Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ma Der Lao Kitchen (formerly Goro)

Plaza District Ma Der Lao Kitchen (formerly Goro)

Rachel Cope and Jeff Chanchaleune are partnering to launch a new restaurant and bar in the thriving Plaza District.

Dubbed Goro Ramen + Izakaya, it will be located directly east of The Mule at 1634 NW 16th, in an apartment building currently being remodeled into commercial space. In Japan, Izakaya is an informal drinking establishment.

Cope and Chanchaleune have been partners in Project Slurp, a pop-up series of dinners around Oklahoma City. Through these meals, the pair experimented with various types of ramen, Japanese appetizers and cocktails which shaped the menu for Goro.

Chanchaleune is the former chef/co-owner of the Kaiteki Ramen food truck, and Rachel Cope is an owner at the Plaza's Empire Slice House.

The new venture will feature several types of ramen plus Japanese-inspired appetizers including various versions of steamed buns.

The pair settled on the paitan (chicken) broth as their ramen base and will add several different creative toppings.

In addition to the main dining area, there will also be a small courtyard between Goro and The Mule. The parent group for Goro, 84 Hospitality, will be taking the office space directly above.

Tentative hours will be 11AM to at least midnight, with the likelihood of late-night hours as well.

Goro will also offer a full bar with several signature cocktails. Opening will be spring of 2016.

2. Default Re: Goro

Oh man. I am excited now.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Goro

Just when you think there is simply no more room for stuff in the plaza, they go and throw something else in...

Maybe their operating hours won't be quite as strange as Tamashii.

This is cool. Is this new construction?

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    This is cool. Is this new construction?
    No it's a renovation of the existing small apartment building east of the Mule. It's in the article at the top. Glad to see more growth for the plaza.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    No it's a renovation of the existing small apartment building east of the Mule. It's in the article at the top. Glad to see more growth for the plaza.
    Thanks. Don't know how I missed that.

I really really really hope Plaza people are having major brainstorming sessions on how to seamlessly connect with Classen. I want the Plaza's upward trajectory to continue well into the 2020s.

Plus they already have a Mascot.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Goro.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	11876

Quote Originally Posted by Mel View Post
    Plus they already have a Mascot.

Name:	Goro.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	11876
    Beat me to it.

Any update on this place? I hope it is better than Tamashii, which was a huge disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by jbkrems View Post
    Any update on this place? I hope it is better than Tamashii, which was a huge disappointment.
    I personally think it will be. Not a fan of Tamashii either. Only had Kaiteki a few times over a year ago, but I felt it was much better than Tamashii.

What makes Kaiteki better than Tamashii?

Moving along... Probably summer opening now due to some construction delays.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    What makes Kaiteki better than Tamashii?
    Keep in mind that I've only been to Tamashii once. But, IMO, the broth wasn't nearly as flavorful and the noodles weren't that great. With ramen, you're supposed to get a sort of chewy noodle. Didn't get that here. To be fair, I can't recall the texture of Kaiteki, as it has been quite a long time since I've had it. But their broth was certainly better. The 3-4 times I had Kaiteki, I was always pleased with the flavor.

Another knock I have on Tamashii is their gyoza and takoyaki. Gyoza tasted old actually, like it was cooked way earlier in the day and reheated. Outside wrap was super dry and hard. And takoyaki wasn't even close to what it's supposed to taste like. I will give them props for attempting it, however. Don't think there's a single other place in town that offers it. My visit was still in the early days, so maybe they have improved.

Where is Kaiteki?

Where is Kaiteki?
    It was a food truck.

Quote Originally Posted by soonermike81 View Post
    Keep in mind that I've only been to Tamashii once. But, IMO, the broth wasn't nearly as flavorful and the noodles weren't that great. With ramen, you're supposed to get a sort of chewy noodle. Didn't get that here. To be fair, I can't recall the texture of Kaiteki, as it has been quite a long time since I've had it. But their broth was certainly better. The 3-4 times I had Kaiteki, I was always pleased with the flavor.

Another knock I have on Tamashii is their gyoza and takoyaki. Gyoza tasted old actually, like it was cooked way earlier in the day and reheated. Outside wrap was super dry and hard. And takoyaki wasn't even close to what it's supposed to taste like. I will give them props for attempting it, however. Don't think there's a single other place in town that offers it. My visit was still in the early days, so maybe they have improved.
    Thx, we've been to Tamashii twice and liked it both times (both times within the past few months), thought the noodles were quite chewy, but we also had a soft-boiled egg in the broth, which made it really nice and rich. Never tried their gyoza or takoyaki, though, just the fried chicken (which was just average), but if I had gotten that kind of gyoza, I'd probably send it back, that's just wrong...

We'll definitely try Goro (about 6 months after the opening), though.

2Lanez Guest

I was much more impressed with Tamashii on my most recent visit (a month or two ago) than I was on my first 2 or 3 visits. Ramen was really excellent the last time I went.

One complaint about Tamashii that hopefully Goro addresses, you totally reek of ramen when you leave. Not sure if that's because of the building size, the interior temperature (tends to be hot) ventalation issues or something else. But damn.

19. Default Re: Goro

A few photos from their Instagram feed:

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	146 
Size:	373.6 KB 
ID:	12252 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	102 
Size:	383.7 KB 
ID:	12253 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	101 
Size:	274.8 KB 
ID:	12254

From yesterday... Were some construction delays with the overall building, as it's being converted from apartments.

The bottom floor will be mostly Goro with The Mule taking some space at the back to expand their kitchen

Above will be offices. 84 Hospitality -- the parent company of Goro, Empire and Revolucion -- will be taking the northern half of the top floor.

Patio looks rough but will be cool when the fence is removed and the telephone pole and a/c units relocated. Also may add a small patio along 16th, ala Empire & The Mule.

They are hoping to be open by June; should be really cool.

Moving pretty quickly now (from https://twitter.com/GoroRamen):

I've been calling for several years on this board for an authentic izakaya to enter the market. I have my reservations about a young kid from Guthrie - albeit talented kid - being able to accurately capture a real izakaya experience........but at least it's a step in the right direction.

Curious if he'll have aspara-bacon and good ol nikujaga. Easy things to prepare and something all westerners unfamiliar with Japanese food will enjoy.

We wired up the place on Monday. They are close to going into the insulation and drywall phase once their framing inspection is completed this week into next.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    It was a food truck.
    Was? Wow I didn't know they'd shut down. Actually now that I think of it, I haven't seen them out for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by no1cub17 View Post
    Was? Wow I didn't know they'd shut down. Actually now that I think of it, I haven't seen them out for a long time.
    I don't believe they shut down. I follow them on Facebook, and they said they will be posting their schedule soon.

Thread Information