Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Local spicy food

1. Default Re: Local spicy food

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    .... both were interesting and very good, and surprisingly not as hot as I expected (was expecting painful hot).
    Yeah... It's more of a good slow burn but not too intense... Using it like I have on the hotwings really makes the lips tingle.

Default Re: Local spicy food

I need to get by Savory Spice Shop.

I remember writing about them when they were preparing to open and thinking I'd find a lot to like in there.

3. Default Re: Local spicy food

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

I remember writing about them when they were preparing to open and thinking I'd find a lot to like in there.
    I have to limit my time there... It's very damaging to my bank account. ;+)

While not local, I did write in the Pei Wei thread that they have this pretty great garlic chili sauce in little jars with serving spoons and I almost emptied one on my 'spicy' chicken dish and white rice.

The entre had virtually not heat at all but that sauce had a nice kick with a really good flavor.

If it wasn't for that condiment, I doubt I'd go back.

if you enjoy cooking, then yes x 1000. it's a really great place.

While not local, I did write in the Pei Wei thread that they have this pretty great garlic chili sauce in little jars with serving spoons and I almost emptied one my 'spicy' chicken dish and white rice.

The entre had virtually not heat at all but that sauce had a nice kick with a really good flavor.

I have never liked Pei Wei in any of the cities that I've tried them in. Everything they serve seems lacking in flavor for my taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    if you enjoy cooking, then yes x 1000. it's a really great place.
    Savory and Olive & Co. for olive oils and balsalmic vinegar are two places definitely worth stopping in. Problem with Savory is you want to try everything in the store.

8. Default Re: Local spicy food

And spiciness just for spiciness sake does nothing for me either.
    This perfectly sums up where I stand on spicy food. I love a good, spicy dish, but I don't like heat for heat's sake.

My wife and I are also regulars at Savory Spice Shop. Once, about a year ago, I got to taste their ghost pepper salt. Abel, the owner, poured about 3 grains into my hand. I tasted it, and at first, it nearly blew my teeth out. But, once the heat subsided, it had a really good flavor. My wife uses it liberally when she makes chili.

Taramujara offers an avacado based spicy dip for chips.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    Have you ever tried the 911 Sauce at Mr Sprigg's in Midwest City? I don't think it will disappoint you on the heat level.

The Flying Pig BBQ is also making a really good ghost pepper BBQ sauce. It's not over the top heat and the sweetness of the sauce tempers the heat of the pepper but it's a really tasty sauce.

https://www.facebook.com/22558890082...type=3&theater
    Mr Spriggs 911 sauce is painful.

While not local, I did write in the Pei Wei thread that they have this pretty great garlic chili sauce in little jars with serving spoons and I almost emptied one on my 'spicy' chicken dish and white rice.

I'm almost certain that's Huy Fong chili garlic sauce that you can pick up at most grocery stores. I eat that stuff on everything and buy it in bulk from Amazon.

It's similar but not quite the same.

Sriracha sauce will even make a McDonalds cheeseburger taste better.

Leo's hot sauce has a pretty good slow burn to it, I don't think it's as hot as it once was when Leo himself was alive, or Maybe I have become immune to it ...

Some ramblings from my life with heat. At one time, Leo's hot was extremely hot, I mixed it with mild and it was excellent. Second, I don't want to scare anyone away from Szechuan Bistro because if you don't ask, they don't apply any heat, but ask and ye shall receive. Third, the atomic wings at Wing Stop have a really nice bite to them. I buy half atomic and half Cajun, I eat one atomic and wash it down with a Cajun. I love the Caso Pericos habenero salsa. At home, I use about a half pound of habaneros and lots of jalapeños every week, and I have really gotten into the birds eye (Thai) peppers as well. As for Mr. Spriggs 911 sauce, it's ok, I wasn't impressed. I don't do pain, but good heat is good.
    C. T.

Really enjoying this discussion.

It should be mentioned that chili peppers -- the base for virtually everything spicy -- are very nutritious and low in calories.

The Blazin wings at Bdubs are sick hot. I ate six of them on a bet and regretted it greatly.

18. Default Re: Local spicy food

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
    The Blazin wings at Bdubs are sick hot. I ate six of them on a bet and regretted it greatly.

I can eat Buffalo Wild Wings like M&Ms, they just don't compare to Wing Stop's Atomic.
    C. T.

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
    They aren't even good. Personal opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    I can eat Buffalo Wild Wings like M&Ms, they just don't compare to Wing Stop's Atomic.
    C. T.
    I like wing stops a lot better than Bdubs , the atomic is damn hot one or two and I'm good to go.

I was excited to learn that tulsa's wing run cafe was acquired by mazzios. But they didn't keep the recipes correct and dropped/renamed a few. Dissapointing, I feel like there's a gap in the wing market to knock one out of the park.

I can't enough good things about Manna, it's the most authentic Indian for at least a hundred miles. It's a little awkward, not great in the dining room department, water comes in the form single bottles, but the food, the FOOD! It's too spicy for most at the medium level, it tastes pretty good at the "spicy" level for me. I once asked for "desi spicy" and I couldn't eat my vindaloo, had to order the house made yogurt that comes with the biryanis to cut it with. Take friends and order family style. You can of course do takeaway, but there's certain things that are best within a few moments of pulling out of the fire. For reference: the atomic at teds doesn't register on my scale, tasty though.

The spicy ramen at tamashii is also good, and there's a little pot of chili paste on the side to get it where you want it. I have, however, seen this dish (the one called "spicy ramen") sent back the way it came asking for different food. Bad form. This might be why restaurants stop making spicy food unless upon request. They've thrown enough profit in the trash.

I don't know what it is about this town, spicy food is just hard to come by. Then there's the "spicy for spicy's sake" thing going around that a previous poster mentioned. Not much flavor going on there. I've seen places just drop a dash of capsaicin in the sauce and call it a day. When I ask for Chinese or Thai to be made extra spicy, it usually just involves a sprinkle of flavorless dried red chilies.

In the end it's best to find a place with hardly any white people in it, and ask for it made the chef likes it.

Since someone else brought up Tulsa first, I'll mention Jo mama's pizza , they've got a pizza that will blow the top off your head, we ordered one just for the novelty of it..... Two bites and I was done, lol.....

24. Default Re: Local spicy food

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    Mr Spriggs 911 sauce is painful.
    Agreed... I'm good for about 5 bites of it and then I switch back to the hot.

25. Default Re: Local spicy food

Really enjoying this discussion.

It should be mentioned that chili peppers -- the base for virtually everything spicy -- are very nutritious and low in calories.
    Yeah... According to most of the studies I have read about peppers... I should be immortal as much of them as I eat. =+)

Thread Information