Widgets Magazine
Page 29 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2425262728293031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: OPUBCO / Oklahoman Business Practices

Default Re: OPUBCO / Oklahoman Business Practices

^^^ took this paper since 1978. Quit this last January and this is just another reason not to renew. They would miss delivery about a third of the time and never got a replacement copy. Blamed Covid and everything else. Not worth fighting them so just let it go.

2. Default Re: OPUBCO / Oklahoman Business Practices

Their delivery was so unreliable that I switched to a digital subscription, but I still like to read the print replica edition of it. The Oklahoman like many newspapers has really gone downhill in the last decade.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Looks like they did an edition but didn't load properly. I got three pages of the paper' Front page. A15 and the comics. A15 is missing half the content.
    Thanks for posting Jeepnokc. I thought something was wrong with my computer when I viewed on 3 pages of this morning paper and was making arrangements for a Geek Squad rep to come out. You saved me some out-of-pocket expenses.

5. Default Re: OPUBCO / Oklahoman Business Practices

I keep getting offers for $1 for 6 months for a subscriptions. Why not just make it free at that point? On the other hand, yes it is a dollar. Such a hard choice lol

Quote Originally Posted by Richard at Remax View Post
    I keep getting offers for $1 for 6 months for a subscriptions. Why not just make it free at that point? On the other hand, yes it is a dollar. Such a hard choice lol
    Because they want your credit card info so when you forget to cancel after 6 months, you get hit with a much higher auto-renewal rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Because they want your credit card info so when you forget to cancel after 6 months, you get hit with a much higher auto-renewal rate.
    i wonder if they'd process payment from a visa gift card...

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    i wonder if they'd process payment from a visa gift card...
    They will. That's the only way I could cancel my subscription, transfer my payment method to a near empty card.

The Oklahoman is not printing a paper today or Christmas day.

That has to be a first.

^^^

I was trying to remember if they did this last Christmas as well.

Blog Entries

Shouldn't the Christmas Day paper be a big money maker for them with ads and inserts for after Christmas sales? The day after Christmas is something like the 3rd or 4th busiest shopping day of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by turnpup View Post
    ^^^

I was trying to remember if they did this last Christmas as well.
    They printed on both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day last year and all the years before.

from what i understand, there will be no delivery on new year's eve or new year's day, either.

It is starting to get like deja vu reading the paper as they seem to be getting worse about recycling stories. For example, in today's paper is a story about whether you should cancel your cruise. I read the same article last week. Pretty sure I read it in the "bonus" edition which is basically USA today. This appears to be happening more and more that they recycle several days later.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    from what i understand, there will be no delivery on new year's eve or new year's day, either.

That is correct. There was an announcement to that effect in today's paper.

If you rely on getting your news from the paper or wanting to read about OU's Alamo Bowl victory on Wednesday night, you apparently have to wait until Sunday's newspaper. Lol

17. Default Re: OPUBCO / Oklahoman Business Practices

The Oklahoman has several Alamo Bowl articles available online, but it is still ridiculous that they are publishing a print version.

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    The Oklahoman has several Alamo Bowl articles available online, but it is still ridiculous that they are publishing a print version.
    I'm a subscriber and definitely want them to continue with a print version. I have a number of various very usefully things that I use printed newspapers for besides reading.

19. Default Re: OPUBCO / Oklahoman Business Practices

Quote Originally Posted by unfundedrick View Post
    I'm a subscriber and definitely want them to continue with a print version. I have a number of various very usefully things that I use printed newspapers for besides reading.
    My fault. I meant to say it's ridiculous that they are NOT publishing a print edition.

As the Oklahoman is working towards consolidating to a small fraction of the space in the Century Center they took just several years ago (just 94 desks vs. the 350 jobs they claimed were moving downtown in order to get $1.5 million in TIF money), I did some research on their self-reported circulation.

No matter how badly you think they are doing, these numbers are still shocking:

Average daily circulation 1996: 307.064
    Average daily circulation 2020: 50,362

For some reason, they didn't print their annual Statement of Ownership for 2021 but I suspect the numbers have only dropped further.

As the Oklahoman is working towards consolidating to a small fraction of the space in the Century Center they took just several years ago (just 94 desks vs. the 350 jobs they claimed were moving downtown in order to get $1.5 million in TIF money), I did some research on their self-reported circulation.

No matter how badly you think they are doing, these numbers are still shocking:

Average daily circulation 1996: 307.064
    Average daily circulation 2020: 50,362

For some reason, they didn't print their annual Statement of Ownership for 2021 but I suspect the numbers have only dropped further.
    I used to take the paper religiously, but stopped about 10 years ago because I just wasn't reading it. Most of the time I was tossing it into the recycling bin unopened. News has just evolved to the point that newspapers are obsolete. My elderly dad still takes the paper and is an avid reader, but he's not tied into instant news that most of society is anymore.

I also attempted over the years to get on board with the Oklahoman's digital platform but it really was very quirky. I think it has become better recently, more easily navigable, but that hasn't always been the case.

^

Case in point, the Oklahoman just today published a near-exact copy of the Kroger story we broke. 13 days ago.

Received a notice that The Oklahoman is ending access to its archives through libraries. Really a shame. A couple of years ago it was discovered just about anyone could access the archives from the link below. No one ever fixed it even after letting them know. Public and academic libraries paid the big bucks for these archives.

https://digital.olivesoftware.com/ol...spx#panel=home

24. Default Re: OPUBCO / Oklahoman Business Practices

^

Case in point, the Oklahoman just today published a near-exact copy of the Kroger story we broke. 13 days ago.
    Nothing like scooping the major newspaper by 2 weeks! Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by midtownokcer View Post
    Received a notice that The Oklahoman is ending access to its archives through libraries. Really a shame. A couple of years ago it was discovered just about anyone could access the archives from the link below. No one ever fixed it even after letting them know. Public and academic libraries paid the big bucks for these archives.

https://digital.olivesoftware.com/ol...spx#panel=home
    That's too bad. I really enjoy having that access through my library card.

Thread Information