Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Bury the power lines

Blog Entries

Default Re: Bury the power lines

I watched the live feed. They actually did talk about starting with burying distribution. But really not much was accomplished in today's meeting. They gave themselves a B rating for storm response and mostly talked about how good they were in response to councilor questions. They mentioned another meeting forthcoming where it sounded like more meat could be covered, hopefully someone can report on that meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    OG&E talked about burying lines today with the City Council. You can read it here: https://twitter.com/OKC_SPAN/status/...213264899?s=20
    Soooooo glad Cooper's my councillor (for multiple reasons) and not that complete a**hat and ignorant fool Greiner.

I think the best bang for the buck would be investing in homeowners to bury the lines from their meter to the main power network. Those small individual jobs add a ton of man-hours for little overall benefit. for example, if it takes a 2 man crew an hour per house, they may only restore service to several homes in a day. Where if those lines are buried but the distribution line on that street has been compromised, that 2 man crew may spend 16 man-hours to restore service to an entire street instead of 10 houses.

That is where the all or nothing estimates are not taking into account. Every line that is buried is one less line for a worker to potential service during an ice storm or high wind event. That frees them up to work in another area. A $200 million investment would likely not even scratch the surface on the entire grid, but it is still fewer potential outages which will directly improve response times in other areas. It's about reducing the footprint required by a finite number of crews. Even a focused approach on one area would allow other areas to receive a more concentrated number of line workers, which would be more efficient and also likely lead to faster service restoration times.

Throw all the OGE exec's in the trench when y'all get around to burying them power lines!

As someone who has built 1000s of miles of power-line this thread is painful

I'm not trying to be smart-aleck, but it seems to me that since OGE is a ratepayer funded company and it's infrastructure is approved and controlled by the elected Oklahoma Corporation Commission then we should be able to get the lines buried. If enough people demand it and also show the true cost associated, wouldn't the Corporation Commission A. study it and then B. direct it's implementation?

Quote Originally Posted by Bits_Of_Real_Panther View Post
    Throw all the OGE exec's in the trench when y'all get around to burying them power lines!
    https://www1.salary.com/OGE-ENERGY-C...-Salaries.html

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    What is unique to Oklahoma City that hundreds of other cities don't have?

What is wrong with a phased approach, or a targeted investment in areas that have consistent power outages?

the nearest power line to my house is a half mile away. my neighborhood (built in 1970) has all underground utilities. so do most in my city. why should Oklahomans still be living in 1960's power standards? i have never once worried about losing power. it doesn't even cross my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    What is unique to Oklahoma City that hundreds of other cities don't have?

What is wrong with a phased approach, or a targeted investment in areas that have consistent power outages?

the nearest power line to my house is a half mile away. my neighborhood (built in 1970) has all underground utilities. so do most in my city. why should Oklahomans still be living in 1960's power standards? i have never once worried about losing power. it doesn't even cross my mind.
    i am on OEC and never even had power flickers during this last ice storm.

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    I'm at NW 36th/May, lost power for a week because of the ice storm, power flickered dozens of time and lost power for 5-6 hours during the windy day a week or so ago, power flickered a bunch of times last night. Pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    I'm at NW 36th/May, lost power for a week because of the ice storm, power flickered dozens of time and lost power for 5-6 hours during the windy day a week or so ago, power flickered a bunch of times last night. Pathetic.
    yep. no issues through any of those. so my house became the defacto place for all of my friends and their families to come warm up and take showers.

I live between 12th and 24th E. with OG&E power and lost power for 40 minutes total. My daughter out on 72nd lost her power for 2 1/2 days with OEC.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    I live between 12th and 24th E. with OG&E power and lost power for 40 minutes total. My daughter out on 72nd lost her power for 2 1/2 days with OEC.
    i'm across 35, near the hospital. and i can't remember the last time we lost power. been here for 10 years

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    I was 15 days for the ice storm, flickered during the cold front last week, and went out for another 3.5 hours during the thundershowers yesterday morning. This is all standard Oklahoma weather and by no means severe (sans the ice storm). The grid is frayed and no one seems to have a good answer about why 30 mph winds knock out the power now.

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post
    I was 15 days for the ice storm, flickered during the cold front last week, and went out for another 3.5 hours during the thundershowers yesterday morning. This is all standard Oklahoma weather and by no means severe (sans the ice storm). The grid is frayed and no one seems to have a good answer about why 30 mph winds knock out the power now.
    Yeah, that's what's ticking me off - OK has been windy and had ice storms for hundreds, if not thousands, of years, and now, 20 years into the *21st* century, they can't keep the power on...

So how would you rate OG&E's response to the ice storm on an A-F scale? And how would you fix the problems with their grid going out so often?

17. Default Re: Bury the power lines

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    I'm also between those two streets, but we were without power for about 12 hours. However, our entire neighborhood has buried lines, which means the culprit must have been a higher-level distribution line that feeds multiple neighborhoods. Those should be buried.

If a few people's lines go down, that sucks, but we shouldn't necessarily fret over it and spend public money on fixing that. But if a backbone line that feeds power to multiple neighborhoods is vulnerable, that needs to be addressed.

18. Default Re: Bury the power lines

i'm across 35, near the hospital. and i can't remember the last time we lost power. been here for 10 years
    Are your lines above or below ground?

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Are your lines above or below ground?
    Below

20. Default Re: Bury the power lines

Quote Originally Posted by Scott5114 View Post
    I'm also between those two streets, but we were without power for about 12 hours. However, our entire neighborhood has buried lines, which means the culprit must have been a higher-level distribution line that feeds multiple neighborhoods. Those should be buried.

If a few people's lines go down, that sucks, but we shouldn't necessarily fret over it and spend public money on fixing that. But if a backbone line that feeds power to multiple neighborhoods is vulnerable, that needs to be addressed.
    The flaw with this is if those individuals lines are down but the main circuit stays on you probably have live lines laying on the ground. Distribution lines would need to be buried before transmission lines. But the more distribution lines that wouldn't need repairs the faster transmission lines could be repaired.

I would prefer the opinion of someone who has built 1000s of miles of lines below ground to respond to this.

You so far like the others who have spoken against burying the lines haven’t answered perfectly valid questions asked here.

22. Default Re: Bury the power lines

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I would prefer the opinion of someone who has built 1000s of miles of lines below ground to respond to this.

You so far like the others who have spoken against burying the lines haven’t answered perfectly valid questions asked here.
    You're not going to find that person here because it hasn't been done here. You could actually research places that have buried lines in existing city areas and contact govt and utilities officials there and get financial, timeline and whatever other data to show how they did it. I'm not against burying lines. I don't like having my power go out anymore than anyone else. I just don't think many people have even a small grasp of the magnitude of the work even doing it in phases.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    You're not going to find that person here because it hasn't been done here. You could actually research places that have buried lines in existing city areas and contact govt and utilities officials there and get financial, timeline and whatever other data to show how they did it. I'm not against burying lines. I don't like having my power go out anymore than anyone else. I just don't think many people have even a small grasp of the magnitude of the work even doing it in phases.
    Give it up. I’m not going to debate with you again. You run in circles and never address my points nor do you address many other perfectly valid points made here.

24. Default Re: Bury the power lines

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Give it up. I’m not going to debate with you again. You run in circles and never address my points nor do you address many other perfectly valid points made here.
    Nobody answers your questions to your satisfaction. That's why if you really want answers you need to go where people might be that can answer them. This is a very straightforward and valid suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    Also, an actual lineman probably doesn't know much at all about the real cost to install anything. Paying the bills would be someone else's job.

Thread Information