Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Default Re: OKC Cop Gets 263 Years For Sex Crimes

On a somewhat related note, I am curious to know the merits of attorney Scott Adams? If I recall over the many years, he has had his hand in many high profile cases. But what I also recall, is that the perception is that he is typically representing/defending the sleaziest of the sleazy, and the shadiest of the shady. Is his win/loss record within the community something that is highly regarded? Or is a trial win/loss record even something used to guage the success of a defense attorney? I'm just curious to know why he seems to keep popping up in high profile cases, and what it is about him that makes him such a viable option for said cases.

I had an acquaintance/friend many many years ago (15-20 years ago maybe?) He was as shady as they come, almost a professional con man If I had to describe him. He was always in trouble with the law, or all sorts of different things. From drugs, to guns, to gambling, to DUI...it didn't matter...he was always involved, and always getting arrested. However...he had DEEP pockets, and Scott Adams as an attorney. He never spent any time in jail, and even though all of us close to him, knew how ****ty of a person he was...it never mattered, because he would jus call Scott Adams up...and all was well.

So, is he just a badass at what he does? I am just curious is all...nothing negative suggested towards Scott Adams, or his accused in any case....it is just something that I have wondered over the years.

2. Default Re: OKC Cop Gets 263 Years For Sex Crimes

Obviously I'm biased as we are good friends - so much so I'm also now his neighbor.

I liked Adams the moment I met him because he's the only attorney who has taken his client to jury trial after I have caught them with a prostitute. This was probably in the late 90's. I didn't know him from any other attorney and he annihilated me on the stand. The prostitute (with a public defender) was found guilty and the alleged 'John' (an Edmond principle) hired Adams and was found not guilty.

To this day (20 years and counting), not another single case I have brought through my activism has ended in anything less than a guilty plea or conviction.

Adams also was hired and flown to NY and got the only acquittal for any defendant in the Wolf of Wall Street trials years ago.

There are no tricks or back door deals - that's all made for TV thinking. There are just really good lawyers, okay lawyers and not so good lawyers.

Are some criminal defendants scum bags? Certainly they are. Are they any less deserving of the best defense possible? Not at all.

He also will not sell his client out to gain favor with the DA's office on other cases. Which is another reason I choose him when I needed a lawyer.

Adams is also actually a trial lawyer. Many attorneys virtually never take a case to trial. Adams does many times a year and usually either wins or gets his client a much better result than they assumed they'd get.

You have to have really good trial lawyers like Adams to keep the system sharp, honest and on its toes.

Others may have a different opinion, but I don't choose to trust many people, and I'd trust him (and did) with my life and freedom.

His reputation obviously has him ranked up there with the really good one's.

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy View Post
    On a somewhat related note, I am curious to know the merits of attorney Scott Adams? If I recall over the many years, he has had his hand in many high profile cases. But what I also recall, is that the perception is that he is typically representing/defending the sleaziest of the sleazy, and the shadiest of the shady. Is his win/loss record within the community something that is highly regarded? Or is a trial win/loss record even something used to guage the success of a defense attorney? I'm just curious to know why he seems to keep popping up in high profile cases, and what it is about him that makes him such a viable option for said cases.

I had an acquaintance/friend many many years ago (15-20 years ago maybe?) He was as shady as they come, almost a professional con man If I had to describe him. He was always in trouble with the law, or all sorts of different things. From drugs, to guns, to gambling, to DUI...it didn't matter...he was always involved, and always getting arrested. However...he had DEEP pockets, and Scott Adams as an attorney. He never spent any time in jail, and even though all of us close to him, knew how ****ty of a person he was...it never mattered, because he would jus call Scott Adams up...and all was well.

So, is he just a badass at what he does? I am just curious is all...nothing negative suggested towards Scott Adams, or his accused in any case....it is just something that I have wondered over the years.
    Scott's a good guy. He knows what he's doing. He's probably in the top tier of Oklahoma County-based defense attorneys. And it seems he does take a lot of high profile cases. But just because some of his clients may be scumbags, that doesn't mean Scott is.

It's hard to judge an attorney by a win-loss record. A lot of times you can't pick which cases go to trial. I've joked that when I was a PD I used to get jackass clients who were caught on video committing the crime, hold up their ID card to the camera, purposefully leave DNA and fingerprints at the scene, signed a written confession, and then tell me "I'm not pleading to nothing, I'm taking this thing to trial!" Well, okay buddy. On the other hand I've seen cases where there was a great chance for an acquittal, but the defense attorney has his head up his butt and loses it. Or panics and convinces the guy to plea guilty.

Some lawyers represent as many clients as possible, and give a discount rate. A guy who makes a career out of that can make a ton of money, but I probably wouldn't want to go to trial with him on anything serious. Scott isn't that type of lawyer. Of course, when you take fewer cases, especially high profile ones, you've got to charge a lot. I don't know what he charged Holtzclaw, but for a trial that lasted a month, and what had to be thousands of hours of prep work and investigation, it had to be a pretty penny. The prosecutors in Holtzclaw's case were Gayland Geiger and Lori McConnell. Lori is good in trial, and Gayland is excellent. He may be the best trial lawyer in the DA's office. Prater didn't put no scrub lawyers on this case.

Thanks for those two replies, and I'm glad that neither one of you took my comments as questioning the ethics, nor the character of Scott Adams. (Because after rereading my original post..it could have been taken that way.) But just communicating something that had been on my mind for quite a while. He's obviously good at what he does, and if I ever got banged up, and found myself in a position to need a good defense lawyer, He would definitely be on my radar.

5. Default Re: OKC Cop Gets 263 Years For Sex Crimes

Even though I was on the defense, I would definitely agree that Gayland is probably the best prosecutor in the DA's office. He was thoroughly prepared and left very few rocks unturned. I felt he was unnecessarily crude with Holtzclaw's ex girlfriend (but I understand there was bad blood there as her sister was an ADA). That aside, I really enjoyed watching him in action and it was a treat to try and go toe to toe with him be reinterpreting his evidence.

Some counsel are born and bred trial litigators. Some are very skillful negotiators.
    When you have a case where a trial is a must, you want the former, and that includes Scott Adams.

Great discussion. Fascinating insight all around. Quick question...

Have they cleaned things up in the prosecutors office since the days of Bob Macy? It was down right corrupt in those days. Personal experience with that office on this question. They purposefully lost evidence and failed to charge a person that was friends with one of the ADA. I was later told by a former ADA that was pretty standard in Macy's office. I mean we all know about the big stuff and the forensics, but apparently the word "corruption" pretty much typified the office of Mr. Macy.

The scary thing to me is, and correct me if I'm wrong, many of the current judges came out of the office of Bob Macy.

8. Default Re: OKC Cop Gets 263 Years For Sex Crimes

I believe, for the most part, the days of the Bob Macy DA's and Joyce Gilchrist forensics analysts are thankfully gone.

Are there still honest mistakes, occasional deliberate 'mistakes', politics in action and wink and a nod deals that happen? Absolutely, and I've seen it.

It was only in 2012 that a couple of ADA's were fired for intentionally hiding evidence (witness) from a murder defendant's attorney. That said, it was another prosecutor who alerted DA Prater to concerns they had with the two ADA's in that particular trial.

I'm not a lawyer so I certainly don't see as much of the current regime under DA Prater's leadership as actual lawyers do.

My perspective is limited to my activism and the dozen or more cases a year I work on in various capacities for other lawyers and their clients. And other that the occasional ADA who gives totally irrational recs on a case, they mostly seem to go as expected.

Its no secret I openly campaigned to get then DA Wes Lane out of office and then unknown defense atty. David Prater into office. During the election and for some time after, Prater would call me frequently, would openly shake my hand and greet me with a smile whenever he saw me in public and share insights with me into cases his office was prosecuting or investigating.

That said, I harbored no illusions that the day Prater was elected it would only be a matter of time before the 'Hellos' became intense stares and awkward encounters. Those days have been here for awhile. I ran into DA Prater the other day during the Holtzclaw trial and Prater could only manage a glare and to say my name in a muffled voice. I can't say that I blame him though. Anyone who reads my website knows I hold his feet to the fire on a regular basis for the unthinkably lax sentences his office routinely agrees to in human trafficking and child trafficking cases.

------------------------

Note to DA Prater (in the event he reads this, I know some ADA's do): In Oct. of 2013 you called me (it was recorded). During that conversation I told you I was upset because several high profile people had been arrested on prostitution charges and that while the 'normal folk' were all criminally charged as a result of the sting(s), several people with connections to the DA's office were not.

In particular I mentioned a high profile local surgeon, a local millionaire, someone in the news media, two local lawyers, etc. I even detailed very concerning information regarding one of the lawyers. You specifically told me to provide you with all of the names so you could look into it. You also assured me you'd get back to me and let me know what happened in those cases.

You obviously did look into it and didn't like the reality.

Two months later, in December of 2013, I contacted you to inquire if you had had time to look into the matter - something you told me was of great concern to you and you would get someone on it immediately.

You emailed the following response that same day: "Brian, I wouldn’t assume anything except that I have been too busy to follow-up on your information. I hope to do that soon, but I don’t have a timeline for you. David"

Its now Dec. of 2015 and I've yet to hear from you regarding this matter. In fact, that was the last communication you ever had with me - which I find very telling.

-----

To swing this discussion back on topic to the Holzclaw case - one thing that made defending Holtzclaw so difficult and, in my opinion, very unfair for our client, was the reality that the police and DA's office were the custodians of all the records.

In most criminal cases I can work behind the scenes to interview individuals, subpoena/request records and statements for consideration. The prosecution often has no idea what angle the defense is taking and each side work independently. However, when the defendant is a police officer accused of doing crimes while on duty, literally every record we'd want to even look at is in the care, custody and control of the state. There is nothing we can inquire about without the prosecution being put on alert and potentially using it against us. It often felt like I was working for the prosecution.

Examples:
    A.) Daniel is adamant that when he pulled Ligons over she self admitted she had prescription bottles in her purse (legally). Daniel says he looked in her purse, saw the bottles, saw her name on the label and didn't think anything of it. (I'd have to look but it was allegedly some sort of controlled narcotic)

At trial Ligons claimed she didn't have any bottles in her purse and doesn't have any prescriptions.

We requested Ligons' prescription history through the only channel we can get it - the DA's office. Sure enough, the database only goes back so many months and it showed no prescriptions in her name and they then used the discovery we requested against us. Had we been able to get that information any other way we would have simply deemed it unhelpful and gone on without the state ever even apparently considering to look for that information.

B.) The state made a huge deal out of the fact Daniel turned his AVL off just before pulling Ligons over and assaulting her. They pointed out how that was not only against OCPD police, but against a directive Chief Citty had emailed every officer about. The prosecution contended that Daniel did it on purpose as part of the escalation of his criminal activity and turning off his AVL was directly tied to Ligons' assault.

Daniel was adamant he never followed the Chief's directive and randomly turned his AVL on/off everywhere except where he was supposed to (at his residence). The only way we could prove that was to request the information from - you guessed it - the police (who were obviously an active part of the prosecution). We were reluctant to request the information because of what happened with the prescription history. You never ask (or reveal) a question to the prosecution you don't already know the answer to. We assumed the prosecution and police detectives had already pulled this information for themselves. We also assumed since they didn't present Daniel's AVL history as evidence then it must not have favored the prosecution. Which begs the question - if they presented his AVL that night at damning, would it not be considered exculpatory if they at the same time knew it was simply routine? Regardless, we rolled the dice and sure enough, Daniel's AVL history clearly showed he not once ever followed the policy or directive of turning his AVL on/off from his residence - proving there was nothing sinister about turning off his AVL on the early morning hours of 6/18/2014.

We obviously wanted to make the same requests of other information, but deemed it far too risky.

I personally think there needs to be a way to get a 3rd party involved when it comes to collecting evidence for the defense from prosecutorial sources.

9. Default Re: OKC Cop Gets 263 Years For Sex Crimes

Oklahoman 1/20/2016

Convicted Oklahoma City police officer seeks new trial

*Just to be clear. I don't think this will result in a new trial. I do hope it results in an evidentiary hearing.

Why is this in politics? Why must we lump anything unpleasant or controversial in with politics? Perhaps that attitude is why younger generations have an absolutely pathetic record of showing up to vote? Because our judiciary is still (for now!) independent, this sort of subject should be aggressively a-political.

11. Default Re: OKC Cop Gets 263 Years For Sex Crimes

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    Why is this in politics? Why must we lump anything unpleasant or controversial in with politics? Perhaps that attitude is why younger generations have an absolutely pathetic record of showing up to vote? Because our judiciary is still (for now!) independent, this sort of subject should be aggressively a-political.
    I agree. I actually sent Pete a private message back when this was moved to the Politics section - but he never bothered to reply back to me.

As far as I can tell, politics has never come up and the debate and sharing of information has been cordial. How this qualified as 'political' at this point I have no idea.

12. Default Re: OKC Cop Gets 263 Years For Sex Crimes

Some additional insight on the motion that was filed:

OCPD Detective Jake McClain - referenced in the Oklahoman article above and in Holtzclaw's motion - is the same OCPD Sex Crimes Detective that falsely asserted a Moore little league coach sexually assaulted a 12 year old girl. After convincing a Cleveland County DA to file serious criminal charges against the coach, Det. McClain testified in trial that he literally did no investigation at all. He simply took the girl's statement and asserted that in his professional opinion the crime happened and that the defendant should be facing up to life in prison. He never even attempted to go by the alleged crime scene or interview the defendant.

I was the investigator in that case for the defense and the coach was acquitted of the charges.

So, I certainly would not put it past this detective to hide evidence. Or, at the very least to brag about an investigation he actually never did.

Below is Det McClain's Facebook post....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CZMlEseUYAAsaK_.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	120.4 KB 
ID:	12120

Obviously, as a sex crimes detective that supposedly worked on this case, he is making assertions that directly contradict the evidence testified to in court and provided to the defense.

At the absolute very least, OCPD should have a policy forbidding officers/detectives from commenting on social media regarding ongoing cases (if not all cases irregardless).

Wow... not only is that highly unprofessional, your client probably has a decent libel case against the detective. How unprofessional.

And he doesn't know how to spell, either. It's "drivel", not "dribble".

15. Default Re: OKC Cop Gets 263 Years For Sex Crimes

Det. McClain was called to the stand and he had to admit he was just a blow hard liar. Admitted the ONLY thing he did in the case was get a screen grab for Det. Gregory. He simply made up the rest based on 'office gossip.'

Completely unprofessional. But, a lesson I'm told he will not soon forget.

I am actually happy that LEO was put on the stand in a hearing. Having shred his own credibility under oath, he'll likely be able to cause less blowhard disguised as truth sort of harm to others.

17. Default Re: OKC Cop Gets 263 Years For Sex Crimes

I wrote an article on my website about the case. I tried to stick only to the evidence that was actually introduced in trial and stayed away from theories, motivations, race issues, jury makeup, accuser backgrounds, influences upon the jury, etc. (except where evidentiary in nature).

There're literally boxes and boxes of evidence containing details here and there I could point out. I tried to narrow it down to just 10 compelling issues. There's even an incident I can't into specifics of right now, where a former OKCtalk member forced a special in chambers hearing that delayed the trial for a few hours.

Its a long read, but its here if anyone is interested...

Former OKC police officer Daniel Holtzclaw sentenced to 263 years for sexual assaults; A closer look

I'm hoping to actually post the evidence (police reports, transcripts, audio and video files, photos, etc.) in the near future. First some decisions have to be made by those with actual law degrees and there is some exclusive obligations to a national media outlet to consider. But, I stand 100% behind all of my assertions as actual evidence introduced in open court.

I don't have any expectation that everyone (or even a majority) agrees with me. I just think more information is better than less when coming to conclusions that have captivated and ignited so many.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    I wrote an article on my website about the case. I tried to stick only to the evidence that was actually introduced in trial and stayed away from theories, motivations, race issues, jury makeup, accuser backgrounds, influences upon the jury, etc. (except where evidentiary in nature).

There're literally boxes and boxes of evidence containing details here and there I could point out. I tried to narrow it down to just 10 compelling issues. There's even an incident I can't into specifics of right now, where a former OKCtalk member forced a special in chambers hearing that delayed the trial for a few hours.

Its a long read, but its here if anyone is interested...

Former OKC police officer Daniel Holtzclaw sentenced to 263 years for sexual assaults; A closer look

I'm hoping to actually post the evidence (police reports, transcripts, audio and video files, photos, etc.) in the near future. First some decisions have to be made by those with actual law degrees and there is some exclusive obligations to a national media outlet to consider. But, I stand 100% behind all of my assertions as actual evidence introduced in open court.

I don't have any expectation that everyone (or even a majority) agrees with me. I just think more information is better than less when coming to conclusions that have captivated and ignited so many.
    FWIW it's starting to pop up on my newsfeed in Facebook.

19. Default Re: OKC Cop Gets 263 Years For Sex Crimes

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    It appears to have received the attention of a few very large news productions. Two of the largest in the US are vying for the first opportunity to put my assertions into a larger public discussion.

Their fact checkers are actually coming to OKC to go over all my supporting evidence (court records, police records, video and audio interviews, etc.).

It will air fairly quickly.

None of this however negates the fact that all of this was presented in open trial and Daniel was still found guilty. My only desire is to make sure people can base their opinion on facts and not chants.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    Mine too since TLO is in my feed: The Video Vigilante thinks Daniel Holtzclaw is innocent? | The Lost Ogle

Quote Originally Posted by mkjeeves View Post
    TLO, and I know it's hard to believe this, has gotten worse than ever. Fake stories, half their "news" stories that aren't fake are things that were posted here first (maybe they should send Pete a thank you note), and then crap like this. I'm not sure what I believe with Holtzclaw, but I at least read Brian's article with an open mind, and it does bring up valid questions. It's obvious TLO skimmed the beginning, and then jumped right into am attack blog post. It's rather pathetic.

22. Default Re: OKC Cop Gets 263 Years For Sex Crimes

Mr. Bates - why do you call everybody else Mr. so-and-so (as almost all other news organizations do when reporting a story, or just use the last name) and call the accused/convicted person "Daniel"? Just curious, seems odd...

I was always under the impression TLO was a satirical site aimed at poking fun at local stuff. Go figure.

I know very little about this case. If holtzclaw is indeed innocent then I have to wonder why okcpd and the district attorney were so zealous in bringing down one of their own. Again if he's innocent there has to be far more to this story than meets the eye. I'm from Missouri on this one.
    Don't hassle me, I'm local.

Your opinion (the royal you), my opinion, BB's opinion, plus five bucks will buy a cup of coffee in some places.

A good chuckle that comes more often than not from TLO...priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by mkjeeves View Post
    A good chuckle that comes more often than not from TLO...priceless.
    Trouble is, IMO, those are getting rarer, especially recently. Not sure if they're trying out changes or what. And I'm already missing Monday Morning Tweets.

Thread Information