Widgets Magazine

Thread: Is this OKC or Yukon?

Yukon Is this OKC or Yukon?

So I've decided to purchase a house in the Canyon Creek subdivision (in between 15th St. and 29th St. on Mustang Rd.), and I was under the impression that the property was in OKC. However, the contract listed the zip code as 73099, which I know to be a Yukon zip.

I Googled the address, and everything lists the property as being a Yukon residence. I recall reading about Yukon annexing some land from OKC, but this seems to be a bit far south from what I remember. Could the zip be throwing off Google, or is this really Yukon?
    ...this shortest straw has been pulled for you

Default Re: Is this OKC or Yukon?

It's Oklahoma City I'm pretty sure. You can't really go by mailing zip codes since sometimes different post offices will have to get weird areas. For example, part of deer creek gets their mail from the Edmond post office but it's Oklahoma City limits. You can use the okc.gov/council/wardmap to enter your address and check or use its map.

It is OKC, Yukon's southern boundary in primarily NW 10th st, which is north of Reno.

This area south of Yukon is no mans land. OKC city limits, Yukon zip code and Mustang schools.

A few years back, Yukon city limits had around 22,000 people, but the 73099 zip code has around 50,000 people.

Be careful down that way, the Kilpatrick will be expanding in that direction in 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    This area south of Yukon is no mans land. OKC city limits, Yukon zip code and Mustang schools.
    This is so stupid. I don't understand why OKC has annexed land like this. I pretty much am in the camp that if it's in another city's school system it should be their land.

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
    This is so stupid. I don't understand why OKC has annexed land like this. I pretty much am in the camp that if it's in another city's school system it should be their land.
    Well, believe it or not Yukon annexed 11 acres of roadway a few years back from OKC, and recently have annexed another 20 or so acres for an athletic field park from OKC. City limits and school districts were drawn up 100 to 50 years ago and it's a tangled up mess.

Yep like others have said, OKC limits, Yukon address, Mustang schools. Most people in this area tend to refer to it as Yustang or Mukon. I have a good friend that lives West of where you are referring and always tells people he lives in Mustang. I say technically you live in OKC, but Yukon is a close second. He says he just says Mustang cause that's where his kids go to school.

And just to show how many times people ask this question, it's even on the cities site.

http://www.okc.gov/addressverificati...sslocator.aspx

What's crazy is the school districts. This area is 2 - 3 miles from Yukon High school. Most of this area immediately south of I-40 goes to Mustang High which is 7 - 8 miles away. Surrey Hills is 3 miles from Piedmont High school and most of Surrey Hills goes to Yukon which is 7 - 8 miles away.
    Makes little sense.

What's crazy is the school districts. This area is 2 - 3 miles from Yukon High school. Most of this area immediately south of I-40 goes to Mustang High which is 7 - 8 miles away. Surrey Hills is 3 miles from Piedmont High school and most of Surrey Hills goes to Yukon which is 7 - 8 miles away.
    Makes little sense.
    Yep I'm 4 miles from Mustang High but in Westmoore Schools. Never made sense to me.

Thanks to everyone who has responded. I'm glad to learn that I'm not the only one who is scratching his head at the ambiguity of this area. I'm originally from Mustang, and with this house being in the Mustang district, I'm inclined to call it "Mustang-ish." But man, that area is a free-for-all.
    ...this shortest straw has been pulled for you

Makes little sense.
    I am a little north of the location they asked about; OKC limits, Yukon zip, Yukon schools.

When I lived out in the eastern part of Okla county, southeast of Arcadia, I was in Oklahoma City, with a Jones address and Luther schools. So I know what you mean.

Makes little sense.
    Surrey Hills also has Yukon zip code, but is in OKC; in the days of the old Bell system, Surrey telephone were assigned to the Piedmont exchange.

Re school districts, Piedmont's extends all the way east to Council Road/NW122 area, which is only a couple miles from PC North.

Most of today's school district boundaries were drawn shortly after statehood, when all the areas mentioned in this thread were farms. Some of the boundaries could be adjusted, but since the schools receive their state funding based, at least in part, on average daily attendance, I wouldn't hold my breath, since no district is going to want to lose any students/funds.

14. Default Re: Is this OKC or Yukon?

A bit aside but this reminds me of the second house I owned. It was a couple blocks south of NW 36th and a couple blocks west of MacArthur. Our house was in Bethany. The houses to the south were in Warr Acres. The houses to the east were in OKC. This was before 911 was invented. The sellers told us in case of fire or police being needed to call all three and let them sort it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    I am a little north of the location they asked about; OKC limits, Yukon zip, Yukon schools.
    Same here

Makes little sense.
    Its due to I40. They don't want school buses crossing I40 every day. At least that was what I was told when I grew up.

Makes little sense.
    Do the property taxes from these areas fund the schools where the students who live there go?

Quote Originally Posted by OU Adonis View Post
    Its due to I40. They don't want school buses crossing I40 every day. At least that was what I was told when I grew up.
    The school district boundaries were set long before I40 was ever thought about.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Do the property taxes from these areas fund the schools where the students who live there go?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Yukon Public Schools received a portion of the Maps for Kids tax collected in OKC due to the school district overlap into the city. And yes to the property tax.

Thread Information