Widgets Magazine
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112
  1. Default Re: OKC Cop Gets 263 Years For Sex Crimes

News9: Daniel Holtzclaw Takes Stand, Proclaims Innocence Under Oath In Federal Deposition

Couple of corrections: The title is incorrect. Holtzclaw did not 'take the stand' (in the literal sense) and he did not appear in federal court, as the article states. He was transported to Lexington, where he was deposed by Crump and other lawyers for the accusers involved in a federal civil lawsuit against Holtzclaw, the city of OKC, the OKC police dept. and individuals.

It is significant however that he did not take the 5th and answered the lengthy questions that were asked of him. This is the first time he has spoken under oath about the allegations against him.

Default Re: OKC Cop Gets 263 Years For Sex Crimes

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    News9: Daniel Holtzclaw Takes Stand, Proclaims Innocence Under Oath In Federal Deposition

Couple of corrections: The title is incorrect. Holtzclaw did not 'take the stand' (in the literal sense) and he did not appear in federal court, as the article states. He was transported to Lexington, where he was deposed by Crump and other lawyers for the accusers involved in a federal civil lawsuit against Holtzclaw, the city of OKC, the OKC police dept. and individuals.

It is significant however that he did not take the 5th and answered the lengthy questions that were asked of him. This is the first time he has spoken under oath about the allegations against him.
    will we eventually get an episode of the podcast on this? also, keep up the great work. i still have some doubts about his complete innocence, but very clearly things were pinned on him that couldn't have been him, and you lay it out by letting the prosecution and police do that work for you... just a jumbled mess...

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post

This is a civil case and the 5th isn't automatic in civil case, it's a criminal protection. I'm not even sure it would apply at all since he's already been convicted of the charges.

4. Default Re: OKC Cop Gets 263 Years For Sex Crimes

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    This is a civil case and the 5th isn't automatic in civil case, it's a criminal protection. I'm not even sure it would apply at all since he's already been convicted of the charges.
    This was argued/discussed [Kastigar v. United States, 406 U.S. 441, 445 (1972)]. Of course it depended a lot on the question [Hoffman v. United States, 341 U.S. 479, 486 (1951)]. At issue was the fact he had already been convicted - but - was actively appealing the conviction to higher court with a possible remedy being a new trial and possibly new charges. No idea how a judge would have ruled. Regardless, the choices at the time being 1.) Seek 5th Amendment Protection and refuse to answer (possibly let a judge decide later - though I'm not sure what a judge could do to compel him) 2.) Object, asserting 5th Amendment protection, answer and then let a judge decide. 3.) Simply refuse to answer or actively participate in the deposition 4.) Answer as vaguely as possible 5.) Just answer the question truthfully and completely. He choose to go with #5.

5. Default Re: OKC Cop Gets 263 Years For Sex Crimes

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    will we eventually get an episode of the podcast on this? also, keep up the great work. i still have some doubts about his complete innocence, but very clearly things were pinned on him that couldn't have been him, and you lay it out by letting the prosecution and police do that work for you... just a jumbled mess...
    Yes. I will eventually be getting to the trial and post trial details. I'll be getting into some behind the scenes drama between myself and Zellner too.

*Speaking of drama. When I get to the trial episode(s) there will be a cameo from a distant longtime but well-known member of this OKCTalk forum who used to cause 'issues.' Well, he caused issues at the trial too that had to be handled in chambers. This person doesn't even know they are a part of the trial transcript. It will be interesting to see how triggered he gets over this

6. Default Re: OKC Cop Gets 263 Years For Sex Crimes

FYI - Up to Episode 15 on the podcast of Oklahoma vs. Daniel Holtzclaw.

Most recent episodes:

Episode 11 | The Tabitha Barnes Allegations
    https://www.holtzclawtrial.com/ep11

Episode 12 | The Tabitha Barnes Allegations Scrutinized (Part 1)
    https://www.holtzclawtrial.com/ep12

Episode 13 | The Tabitha Barnes Allegations Scrutinized (Part 2)
    https://www.holtzclawtrial.com/ep13

Episode 14 | The Carla Johnson Allegations
    https://www.holtzclawtrial.com/ep14

Episode 15 | The Carla Raines Allegations (Part 1)
    https://www.holtzclawtrial.com/ep15

Many of the episodes contain recorded interviews that have never been played publicly - many not even during the trial itself.

7. Default Re: OKC Cop Gets 263 Years For Sex Crimes

Jason Flom's podcast, 'Wrongful Convictions' features Daniel Holtzclaw in a Season Nine episode that launched today.... 'Daniel Holtzclaw and The Court of Public Opinion.'

Link (because I can no longer create linkable text): https://www.wrongfulconvictionpodcas...public-opinion

His podcast currently has over 10-million downloads, so, for its space, it has a very good reach. Flom is an entrepreneur, music industry exec, activist and founding member of the Innocence Project.

It's a 46 minute episode with guests: Daniel Holtzclaw, Jenny Holtzclaw and biologist Erica Fuchs.

The episode doesn't go into any real depth (as the case is simply too complex for a single episode podcast) but it does give a good, but biased, overview of the case from Holtzclaw's supporter's perspective. It does get a few assertions wrong, but nothing major.

This podcast episode by Flom is actually a reminder of why I'm doing as in-depth of a podcast as I am. It's simply too easy to take one side, leave out the opposing side, gloss over the facts as you see them and leave the public going..... "But that about [insert critical fact/myth for or against Holtzclaw]?"

Regardless, if you want a less than one hour perspective of Holtzclaw's supporters? This is a good place to start.

--------

Additional Resources:

1.) Jason Flom Wiki Page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Flom

2.) Wrongful Conviction Home: https://www.wrongfulconvictionpodcast.com

I am honestly not sure why they gave him 263 years, he is not going to live to 263 years old so what is the point?

9. Default Re: OKC Cop Gets 263 Years For Sex Crimes

Quote Originally Posted by SoonersFan12 View Post
    I am honestly not sure why they gave him 263 years, he is not going to live to 263 years old so what is the point?
    Well, they arrived at the 263 by stacking the sentences of each conviction (running them consecutively as opposed to concurrently). Had they run them concurrently, then he'd serve the longest sentence, which was 62 years (accuser who swore her attacker was a short black guy and Daniel's patrol car GPS proves he couldn't have taken her where she and prosecutors claim she was taken and raped). He'd have to serve at least 85% of that sentence before becoming eligible for parole.

That's not unusual.

Another high profile convicted serial rapist in Oklahoma County got just over 1,000 years AND multiple consecutive life terms.

Blog Entries

The young man, who caused two fatalities in a car crash during a Thanksgiving eve police pursuit near Yale, is more deserving of such very long prison sentences in my opinion. I believe his guilt is indisputable.

Thread Information