Widgets Magazine
Page 24 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1920212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: OPUBCO / Oklahoman Business Practices

1. Default Re: OPUBCO / Oklahoman Business Practices

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    Finally got it to load after 8AM
    Me too.

Default Re: OPUBCO / Oklahoman Business Practices

Seemed really heavy on ads today and very light on substance and hardly any local news, Several of the stories I had already read before and were just repeats

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Seemed really heavy on ads today and very light on substance and hardly any local news, Several of the stories I had already read before and were just repeats
    Years ago, and I mean the 1970's, we used to refer to The Daily Disappointment.

Actually OKC had a very good paper in the Daily Oklahoman, but we joked about the nickname The Daily Disappointment.

I'm a digital and physically printed and delivered paper, but now at this point in time, it has truly become The Daily Disappointment.

From spelling and syntax errors to yesterdays online edition with a story about something else unrelated to the attached pic of Baptist Integris Hospitals building, it's gone sloppy.

RIP Oklahoman, you're dead, you've just not yet taken your last breath.

On a similar note, in 2020, it is sad that local media sites (TV, News, Radio), with full time staffs dedicated to sharing news, video, stories, can't have functional websites. They are hard to navigate, filled with click bait stories masked to look like local news, riddled with ads, stacked with unnecessary alerts, etc. This is not unique to local news companies, but nearly an industry as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    GateHouse Media appears to be about the only group consolidating newspapers and providing some kinda evidence of profitability to investors. They “merged” with Gannett last year and kept the name, probably because it was the most valuable asset of the merged company.

Today’s paper is what I think is the first effort of the new Gannett to blend their USA Today platform with the local daily paper. Around the country, local papers are printed with a national USA Today story on the bottom of the page and a local paper story on the top. Both stories following a subject pattern.

Sunday papers have, for the last decade or so, been feature stories based. The content is pretty much set by Thursday, with a page of open space for national breaking news. Local and international news require less than a full page each for breaking news.
    The sports section is the only part that requires more weekend attention.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    On a similar note, in 2020, it is sad that local media sites (TV, News, Radio), with full time staffs dedicated to sharing news, video, stories, can't have functional websites. They are hard to navigate, filled with click bait stories masked to look like local news, riddled with ads, stacked with unnecessary alerts, etc. This is not unique to local news companies, but nearly an industry as a whole.
    This. The Oklahoman's website is atrocious to visit between the pop ups and video ads. Just terrible.

Earlier this month our neighbor called our carrier to make a vacation stop. She said she wasn't our carrier any more and didn't know who replaced her. Over the next few days our delivery was erratic. No paper. Two papers. Neighbor gets one and we don't....It seems to have settled down now but despite calls and messages to several people, we still don't know who our carrier is. Today we learned that the Oklahoman recently restructured the whole delivery route system.

Here, Richard Mize not only plagarizes a press release without attribution, he puts a couple of lines in quotes as if he spoke to the developers, when they weren't quotes at all; just lines directly from the press release. And then he adds "the developers said" when they didn't 'say' anything -- it was the PR firm that wrote the release.

Good grief this is so incredibly unethical.

https://oklahoman.com/article/566548...n-midwest-city

"Everything from the building facade and signage will reflect this theme," the developers said. "The nature of the building design will create a cool atmosphere for shoppers and tenants alike making Center Marketplace THE place to be in Midwest City."

Press release:

Accelerated Development Services Breaks Ground on New Retail Project
    In Midwest City, Oklahoma

Midwest City, OK. June 30, 2020. Accelerated Development Services in partnership with California Gold Development Corp. will hold an official Groundbreaking Ceremony for Center Marketplace, located at the southeast corner of 15th Street and Warren Drive in Midwest City Oklahoma. It will be held at 9:00 am on June 30th on the site. The event is expected to have representatives from Midwest City in attendance to turn the first shovels to kick off the construction for the project.

When complete, Center Marketplace will have a 14,000+/- square foot multi-tenant shops building as well as a separate out-parcel building fronting 15th Street. There are currently four retail tenants signed in the project with just a few spaces remaining.

“This development opportunity was brought to us by our Oklahoma broker partner, Dean Ingram with Sooner Investment Real Estate,” said Trey Eakin, Executive Vice President of Accelerated Development Services. “Dean was instrumental in finding Pearle Vision, Nashbird, The Baked Bear, and Smoothie King as our first signed tenants in the project. We continue to have significant tenant interest and expect to have more new tenant announcements in the near future,” he added.

Center Marketplace is an upscale retail project designed in a 1960’s retro midcentury modern motif. Everything from the building façade and signage will reflect this theme. The nature of the building design will create a cool atmosphere for shoppers and tenants alike making Center Marketplace THE place to be in Midwest City.

The new project has superior positioning at the regional intersection where the 400,000 square foot Sooner Town Center which includes multiple national retail tenants such as Warren Theatre, Hobby Lobby, Academy Sports, and Burlington to name a few. Rose State College and Tinker Air Force Base are all within the immediate trade area. Additionally, an established population and strong daytime employment make Center Marketplace an extremely desirable location for many retailers wishing to expand in the Midwest City area.

Also, that Mize article has a quote from a broker at Price Edwards.

The Oklahoman features them relentlessly... A Google site search shows they have referenced Price Edwards 1,480 (!!) times.

The have also run many 'stories' about properties Price Edwards has put up for sale or lease, which is absolutely not news at all as at any time there are literally thousands of commercial properties available in the OKC area.

Does the Oklahoman handle the weekly Buyer's Guide? If so I wonder if their delivery woes extend to that as well. Some weeks we don't get it as others around us do, it is very erratic.
    Last edited by PaddyShack; 06-29-2020 at 07:56 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by cindycat View Post
    Earlier this month our neighbor called our carrier to make a vacation stop. She said she wasn't our carrier any more and didn't know who replaced her. Over the next few days our delivery was erratic. No paper. Two papers. Neighbor gets one and we don't....It seems to have settled down now but despite calls and messages to several people, we still don't know who our carrier is. Today we learned that the Oklahoman recently restructured the whole delivery route system.
    Just to continue my whining...We also subscribe to USA Today. Yesterday we got it and a business/investment paper. Today we got USA Today. Period. The recorded message says to call back if we haven't received the replacement copy in two hours. My timer is set....

Just to continue my whining...We also subscribe to USA Today. Yesterday we got it and a business/investment paper. Today we got USA Today. Period. The recorded message says to call back if we haven't received the replacement copy in two hours. My timer is set....
    Updating my whine again. Last week I sent an email to the Circulation Director of Distribution. The next day we got a call from the Choctaw area District Manager. Nice guy. We remember him from another time when we had a new carrier. He agreed that it's taking some time to get the new routes worked out. He gave me the name of our new carriers and asked them to give their contact info to customers on their new route. So far it's going well, except that they need to learn to tie knots in the bags, so we won't get a wet paper like Saturday morning.

Updating my whine again. Last week I sent an email to the Circulation Director of Distribution. The next day we got a call from the Choctaw area District Manager. Nice guy. We remember him from another time when we had a new carrier. He agreed that it's taking some time to get the new routes worked out. He gave me the name of our new carriers and asked them to give their contact info to customers on their new route. So far it's going well, except that they need to learn to tie knots in the bags, so we won't get a wet paper like Saturday morning.
    Maybe it's worth switching to just a digital copy at this point?

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Hausfrau View Post
    Maybe it's worth switching to just a digital copy at this point?
    I finally dropped print within the last 6 months. I had been reading the print replica on my iPad for a few years, and took the print copy to the office as a "lobby copy". The cold, hard truth is that they just don't care enough about print subscribers to provide timely service. The business has changed to where print is seen as costly and inefficient. They don't want to run off the die hard, print only subscribers, they just want to wear them down to where they will change over to electronic.

^

They still get a huge percentage of their revenue from print advertising, which is why they can't stop printing hard copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

They still get a huge percentage of their revenue from print advertising, which is why they can't stop printing hard copy.
    Do they possibly make most of revenue from that weekly ad flyer that goes in mail? I think they send it (and to every mailbox in city) so maybe its where most ad revenue comes from? I wish they would stop sending, goes straight in trash.

Nm

^

I think we are within 5 years of daily print newspapers being gone. The current daily home delivery holdouts are mostly over age 65, and mortality and forced adaptation will push them past the tipping point of revenue versus cost. And that isn't a bad thing, IMO.

The news business is much more rapid than print can support. I noticed the Oklahoman had zero election results last Wednesday morning, which tells me the newsroom is pretty much done by 6 or 7 PM nowadays. I thought the majority of all editions from Friday, July 3rd through Monday, July 6th had been put together by Thursday, July 2nd. 1 page of local and state, 1 page of national, 1 page of world, 2 pages of sports and 1 page of business might have been time sensitive.

^

If print goes away, likely the entire operation with fail.

They do not make enough in on-line revenue and subscriptions and thus can't employ writers and the rest.

There is a ton of expense with print but it's the only place that generates revenue, even though that is shrinking.

I think Gannett is on the right track (which is probably the only realistic way forward), by accumulating a large number of mid and large sized dailies, and combining USA Today product into a content warehouse that is filled out with local news. This can provide newspaper style news with an affordable to produce and buy breaking news component. The question is if they can gain enough subscribers at the $10-15 per month level to make it economically feasible.

The Oklahoman will no longer endorse political candidates:

https://oklahoman.com/article/567400...ement-business

The Oklahoman will no longer endorse political candidates:

https://oklahoman.com/article/567400...ement-business
    from the story "a primary reason is we don't have a full editorial board"

ie we don't employ enough people to do this ...

I think the changing of the times and industry have more to do with this than anything else. Used to be that the local newspaper had a leading citizen as owner and/or publisher. They would usually make endorsements based on the "greater good of the community". Or their personal business interests and relationships in many cases, if truth be known. With the industry consolidation leaving Oklahoman owner Gannett publishing USA Today and something like 100 local papers, it is hard to make local endorsements that are uniform within the overall company management philosophies. Rest assured, The Oklahoman is a conservative, Republican newspaper, and will remain as such.

Lol Steve reporting on energy is hilarious

https://oklahoman.com/article/567407...n-downtown-okc

"It also holds a massive amount of debt — $4.4 billion. "

Devon has one of the strognest Debt/EBITDA ratios in the energy business. For a company of Devon's size 4.4 isn't bad. It's just a big number that sounds scary.

"Guest said:
    Went to Tulsa to see family this weekend. They are worried about the big hole being left by Williams when they come to Devon. It made me wonder what we would (or will?) do if Chesapeake or Devon ever sold or folded and left town. Lots of real estate involved in those two companies.

Steve Lackmeyer replied:
    Devon is safe for now. We're almost certain to see part of the Chesapeake Energy campus put on the market as part of its bankruptcy proceedings. The office buildings are surrounded by top tier restaurants, shops, a Whole Foods and Trader Joe's so that makes me think the space might be attractive once we climb out of this pandemic."

Is Steve aware that Devon is buying WPX? Also that Williams is a midstream company? And that Williams market cap is nearly 7X that of Devon's?

Blog Entries

To be fair, WPX was a spinoff of Williams. Williams Production and eXploration, "WPX".

Thread Information