Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NW 122nd and May

Default Re: NW 122nd and May

The new CVS is quickly coming along. The physical structure is close to being complete.

Just curious if the new CVS has opened yet?

No, it's not open.

To build this new free-standing location, CVS moved out of the shopping center on the northeast corner of NW 122nd & May; the same center that has the huge former Homeland vacancy.

Dollar Tree will be taking the 8,700 SF space formerly occupied by CVS.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    To build this new free-standing location, CVS moved out of the shopping center on the northeast corner of NW 122nd & May; the same center that has the huge former Homeland vacancy.

Dollar Tree will be taking the 8,700 SF space formerly occupied by CVS.
    So, we'll have 2 Dollar Trees a mile from each other, or is the one at Hefner and May moving?

This seems to be a predictable situation. First CVS will open with great guns. . .24 hour pharmacy, film development, balloons for the kiddies. . and then the pharmacy will close at 9pm. . Then the store will close at 9pm. . . . You have to ask yourself if you are really any better off?

Building permit application has been filed for this site for a small, multi-tenant retail center. Has a drive-thru but not sure they have retained any tenants.

Unbelievable that these pieces of crap keep popping up, while older strip malls nearby have empty spaces in them. Not just specifically this one, but all over the city.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Unbelievable that these pieces of crap keep popping up, while older strip malls nearby have empty spaces in them. Not just specifically this one, but all over the city.
    Sure, but what are we to do, not allow new retail space until x% of existing retail space within y distance is occupied? Theres no good way to go about this other than let someone take a risk and invest their money and keep the commerce bus moving.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Sure, but what are we to do, not allow new retail space until x% of existing retail space within y distance is occupied? Theres no good way to go about this other than let someone take a risk and invest their money and keep the commerce bus moving.
    Yeah, I know we can't force people to do things like that, but I'm just wondering what the mindset of the developers that build these crappy things is, and the mindset of the people that want to occupy them?

I've seen *tons* of these new strips sit empty for months, so where's the revenue coming from to pay it off when they're that empty for that long? And for the occupants, what makes the new places more attractive than the older ones? Cheaper rent (not likely), better amenities (what amenities could be better in a new strip center, they're all just boxes with plumbing and electricity, no matter if they're new or old), better location (if the new one is just literally a block or two away from an older one), ...?

And BTW, you have the perfect username to reply to this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    The owners of the nearby centers with space can a) lower their price, b) improve the center's amenities and aesthetics, c) get a better leasing agent, d) sell to someone who will, or e) just live with the reduced income. The market and the owners will decide. Many of the old strip center owners have paid off the mortgage or have it financed/refinanced at very favorable terms (interest rates have stayed at historic lows, pumping up speculative commercial real estate) and are willing to live with reduced income rather than re-invest capital long term to stay competitive with new offerings.

Keep in mind that a very similar little retail center on the NW corner was recently demolished.

And on this site was a pretty shabby gas station.

Keep in mind that a very similar little retail center on the NW corner was recently demolished.

Yeah, had forgotten about the strip that got demo-ed, we very rarely get any further north than 63rd now. In this location, the new one may, kinda, sorta be justified, since there may not be any empty spots in the strip where Joey's is, or across May in the strip where Homeland used to be, or caddy-corner in the strip where City Bites and the liquor store is.

4 spots, so Donuts/Nails/CBD and a mystery shop?

Could that curb cut on 122nd be any closer to May?!

EDIT: Looking at google maps, it's the same cut as is currently there, but still...

Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    4 spots, so Donuts/Nails/CBD and a mystery shop?
    Little Caesar's/Mario's/Papa John's.

I'm still upset about that. I ate at the Sweetery Eatery there all the time. They had amazing sandwiches and desserts. I pray it reopens one day, but it doesn't seem they will.

I feel like an empty lot is an improvement over that Circle K, so I'm interested to see what tenants will occupy this space.

Scooter's Coffee filled their building permit application for this location.

Scooter's Coffee filled their building permit application for this location.
    Man, Scooters is ramping up all over the city.

Nice! Glad to have another drive thru coffee option in the area. I had heard they considered Britton and May, as well, so I'm happy they're close.

Scooter's will go on the south end of this strip; the south window will be the drive-thru.

Unlike their other OKC locations, they will also have a small amount of indoor seatiing.

The old Homeland on the NE corner of 122nd & May -- vacant for at least a decade -- is set to become a Crunch Fitness.

Will be nice to finally have a tenant in that building.

Blog Entries

^Has that been vacaant that long? WOW. Good news.

Thread Information