Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hornets- Yes or No ?

1. Default Hornets- Yes or No ?

Well, it looks as if the Hornets will play some games here. I thought since the 'other' thread has gotten so lengthy, I would post another topic.

Are you glad that the Hornets may be coming to OKC - or not?

How do you think it will affect the city?

Do you think we will be thought of as greedy or opportunistic or just fortunate that we had an available venue and were prepared to offer a temporary arena?

Finally, will you support the team and purchase tickets?

My answers:

I'll be very glad if it is all finalized, that we are able to host the New Orleans Hornets in OKC.

I think OKC has a chance to be shown in a very positive light and I think the economic benefits will be many.

I hope that we are not thought of as being 'greedy'. I think most of us just want to offer a home to the Hornets because as we all know, they certainly need a welcoming place to recuperate after what many of the players and their families have gone through.

Even though I'm not a huge sports enthusiast but I might take in a few games - the kids will love it.
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

2. Default Re: Hornets- Yes or No ?

For decades, I have been telling people Oklahoma City could support major league sports just to get resistance from the nay sayers. Those people who have a can't do attitude. Frankly, I am tired of their negitave attitude.

This is an opportunity to prove them wrong as I know they are. I truly look forward to being able to say a very loud "I told you so."

Are we greedy? No. Any business will take any opportunity it is offered to gain business. In other words, the city is just excersising caviat emptor. (Seize the day). Should this move NOT be permanant, it will be a stepping stone. Should we be successful and draw a lot of people, we will probably get the next franchise.

So. Greedy? no.Just smart business.

3. Default Re: Hornets- Yes or No ?

I believe this city is wealthier than the average person living here may think. That being said, there is probably a different demographic of sports fans who will shell out a lot of money and be regular attendees at the games and I think corporate OKC will show up in a big way as well. I see this being a very successful run for OKC.

Default Re: Hornets- Yes or No ?

Quote Originally Posted by mranderson
    In other words, the city is just excersising caviat emptor. (Seize the day).
    caveat emp·tor n. The axiom or principle in commerce that the buyer alone is responsible for assessing the quality of a purchase before buying.
    [From Latin caveat mptor, let the buyer beware : caveat, third person sing. present subjunctive of cavre, to beware + mptor, buyer.]

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
    "Seize the day" — carpe diem
    Enjoy the present and don't worry about the future, as in It's a beautiful day, so forget tomorrow's test — carpe diem! Latin for "seize the day," an aphorism found in the Roman writer Horace's Odes, this phrase has been used in English since the early 1800s.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer.

Yes very much. I think just being able to advertise our capability of hosting a major league team is a positive in and of itself. Beyond that, who knows? Only a complete lack of support would turn it into anything negative and I don't see that happening.

I also think the NBA is a good product. Better than the NHL, but without the scale of the NFL. It’s got good star power and draws from across demographics well.

Again, nothing but good, barring lack of support. I think it may highlight some of our shortcomings, i.e. luxury accommodations, upscale amenities, but I think that will be a good thing as well. It will bring to light that there is a demand for these things in OKC. It is good for us not only to show off what we can do, but it will help us realize what more can be done as well.

Do you think we will be thought of as greedy or opportunistic or just fortunate that we had an available venue and were prepared to offer a temporary arena?
    No, I honestly don't think that we would be seen as greedy, unless there were some bold political moves that stated otherwise. I understand that some want to paint this as a simple business transaction, but it really is quite different. The situation was created by a catastrophic natural disaster. This was not the result of our leaders aggressively putting together an incentive package to entice a team from another market. This is an act of assistance. That doesn't mean that we don’t derive no benefit from it. It is a symbiotic relationship. One that helps the Hornets until they can fully assess their current infrastructure and market conditions, while OKC gets to showcase its capabilities and prepare for its role as a major league host in the future.

If it was in fact the result of simple market competition, then I don't think that any aggressive moves would be frowned upon. However, since this move will be inextricably associated with a very deadly and tragic disaster, I think that many normally suitable tactics do not apply here and would in fact be inappropriate. Despite the wishes of some here, I do not think that our leaders have acted in any appropriate way and, as such, I do not think the city will be seen as greedy.

Yes. I will find a away to at least go see games with star power. I may also try and get a group of friends together to split some season tickets. I think I might have some box opportunities, but it's impossible to say without knowing how that is going to play out as far as how many will be committed to previous box lessees and how many will be available for local support to purchase.

The NBA is a busy season and it would be hard to make every game, but I will certainly try to go to more than a handful.

6. Default Re: Hornets- Yes or No ?

Quote Originally Posted by Scribe
    caveat emp·tor n. The axiom or principle in commerce that the buyer alone is responsible for assessing the quality of a purchase before buying.
    [From Latin caveat mptor, let the buyer beware : caveat, third person sing. present subjunctive of cavre, to beware + mptor, buyer.]

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition

"Seize the day" — carpe diem
    Enjoy the present and don't worry about the future, as in It's a beautiful day, so forget tomorrow's test — carpe diem! Latin for "seize the day," an aphorism found in the Roman writer Horace's Odes, this phrase has been used in English since the early 1800s.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer.
    You are correct about the term. I used the wrong term by mistake and never caught it. Carpe Diem is what I intended to use.

7. Default Re: Hornets- Yes or No ?

This is definetely good for the city. I am looking forward to seeing what happens. So far, it seems like the outside media thinks we are the best bet for the Hornets. I read an editorial from San Antonio saying as such. However I read the latest article from the Baton Rouge paper, and it seems like they are trying to paint us in a negative light.

8. Default Re: Hornets- Yes or No ?

Quote Originally Posted by Karried
    Well, it looks as if the Hornets will play some games here. I thought since the 'other' thread has gotten so lengthy, I would post another topic

Are you glad that the Hornets may be coming to OKC - or not?.
    I am. I think it's a fantastic opportunity. It'll provide for some great entertainment and memories. But personally, I see it as a moment for OKC to savor -- as a reward for gambling on MAPS, another step toward national status, and as a portal through which many people will see OKC for the first time outside of bombing images.

In terms of status, see above. In terms of the locals here, I don't know. So far I haven't seen a lot of excitement, but that may change when the deal is finalized and word spreads that it is happening for real. Otherwise, I don't see it changing life here too much. This is as much about PR as it is about entertainment. Economically, we'll see some increased spending in hotels and restaurants from people who otherwise wouldn't come. As far as local spending, some dollars will be diverted from other forms of entertainment, unless people take out the old plastic or dip into savings to pay for tickets. And I still don't think companies locate in a city because it has pro sports team. All of this rides on how long they do stay. And if the Hornets do, it will be seen as Mayor Cornett's signature accomplishment, following Humphreys' MAPS for Kids and Norick's MAPS.

I know some will think we're being opportunistic; I think so. I haven't seen that in the message boards, though. OKC led the pack; once it "offered" the Ford Center, the other cities followed. Somebody had to be the first to do it. I think there's been less sniping because the other cities know in their hearts they wanted the Hornets too, once Katrina struck. In another light, it does show that OKC is coming out of its shell and willing to play hardball to make things happen. It's an assertive image I don't mind at all.

No question about it!
    Continue the Renaissance

It seems like this is the only leadership Cornett has shown since becoming mayor. I'm glad he did it, but after saying we cannot host evacuees in our arenas -- and then jumping to get the NBA team -- it is transparently opportunistic.

Whatever. I'm glad we're getting the chance to try out the NBA, I'm just not too fired up about Mick.

10. Default Re: Hornets- Yes or No ?

He was also a big proponent of the Hotel Tax increase for the fair. I think that was a good thing. And what about the Skirvin?

gqofoklahoma Guest

Im a proud democrat and i think mick cornett has done great things for the city...i totally applaud him for the things he has done as mayor so far!

12. Post Re: Hornets- Yes or No ?

Well, it looks as if the Hornets will play some games here. I thought since the 'other' thread has gotten so lengthy, I would post another topic.

Yes

Only positive

No, but if they do - who cares, they'll get over it.

You bet!! And I live in Seattle - but will surely make a few flights down to the city, esp when Shaq and maybe Seattle SuperSonics come to town!!

My answers:

I'll be very glad if it is all finalized, that we are able to host the New Orleans Hornets in OKC.

I think OKC has a chance to be shown in a very positive light and I think the economic benefits will be many.

I hope that we are not thought of as being 'greedy'. I think most of us just want to offer a home to the Hornets because as we all know, they certainly need a welcoming place to recuperate after what many of the players and their families have gone through.

Even though I'm not a huge sports enthusiast but I might take in a few games - the kids will love it.
    One other note, this could surely be the catalyst to get some additional major downtown infrastructure we all have been talking about. Not necessarily the temporary relocation of the team itself nor even a permanent announcement. But the fact that downtown OKC WILL BE on national TV for a few games - some investor, tourist, business venture capitalist, on and on - WILL see the potential of this city and hopefully the city can capitalize on THAT!.

500 hotel rooms??? Try more like 4 times that! Tic and Tac downtown housing??? I expect the floodgates to suddenly open! Lack of retail?? Well, hopefully this can be an ACE card that the city can finally use to "convince the big retailers that we have a viable downtown that CAN support major leagues and the commerce it brings!

Like I say, This will only enable us to Continue the Renaissance!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

13. Default Re: Hornets- Yes or No ?

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru
    It seems like this is the only leadership Cornett has shown since becoming mayor. I'm glad he did it, but after saying we cannot host evacuees in our arenas -- and then jumping to get the NBA team -- it is transparently opportunistic.

Whatever. I'm glad we're getting the chance to try out the NBA, I'm just not too fired up about Mick.
    Although this is not the thread to discuss Mick Cornett, I will. He is working VERY hard to land an overdue major league franchise for the city (For those who call only major league "pro," we have had "pro" sports longer than all of us have been alive, I am referring to MAJOR league). He DID bring the Skirvin back, did pass the hotel tax, and more. He has done everything he said he wanted so far. And the most important? He is not rude like his predecessor.

Yes. I am glad we are finally being given a chance to prove the naysayers wrong. Just wait. the best is yet to come.

I agree with mranderson that Cornett is doing a fine job and is working hard to continue to make Oklahoma City a better place. Not every person agrees with 100% of things he does or doesn't do, but we also are not in his shoes having to deal with all the competing interests, roadblocks and economic or political realities that he must negotiate in the performance of his duties.

In fact, I think Oklahoma City has been blessed with three great mayors in a row!

Having said that, let's move any future comments about Cornett's job performance to a new thread and keep this thread on topic.

15. Default Re: Hornets- Yes or No ?

Here is one that REALLY chaps my hide.

Several people have expressed a nay sayer attitude about major league sports in Oklahoma City, however, when it becomes reality, those same people stand up and say "YES! It's about time." Humm. Why not just be positive from the start? Hipocritical if you ask me.

What really chaps my hide are people whose hides are so easily chapped.

17. Default Re: Hornets- Yes or No ?

Quote Originally Posted by BDP
    Again, nothing but good, barring lack of support. I think it may highlight some of our shortcomings, i.e. luxury accommodations, upscale amenities, but I think that will be a good thing as well. It will bring to light that there is a demand for these things in OKC. It is good for us not only to show off what we can do, but it will help us realize what more can be done as well.
    While I don't think it will bring any major employers here by itself, I do think it may spur some development downtown. The exposure WILL be good, and perhaps some capitalists will find the housing study on the Downtown OKC website. And if we generate good enough crowds on TV, they may bring in more diversions for Bricktown. That's part of the reason good crowds are so important; if they see lots of foot traffic downtown in person and on TV, they will be enticed to invest.
    Continue the Renaissance

Quote Originally Posted by floater
    While I don't think it will bring any major employers here by itself, I do think it may spur some development downtown. The exposure WILL be good, and perhaps some capitalists will find the housing study on the Downtown OKC website. And if we generate good enough crowds on TV, they may bring in more diversions for Bricktown. That's part of the reason good crowds are so important; if they see lots of foot traffic downtown in person and on TV, they will be enticed to invest.
    I agree. And the opposite is true as well. If the team is not sufficiently supported in attendance and community participation, it will hurt our image in a greater degree and prove in many outside people's minds that we are not a major league city.

19. Default Re: Hornets- Yes or No ?

I agree. And the opposite is true as well. If the team is not sufficiently supported in attendance and community participation, it will hurt our image in a greater degree and prove in many outside people's minds that we are not a major league city.
    Yeah. So we better step up to the plate!!! This is it, folks. It's time to show what we've got.
    Continue the Renaissance

MadMonk Guest

Well, I would say that I'm more apathetic to this than I am a naysayer. I don't really care one way or the other about getting an NBA team here. If we eventually get one, fine, yay for us. If not, well that's fine too. I'll continue to enjoy living here either way.

21. Default Re: Hornets- Yes or No ?

This is strictly to provoke your thinking.

The city of Oklahoma City is paying the relocation expenses and some related items for the relocation of the Hornets. As a business savy person, I do not see why they would go to that expense if something was not brewing long term. It makes no sense to me why they would spend all that money for a team that only had short term plans.

This is strictly to provoke your thinking.

The city of Oklahoma City is paying the relocation expenses and some related items for the relocation of the Hornets. As a business savy person, I do not see why they would go to that expense if something was not brewing long term. It makes no sense to me why they would spend all that money for a team that only had short term plans.
    Simple. It's an investment that anticipates an immediate economic impact to the community. It would be unwise to infer anything more than that.

23. Default Re: Hornets- Yes or No ?

Simple. It's an investment that anticipates an immediate economic impact to the community. It would be unwise to infer anything more than that.
    Still. For one season, it does not sound logical to invest all that money. I have a STRONG feeling something is brewing.

24. Default Re: Hornets- Yes or No ?

(OOPS, LOOKS LIKE WE WERE POSTING AT THE SAME TIME - WELL - DITTO)

It's no secret that the Hornets coming here, even temporarily, will bring huge profits to the city and bring much business to the area. Tax revenues, hotel occupancies, restaurant diners, events attendance, etc will all be increased. That is probably the reason that OKC is paying some of the expenses.
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

Still. For one season, it does not sound logical to invest all that money. I have a STRONG feeling something is brewing.
    To you, maybe not. But as a small business owner, if presented the opportunity for a decent return, I'm not afraid to make the initial investment. There is nothing that unusual with what the city is doing, even in light of a temporary move. Consider it seed money — money for an immediate economic return as well as helping present OKC in the best possible light for possible future expansion and/or relocation, as you've so often mentioned. Inferring anything more is wild speculation.

Thread Information