Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 38 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: OPUBCO / Oklahoman Business Practices

Default Re: OPUBCO / Oklahoman Business Practices

Lol. Lackmyer is such a joke. He couldn’t even bring himself to answer questions about Costco in his Friday chat.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck5815 View Post
    Lol. Lackmyer is such a joke. He couldn’t even bring himself to answer questions about Costco in his Friday chat.
    Three weeks after Costco has opened: "I've heard rumors Costco might come to OKC, but nothing substantial".

Didn’t get my Sunday paper this morning and it’s irritating as hell. Called it in and I’m sure they’ll be by in an hour or two, but so many times I just get lazy and don’t even bother. And I’ll just come here, like I am now, to catch up on happenings in OKC. I’m sure half of you guys reading this will wonder what the hell im doing, still getting the newspaper. But I’m old school in so many ways. And there’s something nostalgic about sitting around reading a physical newspaper on Sunday mornings, while my wife or the kids are looking at the ads.

^^^

5. Default Re: OPUBCO / Oklahoman Business Practices

Quote Originally Posted by soonermike81 View Post
    Didn’t get my Sunday paper this morning and it’s irritating as hell. Called it in and I’m sure they’ll be by in an hour or two, but so many times I just get lazy and don’t even bother. And I’ll just come here, like I am now, to catch up on happenings in OKC. I’m sure half of you guys reading this will wonder what the hell im doing, still getting the newspaper. But I’m old school in so many ways. And there’s something nostalgic about sitting around reading a physical newspaper on Sunday mornings, while my wife or the kids are looking at the ads.
    Why don't you read the Print Replica online when that happens?

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    It’s not the same

That's one of those " If you have to ask you wouldn't get it anyway"

8. Default Re: OPUBCO / Oklahoman Business Practices

I assume you are talking about the tactile feel of the paper and being able to physically turn the pages. I get the paper because I like the puzzles, but when I'm on the road I read the print replica which is exactly like the print version save for the coupons and survive just fine.

I assume you are talking about the tactile feel of the paper and being able to physically turn the pages. I get the paper because I like the puzzles, but when I'm on the road I read the print replica which is exactly like the print version save for the coupons and survive just fine.
    I like feeling the paper also. When we moved out to near the airport though....delivery just sucked. Wouldn't get paper 1/3 of the time or wouldn't get till 9-10 am after leaving for work. Finally gave up and went to reading paper on line. I was taking the WSJ, D.O, and the NY times on Sunday.

I used to love to read the Sunday LA Times but I realized what an incredible waste it was... Briefly reading it then throwing it in the recycling bin.

Not just the killing of trees but the energy used to print it, deliver it and then recycle it.

I stopped taking it just as digital became an option and I've never looked back.

This really needs to stop. How on earth can the powers that be at the Oklahoman continue this incredibly unethical practice?

The irony is that Brianna Bailey -- who never ripped off OKCTalk's work while at the Journal Record but immediately and continuously did so while at the Oklahoman -- now works for The Frontier, which is now getting the same treatment.

And then there's the press release for a Confederate Flag Rally they published earlier this week.

https://twitter.com/zachnash/status/965963329008230401

13. Default Re: OPUBCO / Oklahoman Business Practices

Sorry, I didn't find a better place to put this.

Another example of simply inexcusable lack of attention to work :

The DO web page has been running this at least today - - "OU football: Lincoln Riley says domestic abusers 'won't work here" - - underneath is a large photo of offensive lineman Dru Samia with his arms crossed and a scowl on his face. I wouldn't be real happy with this if I were Dru .............

You have to click on his pic to see that he is up for Polynesian Player of the Year.

SMH

David Dishman -- the cub reporter the paper recently hired to cover retail news among other things -- is the latest blatant offender of stealing the work of OKCTalk, without any attribution.

In his brief career, he immediately started lifting stories from this site and in collaboration with more senior writers.

Yesterday he did the same with the VASA Fitness / Sears story. I know this because the information has been out there for quite a while, and I finally got around to getting down there, taking some photos and doing a write-up.

Within hours of that story getting a lot of traction in social media, Dishman comes up with his story with absolutely zero new information.

It should be obvious to anyone paying attention that its very easy to write a story once someone else has done all the work; to reverse engineer once it has all been laid out for you.

There are even specific terms for covering a story after a rival has broken it; it's called 'matching' or 'following'.

Every single respectable journalistic concern has a policy that states when you match or follow the reporting of another, you provide proper credit. And why wouldn't you?

That does not ever happen with the Oklahoman and they know damn well know they should -- they just chose not to. Or in the case of the Classen Circle story, they grow a conscious for an hour or two, provide proper credit (which costs them nothing) then later remove it as if such a credit is akin to admitting to collasal failure. And of course, all this is furthered by frequent attempts to completely discredit me and this site.

This practice is taught to people brought into the Oklahoman, of that I am sure. Brianna Bailey never did it when she was at the Journal Record (we actually had a good working relationship when she was there) but immediately took it up during her brief stay at the Oklahoman. Dishman started within his first couple of weeks and has done so repeatedly. And it's no surprise, as that publication's most tenured members model that behavior, unabashadely.

Disturbingly, the Journal Record has started to do the same thing.

It's incredibly hypocritical of the major local news outlets to conduct themselves this way, while frequently touting the inclusive and collaborative nature of OKC's business community. The truth is they aren't at all interested in quality journalism or getting essential information to the public, but are focused on protecting their territory at all costs, which includes direct violation of common journalistic ethics.

And ultimately, that is bad for OKC and the entire community.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    David Dishman -- the cub reporter the paper recently hired to cover retail news among other things -- is the latest blatant offender of stealing the work of OKCTalk, without any attribution.

In his brief career, he immediately started lifting stories from this site and in collaboration with more senior writers.

Yesterday he did the same with the VASA Fitness / Sears story. I know this because the information has been out there for quite a while, and I finally got around to getting down there, taking some photos and doing a write-up.

Within hours of that story getting a lot of traction in social media, Dishman comes up with his story with absolutely zero new information.

It should be obvious to anyone paying attention that its very easy to write a story once someone else has done all the work; to reverse engineer once it has all been laid out for you.

There are even specific terms for covering a story after a rival has broken it; it's called 'matching' or 'following'.

Every single respectable journalistic concern has a policy that states when you match or follow the reporting of another, you provide proper credit. And why wouldn't you?

That does not ever happen with the Oklahoman and they know damn well know they should -- they just chose not to. Or in the case of the Classen Circle story, they grow a conscious for an hour or two, provide proper credit (which costs them nothing) then later remove it as if such a credit is akin to admitting to collasal failure. And of course, all this is furthered by frequent attempts to completely discredit me and this site.

This practice is taught to people brought into the Oklahoman, of that I am sure. Brianna Bailey never did it when she was at the Journal Record (we actually had a good working relationship when she was there) but immediately took it up during her brief stay at the Oklahoman. Dishman started within his first couple of weeks and has done so repeatedly. And it's no surprise, as that publications most tenured members do the same, unabashadely.

Disturbingly, the Journal Record has started to do the same thing.

It's incredibly hypocritical of the major local news outlets to conduct themselves this way, while frequently touting the inclusive and collaborative nature of OKC's business community. The truth is they aren't at all interested in quality journalism or the free flow of information, but are focused on protecting their territory at all costs, which includes direct violation of common journalistic ethics.

And ultimately, that is bad for OKC and the entire community.
    I saw that, and was floored at how blatant it was! He didn't even try to come up with any new information.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    I saw that, and was floored at how blatant it was! He didn't even try to come up with any new information.
    I keep track of every time this happens, and it's quite a long list that has built up over the years.

It's clearly a specific business strategy the Oklahoman employs, and it's absolutely shameful.

I keep track of every time this happens, and it's quite a long list that has built up over the years.

It's clearly a specific business strategy the Oklahoman employs, and it's absolutely shameful.
    IS there anything you can do to prevent it that isn't already being done (besides copyrights/trademarks/etc)? Just curious, since it happens almost weekly.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    IS there anything you can do to prevent it that isn't already being done (besides copyrights/trademarks/etc)? Just curious, since it happens almost weekly.
    It's an ethical matter,not a legal one.

I will ultimately write in detail about all this, providing tons of examples and exactly how it works against the best interests of the community.

I am pretty sure I saw a post on Twitter that used your photo, no credit or retweet. The photo was of the Red Andrews park and the skyline behind it.

It's an ethical matter,not a legal one.

I will ultimately write in detail about all this, providing tons of examples and exactly how it works against the best interests of the community.
    Back in old days, when Edward King Gaylord was still at the helm, the OPubCo policy was quite clear. City Editor Chan Guffey laid it out to me in so many words, one day, when I was arguing that coverage of a neighborhood protest would be in the best interests of the city: "It's not news until we print it."

But Mister G had a clever approach to slanting the coverage: selective reporting. We didn't have to resort to copying other media's research -- because no other medium existed in those days. TV had not discovered the beauties of "investigative" jouirnalism, still relying on folk like Ed Murrow and Frank McGee. No competitive newspaper was able to survive in this closed market.

Things change, but the more they change, the more they remain the same. Mr. G finally expired, and his descendants (like many such) failed to share his skill. They finally grew tired of the game, and sold out. The new owner has found that reducing staff and resources can only go so far -- and now urges us to pay $1.64 weekly for "responsible journalism" while giving us 16 pages instead of 64.

Keep on providing us a really responsible medium, Pete. The days of providing "news" with a multi-hour lead time are pretty much behind us. Let the copyists do their thing; just concentrate on staying out in front of them!

^

Thanks for that perspective, Jim. And for the kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    I am pretty sure I saw a post on Twitter that used your photo, no credit or retweet. The photo was of the Red Andrews park and the skyline behind it.
    That might be a legal issue, and not just an ethical one - doesn't copyright exist in photos by the photographer unless stated otherwise? May not know what I'm talking about, though. Not sure who on Twitter used it, could you get them to take it down or make them credit it to you, Pete?

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    That might be a legal issue, and not just an ethical one - doesn't copyright exist in photos by the photographer unless stated otherwise? May not know what I'm talking about, though. Not sure who on Twitter used it, could you get them to take it down or make them credit it to you, Pete?
    I believe this was from someone who is just a follower of the site and didn't mean harm.

I usually just drop people in note in those situations and say, "Thanks for your interest! In the future, please credit us on anything you share from the site or that we post in social media." Honestly, most people in these situations mean well.

I knew this practice goes on at The Oklahoman regarding their recycling of content from this site and presenting it as their own. However, I think only now am I realizing how often this occurs. For what it's worth, Pete, since your move from LA to Oklahoma City, and seeing your hard work and commitment to OKCTalk, I have a whole new respect for you and see you as a trailblazer and a force for nothing but good in our fair city. The Oklahoman is embarrassing and I'm disappointed to read that the Journal Record is also resorting to the same practices.

So what other news outlets are there for local OK news that doesn't do this? Are any of them in print or only online?

Thread Information