Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NW 122nd and May

Default NW 122nd and May

Plans have been submitted to demolish the small strip center on the NW corner of NW 122nd & May and build a CVS.

Default Re: NW 122nd and May

BTW, no real action on the old Homeland space at this same intersection.

No luck finding another grocer but have been approached by a couple of gyms.

Blog Entries

Makes sense as there is a Walgreens 100 yards away on the other side of the street.

On a personal note, I was the leasing agent for that little center when it was first constructed in the 80's.

Many may remember Famous Amos cookies on that corner for years. That franchise location was actually owned by former OK County DA Wes Lane.

The existing little center is much more attractive than that CVS. Between the Walgreens, this CVS and the vacant Homeland, that intersection is going downhill which is amazing as you've got Northpark and Quail Creek at that intersection. I would hope for better at that intersection.

When the strip center behind this property was built in the late 70's / early 80's, it was very high-end. Carriage Plaza I think was the name.

They had an expensive wedding store, a high-end gift shop and were in general really picky about their tenants.

Then it was sold and it all changed and really that intersection isn't as nice as it once was, even though the demographics around there are still great. QC has definitely had a resurgence.

You're right Pete.
    My parents live in Quail Creek and I've been going through that intersection literally my whole life. I know this general subject has been discussed in other threads, but when I went home for Thanksgiving I was surprised how shabby looking both North May and North Penn have become. Quail Creek is vibrant and nice and so I'm just surprised the commercial property owners from Hefner up to Memorial along May haven't updated and kept pace.

Wasn't there a really high-end French restaurant in that Homeland center? I think so. Hard to imagine a nice non-chain restaurant selecting that center now.

Most of the strip centers in that area were built in the 1980s and haven't been updated since. The Homeland there failed not because its a bad location but because they didn't invest in it. The Shoppes at Quail Springs and the new shopping center at 122nd and MacArthur are both positive steps forward, but for the most part the dilapidated commercial development up there is bringing down what otherwise could be a decent part of suburbia. The two worst properties are the center where Crest is located at Hefner and Rockwell and the nearly abandoned strip center across from where the new Sprouts is going at 122nd and MacArthur.

In my opinion, this is where OKC really suffers from not having a dominant midrange grocer like Kroger or H-E-B. These stores are not only above and beyond what is standard in most of OKC, but their investment in their stores helps keep aging centers viable.

I know Quail Creek has become pretty hot of late.

They spent a lot of money remodeling the clubhouse at the country club and I believe membership there is quite healthy and the golf course has been largely returned to the standards of the glory days of the 70's.

And I know a lot of the houses in there have been remodeled. And home prices have gone up substantially just in the last 5 years or so.

That area deserves higher quality commercial development and this CVS isn't a step in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    That area deserves higher quality commercial development and this CVS isn't a step in the right direction.
    I agree with this. It would be better to just leave the strip center as is in my opinion. I am guessing the existing CVS in the Homeland shopping center will be closing?

If so, I believe the time might be ripe to completely demolish that center and do a new development. There is a lot of money in that area so its hard to believe commercial developers wouldn't see it as viable.

This will be great! I like how the parking is in the back.

That's interesting, but I wonder where all the shops will go. I believe there's a dry cleaners on the far end and I love Sweetery Eatery (delicious chicken salad sandwich) and the Jamba Juice in there.

My understanding is this change isn't going to happen right away, as they have to wait for several leases to expire.

I don't think demolition is imminent.

Defense
    On a personal note, I was the leasing agent for that little center when it was first constructed in the 80's.

Many may remember Famous Amos cookies on that corner for years. That franchise location was actually owned by former OK County DA Wes Lane.
    Back then I was working for a painting crew on homes in Val Verde, Bocage, Summerfield, Summer Meadows and we used to stop in Famous Amos's from time to time. They were pretty good as I recall.

I would love to live in QC.

Pete...any updates on Hopscotch? (I know I should post this in the thread for it)

The CVS currently across the street is a dump. I don't mind a new CVS going in on that corner as finally there will be something "new" which may spur the change at the intersection. That Shell on the corner is ugly also.

nm

Nothing wrong with CVS at that corner. Big names corner the market on…well…corners!!! (Pun definitely intended ).

The reason that commercial has fallen off and struggled is that there is not enough density to support it. This tends to be the problem with sprawl. A few centers pop up, and they serve the immediate neighbors, and they do fine. Several more centers pop up and dilute the dollars from the localized economy, forcing better businesses to move elsewhere and being replaced by lower quality businesses.

The answer to this particular intersection is probably to completely level everything between 122nd/May/Indian Creek Blvd except for potentially the assisted living center and over time increase the density in the area. 1,000 units would be ideal here, both condos and apartments to keep a good mix. It would provide a shot in the arm for Northpark as well (who should also look into developing some of their surface into residential+structured parking).

Believe it or not, the area defined above is not much smaller than the developed area of Deep Deuce. If you increase the density at the intersection it helps the viability of the commercial development in the entire area.

BTW, no real action on the old Homeland space at this same intersection.

No luck finding another grocer but have been approached by a couple of gyms.
    A small boot camp style gym is going in the shopping center in January.

The corner lot has been razed.

^^yeah, I saw that today. Amazing the difference a week can make!

23. Default Re: NW 122nd and May

Whoa! What? I'm gonna have to drive by there tomorrow!

24. Default Re: NW 122nd and May

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Nothing wrong with CVS at that corner. Big names corner the market on…well…corners!!! (Pun definitely intended ).

The reason that commercial has fallen off and struggled is that there is not enough density to support it. This tends to be the problem with sprawl. A few centers pop up, and they serve the immediate neighbors, and they do fine. Several more centers pop up and dilute the dollars from the localized economy, forcing better businesses to move elsewhere and being replaced by lower quality businesses.

The answer to this particular intersection is probably to completely level everything between 122nd/May/Indian Creek Blvd except for potentially the assisted living center and over time increase the density in the area. 1,000 units would be ideal here, both condos and apartments to keep a good mix. It would provide a shot in the arm for Northpark as well (who should also look into developing some of their surface into residential+structured parking).

Believe it or not, the area defined above is not much smaller than the developed area of Deep Deuce. If you increase the density at the intersection it helps the viability of the commercial development in the entire area.
    It's an excellent idea but they NIMBY types would freak out for sure.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    It's an excellent idea but they NIMBY types would freak out for sure.
    No doubt, and that's exactly why it will continue it's long descent into mediocrity and irrelevance.

I know people don't like the "anti-Sprawl" rhetoric of people who are/consider themselves to be urbanists...but the reality is not so much that I'm anti-Sprawl (though I am)...it's that I have no reason to advocate for your sprawl instead of someone else's sprawl. Why should I support NOMA over PUNO (Putnam North @ 122nd/Rockwell)?

But you know who will get my business in the future? Chisholm Creek...Because it's interesting and compelling and...dense.

Thread Information