this stinking turd. Talked to my buddie to make sure I'm not lying. He did indeed work the same hood as Holtzclaw and said he gave him the creeps ads was glad to be reassigned. Related a story that took on tragic new meaning with hindsight- responding to a contact in progress to see if help needed he encounters Holtzclaw with a visibly shaken female in the squad car. He told him everything was ok and Ted went on his way.

10. Default Re: OKC Cop Gets 263 Years For Sex Crimes

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Malkin the racist harpie too extreme even for her Fox coworkers one who described her as vile and hateful. The dingbat accused Rachael Ray of wearing a Palestinian jihad scarf in that Dunkin Donuts commercial and called for a boycott. No person of respect would touch this stinking turd. Talked to my buddie to make sure I'm not lying. He did indeed work the same hood as Holtzclaw and said he gave him the creeps ads was glad to be reassigned. Related a story that took on tragic new meaning with hindsight- responding to a contact in progress to see if help needed he encounters Holtzclaw with a visibly shaken female in the squad car. He told him everything was ok and Ted went on his way.
    Then 'your friend' is the turd because he certainly NEVER shared any of his negative thoughts with anyone investigating the case. And, nothing even close to your scenario appears in any reports. Of course, 'your friend' could rank up there with the OCPD detective that got called into the judge's chambers because he was stupid enough to spout off on social media about Holtzclaw and the investigation and then had to admit to the judge he actually just made it all up and had no idea what the truth was. And this was from a seasoned sex crimes detective. So, yeah, 'your anonymous friend' with nothing to back it up ranks real high in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    Then 'your friend' is the turd because he certainly NEVER shared any of his negative thoughts with anyone investigating the case. And, nothing even close to your scenario appears in any reports. Of course, 'your friend' could rank up there with the OCPD detective that got called into the judge's chambers because he was stupid enough to spout off on social media about Holtzclaw and the investigation and then had to admit to the judge he actually just made it all up and had no idea what the truth was. And this was from a seasoned sex crimes detective. So, yeah, 'your anonymous friend' with nothing to back it up ranks real high in my opinion.
    Ain't anonymity great.

12. Default Re: OKC Cop Gets 263 Years For Sex Crimes

Ain't anonymity great.
    +1

It's why I refuse to be anonymous. While it certainly opens me up to personal attacks, identifying myself up front keeps me in check (on my scale) and gives some added credability on some topics while also exposing my bias.

13. Default Re: OKC Cop Gets 263 Years For Sex Crimes

Just an FYI - The Discovery Network (Discovery Channel) has licensed the ABC 20/20 rebroadcast rights of their Daniel Holtzclaw episode "What the Dash Cam Never Saw" for the next three years.

It was a pretty fair take on the story, though, I'd argue some critical information was left out that cast even more doubt on Holtzclaw's guilt.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    Just an FYI - The Discovery Network (Discovery Channel) has licensed the ABC 20/20 rebroadcast rights of their Daniel Holtzclaw episode "What the Dash Cam Never Saw" for the next three years.

It was a pretty fair take on the story, though, I'd argue some critical information was left out that cast even more doubt on Holtzclaw's guilt.
    Better they leave some out than make it up.

15. Default Re: OKC Cop Gets 263 Years For Sex Crimes

Better they leave some out than make it up.
    I didn't have any fear of 20/20 making anything up - Like TV ONE's show 'Justice By Any Means' did. That entire show was almost 100% fiction and OCPD and the accuser's lawyers all openly participated in the lies.

I think 20/20 was fearful of too much backlash (SB Nation, comes to mind), so they left many details out to appear more neutral.

16. Default Re: OKC Cop Gets 263 Years For Sex Crimes

Conservative Michelle Malkin's editorial on the Daniel Holtzclaw case...

http://townhall.com/columnists/miche...ocent-n2253490

Malkin will be in Enid and airing the series for a live audience at the Central National Bank Center (the new arena downtown).

Edit: Date and time would probably help too.

December 10 11:00-2:00

Mr Bates was mentioned by her on the radio this morning in particular. She mentioned how helpful and knowledgeable you were.

18. Default Re: OKC Cop Gets 263 Years For Sex Crimes

Malkin will be in Enid and airing the series for a live audience at the Central National Bank Center (the new arena downtown).

Edit: Date and time would probably help too.

December 10 11:00-2:00

Mr Bates was mentioned by her on the radio this morning in particular. She mentioned how helpful and knowledgeable you were.
    Thanks. I was getting ready to post info on the screening - you beat me to it.

As I've said, i don't know much about her or her reputation. I do however respect how diligently she worked on this case and asked me to back up every assertion.

What's amazing is that she was given the EXACT same access to all of the discovery that the Oklahoman's Adam Kemp was -- Yet, Kemp failed to point out a single questionable aspect of the investigation.

I just watched the two-part series and I have to say it was impressive. I had no idea how it would turn out and I had zero control over the tone or narrative.

If you can make it to Enid I would encourage you to do so. Both Malkin and I will be answering questions during the Q&A.

The Texas screening has already sold out.

Both parts of the series are now available with subscription at CRTV.com

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CzAsD4tWgAQgyex.jpg-large.jpeg 
Views:	37 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	13359

Malkin was on KFAQ in Tulsa this morning. Podcasts are available on their websites under the Pat Campbell show.

20. Default Re: OKC Cop Gets 263 Years For Sex Crimes

Michelle Malkin interviews regarding the Holtzclaw case...

KFAQ https://soundcloud.com/user-26966176...alk-radio-1170

Girl Politics Podcast - (starts at the 16:30 mark) https://ricochet.com/podcast/michelle-malkin/

Michelle Malkin Lunch Break Interview - https://soundcloud.com/user-29364780...reak-interview

21. Default Re: OKC Cop Gets 263 Years For Sex Crimes

This is my most recent 'Accuser Profile Graphic.' It's a visual aid to the Holtzclaw case and the accusers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Holtzclaw Accusers Profile Graphic Updated 2016-11-27.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	13360

The red shaded dots make it very difficult to read. Seams blurry and messes with my vision. I wonder if I'm the only one.

23. Default Re: OKC Cop Gets 263 Years For Sex Crimes

Quote Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
    The red shaded dots make it very difficult to read. Seams blurry and messes with my vision. I wonder if I'm the only one.
    Probably the compression that is applied to the image for Internet posting. The original is a large file that prints very nicely.

When I look at it on my Desktop computer and enlarge the browser window I can read it clearly.

It's actually the starting point of the conversation I had with Malkin when she was considering taking this on.

It may or may not appear clearer on this link... http://www.holtzclawtrial.com/accuser-profile-graphic

I used to have a easier to read version, but it didn't have nearly as much info on it.

If you click on the image and then click on it again in the pop up that appears, it should load a much larger and clearer version.

It is more to do with the shading of the red bubbles. It just looks really blurry to me. Sounds like it is just me, though.

Thread Information