Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shoppes at Cheyenne Plaza

Default Shoppes at Cheyenne Plaza

New shopping center at 33rd St. and Bryant.

Goes before the planning commission on the 8th.

http://agenda.edmondok.com:8085/agen...q=7376&prev=0#

2. Default Re: Shoppes at Cheyenne Plaza

Looks nice. At least they put SOME kind of thought into the design.

Looking forward to hear the residents behind there start cackling.

Default Re: Shoppes at Cheyenne Plaza

Yeah. I'm getting the renderings rn

They are Shoppes and not Shops. That means they must be upscale and trendy.

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    Looks nice. At least they put SOME kind of thought into the design.

Looking forward to hear the residents behind there start cackling.
    From what I recall there's not much housing at the intersection, and it's already zoned commercial, so I'd be surprised to hear much. There will probably be someone with specific concerns that will be addressed (noise buffering, light pollution, etc) but I'd be shocked if it's much more than that.

^Exactly right. My fiance's parents live in Thornbrooke to the NE of that intersection, and I haven't heard much complaining about it.

It looks really nice. I like it!

I find that people tend to have less problems with these type of developments vs say 24 hour drug stores with drive throughs and bright signage. I know the CVS by my neighborhood closes at like 8, and that was part of their zoning requirements. It's a pain if I need to hit a drug store a little later (driving a whole mile further) but it's nice not to have the late night noise and light pollution.

9. Default Re: Shoppes at Cheyenne Plaza

I was mostly referring to those 12 houses right behind it. Since it was zoned commercial to even bring up a complaint means you didn't do your homework.

Well, it's D-1, which is restricted commercial. So they can have some input with the planning commission on certain aspects. Plus, it doesn't hurt the builders to be good neighbors.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    I find that people tend to have less problems with these type of developments vs say 24 hour drug stores with drive throughs and bright signage. I know the CVS by my neighborhood closes at like 8, and that was part of their zoning requirements. It's a pain if I need to hit a drug store a little later (driving a whole mile further) but it's nice not to have the late night noise and light pollution.
    There are ways to do 24-hour grocers and pharmacies without noise and light pollution becoming a problem. I wonder why this is such a big issue in Edmond.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    There are ways to do 24-hour grocers and pharmacies without noise and light pollution becoming a problem. I wonder why this is such a big issue in Edmond.
    Traffic and speakers, plus lit parking lots, within a certain footage of housing, is pretty disruptive. We have plenty of 24 hour businesses in Edmond. It's OK for sometimes they not be. Why does it have to be all or none?

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Small town mentality is my best guess. You have nimbys in almost every city and they are really bad in Beverly Hills blocking quite a few high profile projects, but in Edmond the fact that someone would choose to live in a metro of 1.4 million people within 25 miles of the core and expect peace and quiet is out of my comprehension. This will become even more true as the city grows.

I'm only back for about another month until I go back to Hollywood, but I can tell having peace and quiet is greatly appreciated now. However, I don't expect it to be what it is for much longer in North Edmond. I don't expect the city to have noise like Los Angeles, but it won't be the quiet rural bedroom community some people like to pretend it is.

I also don't really understand either how a CVS being open 24hrs would be that big of light and noise factor. Doesn't a lot of the parking lot stay lit anyways? As far as noise goes, that is part of living in a city.

Traffic and speakers, plus lit parking lots, within a certain footage of housing, is pretty disruptive. We have plenty of 24 hour businesses in Edmond. It's OK for sometimes they not be. Why does it have to be all or none?
    Yeah but doesn't the parking lot stay lit regardless?

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Not at the CVS near my neighborhood. I'd have to check elsewhere.

I do know, when I moved in my house at 33rd and Santa Fe, I could see the stars at night. Not so much anymore.

Oh. I don't know then. I thought they lit the parking lots for safety, but perhaps they just turn some of them off. I understand where you're coming from, I just don't think a CVS would put off that much noise, but I could be wrong.

Oh. I don't know then. I thought they lit the parking lots for safety, but perhaps they just turn some of them off. I understand where you're coming from, I just don't think a CVS would put off that much noise, but I could be wrong.
    It depends. But honestly, there's 2 Walgreens, and a CVS, within a mile or two of this one which are 24 hour. But they don't have houses behind them. Cars, honking, speakers on the drive through, etc, all add to noise pollution. The inconvenience of driving a mile or two is worth the trade off.

Now, when my kids are gone in a few years, I plan to move downtown. I have no unrealistic expectations there about noise and lights. But I moved into my neighborhood when 33rd was 2 lane and there was no zoned commercial right there. It got rezoned and changed my area.

From what I recall there's not much housing at the intersection, and it's already zoned commercial, so I'd be surprised to hear much. There will probably be someone with specific concerns that will be addressed (noise buffering, light pollution, etc) but I'd be shocked if it's much more than that.
    Well this is Edmond. There will always be citizens arguing against whatever is proposed. But from a nimby perspective, I dont know what glaring issue there is. I mean it is on a major intersection corner, so commercial development should be expected.

Any concerns should come from the city and utility companies. Its a pretty shallow lot for what they are wanting to do. Probably the biggest concern is the square footage and parking, whether there is too much of the former and not enough of the latter.

Developments in edmond will sometimes have to agree to have parking lot lights go off early in the night (10pm-ish) to appease neighborhoods.

Wonder what is going with this? I expected it to be at least a quarter way finished but it appears they started foundation work and stopped.

Wonder what is going with this? I expected it to be at least a quarter way finished but it appears they started foundation work and stopped.
    I passed by a few days ago and the most I saw was a sign of things to come. It doesn't appear that anything is going on with this.

They have filed for a building permit according to EEDA’s website. So this should start by the end of this year.

22. Default Re: Shoppes at Cheyenne Plaza

Drove by this the other day. Didn't get any pictures but they look close to being done. I think they have turned out pretty nice.

This place seems to have taken awhile to fill up. I think there are only one or two tenants. It is a pretty nice shopping center for the most part.

There is a ton of available retail space in Edmond right now...and more to come. Spring Creek (15th/Bryant) always, always has vacancy. Now, this project one mile south has 98% vacancy. Plus I bet they threw in a ton of money for the drainage upgrade and dirt work. I can't image the investors making money on that location for a very, very long time.

This place seems to have taken awhile to fill up. I think there are only one or two tenants. It is a pretty nice shopping center for the most part.

I suspect POAG has pulled out entirely of the Spring Creek project. It seemed like for a minute they were considering revising plans after the public vote to shut the project down, but those seemed to have stalled. I don't blame them. Now the continuing endless strip center development is marching on. Bryant Place is doing good and some of the existing shopping centers seem to be doing healthy. I can only imagine as Edmond keeps shooting down developments that are innovative and unique the real activity will remain around the core and thriving retail scene won't be in Edmond's near future. If Chisholm Creek, OAK, and various other developments around the metro come to fruition, why would retailers choose Edmond's strip malls over those? Especially when wealth is seemingly growing in OKC proper along with the more trendy developments being located there?

This is a nice strip mall. I suspect it finds tenants soon but alas, another saga in the "edmond way."

Thread Information