Widgets Magazine

Thread: Tornado siren guidelines changing

Default Tornado siren guidelines changing

Oklahoma City tornado warning siren guidelines may change | News OK

It looks like they are finally exploring changing the guidelines for sounding tornado sirens, dividing OK county into sectors and only sounding the sirens in areas that are in danger. This is a good move being that Oklahoma County is very large and too many times the sirens sound when there is no real threat at all. A good example of this was in 2013 when the tornado touched down in east Edmond and moved out towards Arcadia. There was no reason for sirens to sound downtown for that.

Default Re: Tornado siren guidelines changing

I don't hate the idea. But there's days where I'm unplugged from the info-stream and didn't even know the weather was bad until we had a warning siren sound for OK county. It lets me know to flip the tube on and check the radar.

Quote Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
    I don't hate the idea. But there's days where I'm unplugged from the info-stream and didn't even know the weather was bad until we had a warning siren sound for OK county. It lets me know to flip the tube on and check the radar.
    There are definitely plusses and minuses to both ways. However, what tends to happen when you sound sirens for the whole country is people start to ignore the sirens. Sounding solely for threatened areas means people would have to take them seriously.

I think the rule of thumb is when you live in Oklahoma, if its April or May you need to be weather aware every day.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    There are definitely plusses and minuses to both ways. However, what tends to happen when you sound sirens for the whole country is people start to ignore the sirens. Sounding solely for threatened areas means people would have to take them seriously.

I think the rule of thumb is when you live in Oklahoma, if its April or May you need to be weather aware every day.
    Bingo.

I would urge anyone with a smartphone to download a local weather app that uses location-based services for warnings and watches. ATS Weather, 9 weather, WxAlert USA, those are all good just from personal experience.

Several people where I work have some kind of weather app. It's kinda comical when they start going off at once.

Thread Information