Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: General Weather Discussion - December, 2015

Default General Weather Discussion - December, 2015

Live Chat @ Weather Spotlight | NWS Norman (OUN) | Storm Prediction Center | Mesonet | West TX Mesonet | NWS OUN Fire Weather | Road Conditions

Current Conditions
    [hr][/hr]
    Air Temperature Dewpoint Winds Rainfall Last 24 Hours
    [hr][/hr]
    Advisory Table NWS Norman Warning Area NWS Tulsa Warning Area
    • Tornado Warning
    • Tornado Watch
    • Severe T-Storm Warning
    • Severe T-Storm Watch
    • Blizzard Warning
    • Blizzard Watch
    • Winter Storm Warning
    • Winter Storm Watch
    • Ice Storm Warning
    • Red Flag Warning
    • Winter Weather Advisory
    • Wind Chill Advisory
    • Wind Chill Warning
    • Freezing Rain Advisory
    Other Color Meanings:
    Web-Based Watch/Warning/Advisory Map Colors - NOAA's National Weather Service
    [hr][/hr]
    Radar & Satellite for Oklahoma
    [hr][/hr]
    [hr][/hr]
    Severe Weather Outlooks & Products
    [hr][/hr]
    Day 1 (Today) Outlook Day 2 (Tomorrow) Outlook Day 3 Outlook Outlook for Days 4 through 8
    [hr][/hr]
    National Advisory Map SPC Mesoscale Discussions (MCD or MD) Regional Live Lightning Image

SPC Watches

Additional information is always available via:
    http://www.weatherspotlight.com/
    Including the side-by-side model comparisons per run time. Lightning image is © Blitzortung.org. Mesonet maps are all © of the Oklahoma Mesonet / OU Board of Regents.

Default Re: General Weather Discussion - December, 2015

Weather looks relatively quiet until around December 12.

As long as Dec 17th has good weather for the Force Awakens opening night.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    As long as Dec 17th has good weather for the Force Awakens opening night.
    I couldnt get tickets until Saturday afternoon. I dont care if there is an f5 and an ice storm blizzard...as long as movie still showing, im going.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Weather looks relatively quiet until around December 12.
    Still tracking this same storm from a week ago. It looks to be pretty powerful. Right now the track takes it through KS which would dryslot most of OK, eastern OK could be in severe storm territory.

Will keep it updated as we approach the weekend.

Dec. 12 storm last two GFS runs has the track further south.

Looking super far ahead, very stormy pattern setting up for the US. Just now coming into GFS window, but right now Christmas looks white for much of the southern plains.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Dec. 12 storm last two GFS runs has the track further south.

Looking super far ahead, very stormy pattern setting up for the US. Just now coming into GFS window, but right now Christmas looks white for much of the southern plains.
    I'll believe it when I wake up to it!

Several of the computer ensembles from a couple of different models suggest we'll see snow across Oklahoma for Christmas week. So that still hasn't changed. Here's one posted below to give you an idea on the spread and amounts.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Christmas Week Snow Probs.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	11912

Saturday is looking more interesting. Looks like severe storms will be likely across most of the state. Models can't decide where they want to fire storms, but it looks like we could have some decent dryline action. GFS fires storms in western OK, NAM is firing in eastern OK, and then later in central OK.

All severe modes will be possible, the most common threat leaning towards hail and tornados. Yes, tornados in December. This storm system shouldn't be slept on, it is very strong.

Watch may be coming.

Severe threat lower due to no sunshine today, also storms and showers ahead of dryline are stabilizing atmosphere.

11. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - December, 2015

There have been tornado warnings around the Houston area.

been hearing rumbles of thunder and seeing flashes of lightning

So according to the mainstream forecasts it looks like temperatures are going to dip this week before getting back to spring-like weather for Christmas week? Any bets on a cold front actually moving in for Christmas? Seems like any hope for a white christmas is quickly fading.

Cold temps for a while. We will begin to moderate this coming weekend.

GFS still shows Christmas winter storm.

Well it looks like Ventures web site is no more. Weather spotlight has been down for several days now. I would like to know from those here who would be interested in starting up a new website with the twitter feeds like Venture had on his site as well as a chat room for weather. Do we have any members with knowledge on designing a website who would be willing to take this on?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby821 View Post
    Well it looks like Ventures web site is no more. Weather spotlight has been down for several days now. I would like to know from those here who would be interested in starting up a new website with the twitter feeds like Venture had on his site as well as a chat room for weather. Do we have any members with knowledge on designing a website who would be willing to take this on?

Yeah, the site is completely gone now.

Man, that's a shame. He did an awesome job trying to put all that together, but I suspect weather coverage in that part of the country just doesn't generate the interest level it does down here in Oklahoma. He had very loosely broached some questions about web/app development with me many many moons ago, suggesting he might be interested in an extra pair of eyes on some things, but that never went anywhere.

Anyone maintain any contact with him? Would love to know if perhaps he has other plans or if things have just taken a different direction for him. He did such a great job here....

As a dev myself, I can only begin to tell ya how much back-end time was implied in all the things he did here and on his own site. Juggling chatroom providers, writing code, updating feeds, testing, deploying, and doing it all as a one-man-band on top of full-time job concerns isn't easy. Coupling that with Venture's meteorological expertise and you realize what an asset he was here!

I might be willing to at least explore the idea of a basic setup, but I wouldn't at all be able to impart Venture's meteorological knowledge. I can generally read a GFS and recognize an inflow notch on a springtime radar, but that's a long, long way from what Ven did (and Anon continues to do) here...

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Yeah, the site is completely gone now.

Man, that's a shame. He did an awesome job trying to put all that together, but I suspect weather coverage in that part of the country just doesn't generate the interest level it does down here in Oklahoma. He had very loosely broached some questions about web/app development with me many many moons ago, suggesting he might be interested in an extra pair of eyes on some things, but that never went anywhere.

Anyone maintain any contact with him? Would love to know if perhaps he has other plans or if things have just taken a different direction for him. He did such a great job here....

As a dev myself, I can only begin to tell ya how much back-end time was implied in all the things he did here and on his own site. Juggling chatroom providers, writing code, updating feeds, testing, deploying, and doing it all as a one-man-band on top of full-time job concerns isn't easy. Coupling that with Venture's meteorological expertise and you realize what an asset he was here!

I might be willing to at least explore the idea of a basic setup, but I wouldn't at all be able to impart Venture's meteorological knowledge. I can generally read a GFS and recognize an inflow notch on a springtime radar, but that's a long, long way from what Ven did (and Anon continues to do) here...
    I'm Facebook friends with him. I can ask him what his thoughts are on it or if he's lost interest in maintaining it if you'd like.

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post
    I'm Facebook friends with him. I can ask him what his thoughts are on it or if he's lost interest in maintaining it if you'd like.
    I think just as a matter of curiosity his friends here back in OK would like to know how he's doing and what's going on with him in general - hope there weren't adverse external factors that forced him to stop the site. It looks like he was looking for some type of external support or crowdfunding back in May, but it looks to me now as though he's discontinued the effort entirely. The WeatherSpotlight Facebook page he had going has been taken down and the Twitter account is gone as well.

I'm going to guess that the time requirement was just too great to maintain the kind of quality he wanted to maintain versus the interest level and, perhaps, income it might have generated/expenses it required.

I tried to get him to send me the format for at least all the stuff @ the top of the topics. I cannot recreate it, because it needs to be that forum BBCode or whatever.

On to the forecast.

We should still get pretty cold (normal temps) tomorrow into Saturday. Morning lows will be deep into the 20s.

In regards to precip. - GFS is accelerating the Christmas week storm and blasts it off to the northeast, with little impact. However, a deep southern low is being shown developing in its wake and hits OK with heavy snow around the 27th. GFS has been consistent with the Christmas storm until about last night, so we will see what the trend is. We should have a decent understanding this weekend, when we thoroughly reach NAM window.

I would be willing to help out with a site in any way possible, I do not have web development skills. But I do think we should have something in place before we get into the spring severe weather season for sure. I am not opposed to us trying out some of the free websites and free chat rooms to use for this to help with costs, Channel 5's chat room they put up is a joke and a zoo usually and not worth much for breaking weather info.

I need to correct some wrong information I posted earlier. Venture's WeatherSpotlight page on Facebook is still present, but hasn't had any activity or posts on it in nearly a month. I obviously followed a bad/incorrect link earlier when I said it was gone. My apologies for any misinformation - surely not intentional.

Any prospect of snow around the 25-27th is intriguing to me...just no repeats of The Christmas Eve Blizzard...

I need to correct some wrong information I posted earlier. Venture's WeatherSpotlight page on Facebook is still present, but hasn't had any activity or posts on it in nearly a month. I obviously followed a bad/incorrect link earlier when I said it was gone. My apologies for any misinformation - surely not intentional.

Any prospect of snow around the 25-27th is intriguing to me...just no repeats of The Christmas Eve Blizzard...
    How about having an after Christmas Blizzard? Count me in for that

I'm maintaining two web sites (my own, and that of the Classen High School Alumni Association) myself and can verify this assertion. I'll be happy to provide any behind-the-scenes assistance -- today's "configuration management systems" (CMSs) make the task much simpler than it was 20 years ago. Most of the really hard stuff can be handled via plug-ins for whatever CMS is chosen. I'm using WordPress myself, which doesn't cost a dime so the expense would simply be that for the hosting space and domain registration. However I can't committ to daily site maintenace. That needs someone with even more free time and energy!

Great news everyone - Venture's site is back up. Dropped him a PM here just in case he might visit once in a while, and he already replied - it was just an administrative oversight on his site being down. Thought I'd relay Looks like things are going great for him.

Great news! He is a good dude and that site has been indispensable to me and my family the last few years.

Thread Information