Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: OPUBCO / Oklahoman Business Practices

Default Re: OPUBCO / Oklahoman Business Practices

Ultimately, the newspaper is just a vehicle to sell ads and classifieds. News is (and always has been) secondary. So they don't care about print quality or timeliness, except to the extent it affects ad revenues.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Ultimately, the newspaper is just a vehicle to sell ads and classifieds. News is (and always has been) secondary. So they don't care about print quality or timeliness, except to the extent it affects ad revenues.
    Well, yes and no. There has to be at least a minimal value-add proposition such that you say, "well, I'm not selling *just* an ad vehicle," because few if anyone would buy it. News was that vehicle. Back when classifieds were still the primary means for selling things second-hand, it was a bias-neutral income source. The presence or absence of a $5-10 ad for your used car was of little relevance. But as bigger advertisers came in, those who bought quarter, half, or even full pages, that influence started skewing certain kinds of coverage - just like it did/does for TV news. So I get where you're coming from.

The key, however, was that back in the day, advertising revenue was so diverse that it was difficult (not impossible) for one kind of ad source to influence what was covered. Now *all* sources of ad revenue are fallling off, and subscriber revenue was never intended in that business model to be a substantial cover for production costs. With those rates going up, content dropping off as costs are cut, it's a deadly embrace without the print media embracing the web, but social media provides a legitimate, quicker, albeit unvetted source of rapidly disseminated information.

I would love to have been a sports writer/journalist (path not taken kinda thing), but in the midst of what looks like a dying industry, it probably worked out just as well that I went a different direction. I would imagine the stress of being a print journalist right now purely from a paying the bills and "how long will this job last" standpoint could be pretty miserable.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Well, yes and no. There has to be at least a minimal value-add proposition such that you say, "well, I'm not selling *just* an ad vehicle," because few if anyone would buy it. News was that vehicle. Back when classifieds were still the primary means for selling things second-hand, it was a bias-neutral income source. The presence or absence of a $5-10 ad for your used car was of little relevance. But as bigger advertisers came in, those who bought quarter, half, or even full pages, that influence started skewing certain kinds of coverage - just like it did/does for TV news. So I get where you're coming from.

The key, however, was that back in the day, advertising revenue was so diverse that it was difficult (not impossible) for one kind of ad source to influence what was covered. Now *all* sources of ad revenue are fallling off, and subscriber revenue was never intended in that business model to be a substantial cover for production costs. With those rates going up, content dropping off as costs are cut, it's a deadly embrace without the print media embracing the web, but social media provides a legitimate, quicker, albeit unvetted source of rapidly disseminated information.

I would love to have been a sports writer/journalist (path not taken kinda thing), but in the midst of what looks like a dying industry, it probably worked out just as well that I went a different direction. I would imagine the stress of being a print journalist right now purely from a paying the bills and "how long will this job last" standpoint could be pretty miserable.
    I was being sort of glib, but yeah, I agree with you. I get more up to date and informed information and news from this website than I do on newsok. I mean, the featured article on newsok.com is "Metta World Peace Sexually Assaulted by Ghost at Skirvin?"

Hard hitting, that.

Just a FYI in case you didn't know: The subscriber list at any publication is NOT an asset, it's a liability! Seems counterintuitive, but when they accept your money for a subscription, they've entered into a contract that obligates them to deliver you their product -- and that obligation is obviously a liability!

Some 20 years ago the publisher of a magazine for which I was a columnist made that point to me. During my first 40 or so years in the business, though, I (like many of the general public) thought the subscription list was one of the most valuable assets of any publication!

EDIT: The conclusion is that the more of us cancel our subscriptions, the better will be the paper's bottom line!!!
    Last edited by Jim Kyle; 10-31-2016 at 03:02 PM. Reason: afterthought

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kyle View Post
    Just a FYI in case you didn't know: The subscriber list at any publication is NOT an asset, it's a liability! Seems counterintuitive, but when they accept your money for a subscription, they've entered into a contract that obligates them to deliver you their product -- and that obligation is obviously a liability!

Some 20 years ago the publisher of a magazine for which I was a columnist made that point to me. During my first 40 or so years in the business, though, I (like many of the general public) thought the subscription list was one of the most valuable assets of any publication!

EDIT: The conclusion is that the more of us cancel our subscriptions, the better will be the paper's bottom line!!!
    Isn't there a law of diminishing returns? If too many cancel, no advertisers will want to spend their money, therefore revenue will drop and the paper will need to add subscribers or fold?

I like the change. The paper is better quality, less mangled and the print seems fine. On that point I think some of you aren't giving the company time to get the wrinkles smoothed out of this huge transition. So bottom line, if you're missing the details on the late college games I guess you'll have to subscribe to the Sunday version too.

You're right, it's the TW doing the printing, but my point is that the Oklahoman is doing ALL these things knowing full well the handicap it places on themselves...it just seems to me you wouldn't do these things unless you flat were running out of alternatives. ...
    Oh, absolutely, I agree totally, you don't do those things unless it's a "Hail Mary" type of thing, didn't really make that clear in my post, sorry...

Quote Originally Posted by stick47 View Post
    I like the change. The paper is better quality, less mangled and the print seems fine. On that point I think some of you aren't giving the company time to get the wrinkles smoothed out of this huge transition. So bottom line, if you're missing the details on the late college games I guess you'll have to subscribe to the Sunday version too.
    I do subscribe to the Sunday paper and it had very limited information about the evening OU football game. Much more information about it was finally available on Monday. And the print quality on my paper is not good. Much of it looks dim or faded instead of dark and sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by stick47 View Post
    The printers aren't some new kid in town; they already print the Tulsa World. The paper looks terrible. And the coverage issues aren't changing. Tramel was talking about their new deadlines as if that's a settled issue. The point is there really arent any kinks to resolve. The new level of suckage is apparently permanent, and I think the folks who run the Oklahoman now are grasping at straws as ad revenues continue to disappear for newspapers.

Wish I had a link to a story I read not two days ago about another *huge* round of cuts getting ready to hit the venerable Wall St Journal. They're coming, and no one thinks it'll be anything less than draconian. If the WSJ is hemorrhaging, imgine what a paper like thr Oklahoman is dealing with.

So Walmart haters now have a new challenge. DOK Haters. <LOL>

Prior to the change it felt like I dug my paper out of a dumpster and now it arrives & comes out of the bag and lays flat on the breakfast table. The pages are thicker and I've never had to squint my eyes b/c of faded print.
    $182 for 365 newspapers. I'll take that deal.

We went all-digital when we moved to a different house last winter, about the time our subscription expired. I was afraid it wouldn't be the same as having the physical paper, but it's been really easy. Hubby likes the crossword puzzle, and we just print it out.

I'm sure their physical print distribution is dying off pretty quickly and thus the selling of their former plant along with the office structure.

I stop taking the print paper a long time ago, starting in L.A. I'm one of those people who always looked forward to the morning paper but it became so obviously wasteful... This huge stack of paper you quickly read through than trash.

And of course, all the news is at least a day old anyway.

I don't miss the hard copy paper one bit and enjoy collecting info from lots of sources.

Can't really beat the speed and efficiency of digital. Moving printing operations across the state is literally doing the opposite of digital media. The Oklahoman staff must be feeling like door to door encyclopedia sales people in the late 90's/early 2000's.

I'm sure almost no one under 45 takes the physical paper any more.

HangryHippo Guest

I posted about this in the Uptown Theatre thread, but is anyone else having trouble opening articles from NewsOK.com on an iPhone? I tap the article I want to read and it looks like it's opening the link and then it says HTTP/1.0.403 Forbidden and I can never get the article to open.

Heck, I'm 52 and don't take it.

But the key for me was tha the *content* started failing before the web onslaught hit. Both together made the paper a complete waste for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Can't really beat the speed and efficiency of digital. Moving printing operations across the state is literally doing the opposite of digital media. The Oklahoman staff must be feeling like door to door encyclopedia sales people in the late 90's/early 2000's.
    I feel sort of guilty when the guy at Crest asks me if I want a free paper and I reply "no thanks, I have the internet". Then I remember it's not 1985 and don't feel as bad. Buggy whips.

I feel sort of guilty when the guy at Crest asks me if I want a free paper and I reply "no thanks, I have the internet". Then I remember it's not 1985 and don't feel as bad. Buggy whips.
    Great stuff. I remember a very brief stint a few years back when I think I took a promotional deal for maybe a couple of months (3? don't remember). Thought I'd give it a try. Then I realized as I left for work every morning I'd forgotten to read it, decided I'd read it that night, then realized the stuff in it was mostly stale. Then I just skipped reading it, and then caught myself just tossing the thing in the trash to get it out of my way when doing yard work most days. That demonstrated the waste no matter how I sliced it.

There is also a tremendous amount of waste in moving in all the raw materials to manufacture the paper and then deliver it.

It's all just a holdover when there were no other options and it really makes zero sense in the modern world.

There was a great book my boss had me read back in the late 90's, I can't remember it's name, about how Craigslist and Ebay were killing newspapers and what type of changes they'd need to make to adjust. It was really interesting, and had a great breakdown on the evolution of industries and the effect new technologies have on them.

There was a great book my boss had me read back in the late 90's, I can't remember it's name, about how Craigslist and Ebay were killing newspapers and what type of changes they'd need to make to adjust. It was really interesting, and had a great breakdown on the evolution of industries and the effect new technologies have on them.
    I can't even fathom someone placing a classified ad in a newspaper these days. I suppose someone selling something substantive, like perhaps a used car, it still might have value, but with CL and web-based listings out there, that seems the ultimate anachronism. Heck, I remember shopping for OU-Texas tickets via classifieds when I was a teenager.

Yes, I didn't realize that classifieds were such a huge source of income for newspapers and of course that revenue has almost completely vanished.

They also make good money off obituaries and wedding announcements. The former is something that absolutely should change, as it's outrageous to charge so much money for what should be a public service.

Heck, I'm 52 and don't take it.

But the key for me was tha the *content* started failing before the web onslaught hit. Both together made the paper a complete waste for me.
    I'm 73 and don't take it. I do subscribe to the online version though.
    C. T.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    It's all just a holdover when there were no other options and it really makes zero sense in the modern world.
    Pete,
    Eventually, you will be right, but I live in an independent living facility (old folks home/retirement home) and I am one of about three people out of thirteen apartments that own a computer. Part of my facility is an assisted living center with probably fifty small apartments and I have not talked to anyone that had a computer, so the print media is still important to them. But I do understand/know the need for the paper is dwindling and will not be around much longer.
    C. T.

^

Thanks for pointing that out and of course you are exactly right.

Thread Information