Widgets Magazine

Thread: The Best Main Streets In Oklahoma

Default The Best Main Streets In Oklahoma

Default Re: The Best Main Streets In Oklahoma

Nice list. We've been down every one of them. Don't drive around as much as we use to though.

El Reno was really cool. Visited a week ago and was blown away tons of potential!!!

Sort of disappointed Edmond wasn't on that list. It's still got some improving to go, but the plans that are in place, and the culture and events that are held there at this point, in addition to the farmer's market, and the new and renovated buildings and artwork has really made Edmond's main street (Broadway from 2nd to Ayers) pretty nice, IMO. There's still some infill to be done, but it seems to be coming along nicely.

But I agree with pretty much every one on the list, and I've visited most of them.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Sort of disappointed Edmond wasn't on that list. It's still got some improving to go, but the plans that are in place, and the culture and events that are held there at this point, in addition to the farmer's market, and the new and renovated buildings and artwork has really made Edmond's main street (Broadway from 2nd to Ayers) pretty nice, IMO. There's still some infill to be done, but it seems to be coming along nicely.

But I agree with pretty much every one on the list, and I've visited most of them.
    I don't think Edmond's downtown is super special right now although I believe Edmond's downtown is going to experience massive growth in the coming years and I believe Edmond will have one of the best urban districts in the state if it plays its cards right.

Stillwater should be higher. Maybe third after Guthrie and Norman.

Tishomingo #1? I didn't even bother with the rest of the list after that.

8. Default Re: The Best Main Streets In Oklahoma

Most of those are current or former members of the Oklahoma Main Street Program. It's a huge difference-maker.

I love this list. I grew up in Tulsa and lived in Norman-OKC for almost my entire life. I was also familiar with Stillwater, Tahlequah, and Edmond. I definitely have a city bias in that I just assume small towns don't have quality building stock with vibrant businesses. I'm always surprised when I do come across these little main streets. I should know better, I know. Anyway, I would like to make more visits to these small main streets, but I just never know which towns have vibrant districts with unique, local shops that would be worth visiting. What specific shops, restaurants, and bars are worth visiting from the towns on that list? Suggestions?

Also, I've always wondered how common it is for dense housing stock to be built near these small town main streets because it doesn't seem like it really happens at all. Do the real estate prices and demand just not merit the new construction of such projects? Or is it just a process of first renovating all the available second floor space first?

Quote Originally Posted by rte66man View Post
    Why? Is downtown Tishomingo quite a sorry looking dump? I've never been there.

I always loved Perry's downtown... it's not really a main street, but a main block...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/El...ef4a90421f454f

Everything was build around that central park, which contains the library and county court house. My grandmother lived on Cedar street (as did my great uncle, great grandmother, great grandfather, grandfather, and a few other.... we had like the whole block) so we'd be able to easily walk to the center square, and shop and hang out. Always were cool shops when I was a kid, including a very classic style drug store... could even get a malt with an egg in it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    El Reno was really cool. Visited a week ago and was blown away tons of potential!!!
    El Reno in general is sorta having a little boom- despite the downturn in the O/G economy there has been a lot of concentration and consolidation of service companies and related business there which maybe in the past had tended to be further west (say Elk City). The Stack and Scoop plays for example make it a good central location. And the investment there by Halliburton has been pretty big. Long term it has some potential that maybe hasn't historically been there.

Quote Originally Posted by rte66man View Post
    Tish has a small but very nice downtown, although I do wonder how long the Pink Pistol will be around since Miranda dumped Blake.

I would definitely put both Enid and Bartlesville higher though. I think both make very good day/weekend trips for OKCers.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Most of those are current or former members of the Oklahoma Main Street Program. It's a huge difference-maker.
    This. Stillwater and any other "decently-successful" towns need to stop ***** footing around and invest in organizational capacity. It will take these communities to the next level.

15. Default Re: The Best Main Streets In Oklahoma

^^^^^
    Part of the problem in a lot of towns (which Stillwater has dealt with) is related to the town also having a strong Chamber of Commerce and/or CVB who feels threatened by the existence of a Main Street Program. There can be a lot of crossover, duplication of effort and territorial fundraising squabbles unless they carefully coordinate their efforts.

Each of these agencies is usually tasked with promotion/marketing, for instance. And Main Street Programs take on an economic restructuring role, which can cause a COC to feel threatened.

But neither of the other types of agencies is focused on the built environment or HP, and sometimes the historic fabric of these cities/towns is the best asset the possess. In many cases the best thing that can happen is if the COC/CVB realizes this and SPONSORS the creation of a MSP.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Why? Is downtown Tishomingo quite a sorry looking dump? I've never been there.
    The rating seems to be based solely on the fact that Miranda Lambert built her boutique there. IMO there are many downtowns in cities of similar size that are way better.

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    Tish has a small but very nice downtown, although I do wonder how long the Pink Pistol will be around since Miranda dumped Blake.

I would definitely put both Enid and Bartlesville higher though. I think both make very good day/weekend trips for OKCers.
    I agree (although I am biased to Bartlesville). Enid's town square area is very pleasant and the additions of the ballpark and arena make the area all that much more visited. Enid is really moving in a positive direction.

Bartlesville now has a Boutique district with about a dozen high quality shops open now. And with the renovation of a major building, 2nd Street may become a new area of downtown that will draw visitors as well. Hopefully all the turmoil in the energy industry will not put a damper on all the positive growth.

Several of the towns mentioned are kind of sad and tired looking in my opinion.

18. Default Re: The Best Main Streets In Oklahoma

Enid is one of the most successful Main Street Program towns in state history. Often held up as a model to other towns.

19. Default Re: The Best Main Streets In Oklahoma

Well I know that 12 years ago Ardmore's main street was a ghost town and today it can be difficult to find parking down there some days.

I definitely recommend going downtown to dine if you are passing through... Nothing against Two Frogs, which is an Ardmore institution, but the rest of the chains along I-35 aren't worth stopping at when there are some incredible places downtown..... Casa Romo for Tex-Mex, Edamame for sushi, Ten Star for pizza, Cafe Alley for steaks and burgers, Red Dirt Brewery for brats and beer.... Can't go wrong going downtown to dine.

Really, Bartlesville and possibly Enid shouldn't be compared to the rest of the list. These two more than the rest have downtowns that are actually business districts, where large numbers of workers go every day, whereas the main streets for the remaining cities on this list act as centers of trade or entertainment. Nothing wrong with either, just very difficult to compare the two.

visit.jpg

CityofEnid1.jpg

Thread Information