Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
  1. Default Re: OKC Cop Gets 263 Years For Sex Crimes

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Trouble is, IMO, those are getting rarer, especially recently. Not sure if they're trying out changes or what. And I'm already missing Monday Morning Tweets.
    Patrick supposedly got a real job at KFOR, and he wrote most of the good posts (Marisa's posts suck, they're just fluff, Louis Fowler's posts are mainly restaurant reviews (but his panhandling piece was good), and the rest of them are just about worthless ("predictions" about 2016, and other stuff that I don't waste my time on)), so that's pretty much why they're not on their game any longer. Monday Morning Tweets was a casualty of his new job, I believe, he posted about it going away and why a while back, but can't remember why since I never read them.

Default Re: OKC Cop Gets 263 Years For Sex Crimes

That explains a lot...

3. Default Re: OKC Cop Gets 263 Years For Sex Crimes

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Mr. Bates - why do you call everybody else Mr. so-and-so (as almost all other news organizations do when reporting a story, or just use the last name) and call the accused/convicted person "Daniel"? Just curious, seems odd...
    Probably would be odd, or even inappropriate, if I was an actual unbiased news reporting agency.

Most actual news outlets wouldn't refer to our local DA as a spineless, hypocritical coward - yet, I do.

So, the 'differences' between my reporting/writing style and say AP style are going to be different.

I try not to pretend I have no bias - but I also try and counter my bias with actual facts i can back up.

No one else has ever asked why I refer to him as 'Daniel' as opposed to 'Mr Holtzclaw.' Probably a combination of my bias, my familiarity with him, and my attempt to humanize someone that has been overwhelmingly depicted as a monster by the actual media.

4. Default Re: OKC Cop Gets 263 Years For Sex Crimes

Trouble is, IMO, those are getting rarer, especially recently. Not sure if they're trying out changes or what. And I'm already missing Monday Morning Tweets.
    I 100% agree. I've been a target of TLO for a long time. I've even mentioned here before I think many of their criticisms of me are pretty hypocritical.

That said, I've read the site for many years and I've laughed at what they write about me far more often than I've been annoyed.

Regardless, I 100% support their right to do it and I even admire the fact Patrick's been able to be successful at it for this long.

However, I've read some really witty pieces on TLO and that used to be sorta the norm and expectation. Over the years TLO has gotten less witty and more - I don't know - angry, lazy, spiteful, bitter, etc.

I still read the occasional article where I think to myself - wish I could express wit on that topic in that same manner.... Its just less often.

5. Default Re: OKC Cop Gets 263 Years For Sex Crimes

Patrick supposedly got a real job at KFOR, and he wrote most of the good posts (Marisa's posts suck, they're just fluff, Louis Fowler's posts are mainly restaurant reviews (but his panhandling piece was good), and the rest of them are just about worthless ("predictions" about 2016, and other stuff that I don't waste my time on)), so that's pretty much why they're not on their game any longer. Monday Morning Tweets was a casualty of his new job, I believe, he posted about it going away and why a while back, but can't remember why since I never read them.
    Where are you getting that Patrick works at KFOR? I remember reading an article some time back where he made that assertion - but it appeared to simply be satirical. Are you hearing this from any other source? One, he's not qualified. Two, he'd have to get up and shower. Three, it would be a huge conflict of interest.

6. Default Re: OKC Cop Gets 263 Years For Sex Crimes

^^^ Hence the "supposedly". Not sure what the real cause of them going downhill is, but he's certainly devoting less time to it, so he may've gotten *some* kind of real job, don't know, don't care, just that the site's not what it used to be ever since he said the KFOR thing...

7. Default Re: OKC Cop Gets 263 Years For Sex Crimes

^^^ Hence the "supposedly". Not sure what the real cause of them going downhill is, but he's certainly devoting less time to it, so he may've gotten *some* kind of real job, don't know, don't care, just that the site's not what it used to be ever since he said the KFOR thing...
    My comment wasn't anything more than a real interest in whether or not there was some other info out there. It wouldn't surprise me if he has had to look for a traditional gig. Its extremely difficult to make a living from blogging. I've been very fortunate and going on 20-years. I'm guessing the other things TLO sponsors actually bring in more $$$ than the website. Its hard to stay fresh and motivated. There are times I don't post for weeks and anyone who follows my video postings know I actually post very few in any given year. Burn out is easy.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    I wrote an article on my website about the case. I tried to stick only to the evidence that was actually introduced in trial and stayed away from theories, motivations, race issues, jury makeup, accuser backgrounds, influences upon the jury, etc. (except where evidentiary in nature).

There're literally boxes and boxes of evidence containing details here and there I could point out. I tried to narrow it down to just 10 compelling issues. There's even an incident I can't into specifics of right now, where a former OKCtalk member forced a special in chambers hearing that delayed the trial for a few hours.

Its a long read, but its here if anyone is interested...

Former OKC police officer Daniel Holtzclaw sentenced to 263 years for sexual assaults; A closer look

I'm hoping to actually post the evidence (police reports, transcripts, audio and video files, photos, etc.) in the near future. First some decisions have to be made by write-up.th actual law degrees and there is some exclusive obligations to a national media outlet to consider. But, I stand 100% behind all of my assertions as actual evidence introduced in open court.

I don't have any expectation that everyone (or even a majority) agrees with me. I just think more information is better than less when coming to conclusions that have captivated and ignited so many.
    Wow, this has really opened my eyes. Thanks for that write-up
    The truth is never embarrassed by honest inquiry.

9. Default Re: OKC Cop Gets 263 Years For Sex Crimes

Just an FYI - I created a new website for the Holtzclaw materials I am posting and will continue to post.

The Investigation and Trial of former OKC police officer Daniel Holtzclaw | The facts the media completely ignored.

The domain is HoltzclawTrial.com. There you can find the only copy of the unredacted interrogation video.

I have a few articles there now (an overview, closer look and a couple of articles attacking DA Prater and OCPD Chief Bill Citty for their hypocrisy).

I will eventually post all of the evidentiary materials (after a national news program that is filming this week airs).

*This is all being done with the (hesitant) consent of Holtzclaw's lawyers, family and Daniel himself. That said, they have no control over what I write regarding the documents I post. As I will be posting things that look extremely favorable for Daniel and equally those things that are not so favorable for him. All with the goal of getting a much more complete picture of the allegations, investigation, trial, verdict, sentencing, appeal and moving forward....

I'll have to admit to being swayed to the position of doubt by BB's info. Not innocence, but doubt to the point that I'm not so certain anymore about what seemed clear before. Uncertain to the point that I've had to ask myself to what degree Holtzclaw's case is more about the current societal climate than about him,

As for TLO, I've read it since in inception and though they occasionally do something that's amusing, they've always appeared a bit petty and mean spirited instead of funny. But, nobody else does what they do and they are sometimes close to funny. If they could find one slightly above average satirist, they could be something really special.

Why is Kim Davis so fixated on whether or not he had wake up sex or not? Anyways very nice write up and I hope this gets another look because right now it appears{possibly} this may have been tantamount to a witch hunt.

12. Default Re: OKC Cop Gets 263 Years For Sex Crimes

Quote Originally Posted by Achilleslastand View Post
    Why is Kim Davis so fixated on whether or not he had wake up sex or not? Anyways very nice write up and I hope this gets another look because right now it appears{possibly} this may have been tantamount to a witch hunt.
    Her entire goal was to be able to say she got him to 'crack' and 'lie' about something so that she could save face and try and use it against Daniel during the interrogation.

It may mean something to some people - and I don't take issue with that - but, personally, I didn't see that as "Daniel Lying." You call my wife while she's at the gym and say.... "I know you've been trying to get ahold of Brian. Don't worry, he's with me and okay. I'm a Detective in Sex Crimes - Did you and Brian have sex early this morning?" She'd probably tell you off and hang up. At the very least she'd say "no" regardless of the truth because it's none of your business or - as Daniel's girlfriend testified: it would have been around 3:40am and she takes sleeping medication and they live together. So, Daniel trying to have sex with her isn't exactly an Earth shattering event she makes a mental note of every time it happens.

FYI - I've created a Twitter account where I will be posting updates to his case and notifications s to when I post new documents to my HoltzclawTrial website.... Twitter: @HoltzclawTrial

I just saw that ABC is airing a special tonight at 7 about this...

14. Default Re: OKC Cop Gets 263 Years For Sex Crimes

Just providing an update for anyone who happens to read through this thread.

Daniel Holtzclaw's appeal attorney has request and been granted a 3rd extension to finalize Holtzclaw's appeal.

One important factor is the disclosure that the DNA evidence at trial may have been unfairly presented to the jury. Specifically, the DNA testing was presented to the jury as only revealing the presence of one of the female accuser's DNA on the fly of Holtzclaw's pants (the 17-year old). What was not disclosed the jury was the fact that at least one unidentified male's DNA was also found on the fly of Holtzclaw's pants and that DNA profile has excluded Holtzclaw as the contributor. That fact would appear to bolster the defense's theory that the DNA (which is simply skin cells) is merely touch or transfer DNA and has nothing to do with sexual assault.

This is just one of several points being argued in the appeal. However, this one could have the most significant impact on the appeal process.

I've been aware of this finding for some time, but was asked to not mention it until it was made public in the extension request filing.

Whatever the result of the appeal, the appellant has a damn fine attorney working on his behalf, with access to many other very sharp minds in his group.

16. Default Re: OKC Cop Gets 263 Years For Sex Crimes

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Whatever the result of the appeal, the appellant has a damn fine attorney working on his behalf, with access to many other very sharp minds in his group.
    I'm very anxious to read the final appeal. I'm a bit concerned he was only granted 30 days when asking for an extension of time (meaning the final appeal is due this week). I can find several examples of cases that were far less tedious that were granted 90-day extensions without any fuss at all. I'm guessing more time will be needed and a hearing will be set.

I speak to Daniel weekly. He's been in contact with his lawyer and is very hopeful.

I put this video together the other day...

I haven't watched the video yet, but I know one of the accusers first said she was assaulted by a 'short, black man'. With the arrest of Lt. Alex Edwards, does this help Daniel?

http://kfor.com/2016/10/15/oklahoma-...inal-activity/

18. Default Re: OKC Cop Gets 263 Years For Sex Crimes

Quote Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
    I haven't watched the video yet, but I know one of the accusers first said she was assaulted by a 'short, black man'. With the arrest of Lt. Alex Edwards, does this help Daniel?

http://kfor.com/2016/10/15/oklahoma-...inal-activity/
    Some people are already trying to make that connection. I think that's way too pre-mature and has no foundation of fact (at this point). I personally do not think there will be any connection at all - as it's my total belief the assault never happened. She was approached by detectives, told they thought she was a victim of sexual assault by an Oklahoma City police officer, the media had already reported on it and she simply took a real event - being stopped by police - and inserted a sexual assault claim. In reality, the stop by Daniel was so insignificant that she couldn't recall what he looked like, so, she simply described an officer she has seen in the area previously. This has been my stance for some time now.

This particular 30 day extension did not surprise me, as it is a third request for an extension of time. For some time now, the court has not been real crazy about extensions beyond 30 days, nor more than three without a hearing being set.

That began in the afterglow (aftermath?) of the Harris v. Champion litigation on appellate delays in the early-mid 90's. The backlog at the time was so severe the first extension of time request in indigent non-capital case appeals was routinely pegged at one year, and more extensions followed. A large influx of funds, a passle of defense attorneys who took on cases dirt dawg cheap, a cadre of temp counsel added to the AG staff, and drafting trial court judges into temporary three judge appellate panels for a while eliminated the rather embarrassing backlog of cases, with others contracted out later to keep the issue from recurring.

Other divisions in the indigent defense agency over time have also pitched in to address non-capital appeals, for the same reasons.

I imagine most recent extensions longer than 30 day extensions may be related to record issues or new counsel entering the case with no prior involvement in the case. Could be wrong as I've been out of the appellate work for many a year now.

New extension request seeking more time to file the appellant's brief was sought on Oct. 19. As would be expected, the Court set a show cause hearing, which will be held 11 am on 11/01.

21. Default Re: OKC Cop Gets 263 Years For Sex Crimes

Feb. 1, 2017 - final deadline. Expect no more extensions.

22. Default Re: OKC Cop Gets 263 Years For Sex Crimes

Michelle Malkin is launching her new subscription based investigative show on CRTV with a two part series on the Daniel Holtzclaw case in December...

Rez an old thread after I saw this today:
    "Holtzclaw billboard in NE Oklahoma City sparks controversy"
    http://okcfox.com/news/local/holtzcl...ks-controversy

I saw Brian on the news last night and I agreed with his statement...

"If the billboard said Daniel Holtzclaw is innocent, Daniel Holtzclaw's accusers are liars I think people would have a right to be a little outraged,"

Blog Entries

I saw Brian on the news last night and I agreed with his statement...

"If the billboard said Daniel Holtzclaw is innocent, Daniel Holtzclaw's accusers are liars I think people would have a right to be a little outraged,"
    In my opinion, if the women were really sexually assaulted, they should be mighty damned mad and speaking out about it.

Thread Information