Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: OPUBCO / Oklahoman Business Practices

Default Re: OPUBCO / Oklahoman Business Practices

We have a Wed. + Fri-Sun package. Dirt cheap as I recall.

We've never used any of the free classified ad (ads?) that come with the annual package. We have taken advantage of a few of the ClubOk coupons that come with the package, though not many since Qudoba fell out of their mix sometime back.

I don't recall he last time I cracked one open, as I tend to read online. But my lovely likes a paper paper, and the coupons/ads that come with. Her daddy, who comes to visit with us a few days most months, enjoys a morning paper. Even if I never read it at all, it's a bargain price to have it here for him that I imagine we'll do this partial week setup for as long as we are blessed to have one of our parents still with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    If you double click on the crossword, it will come up in a format you can print off
    Thanks! That'll make my husband super-happy!

I suspect they make as much or more off of digital subscriptions, as they don't have to print an physically delivery the hard copy.

Quote Originally Posted by bradh View Post
    We're in our mid 30's and get the paper daily, our 5 year old might flip out if she didn't get her daily comics (the actual comics fellas, not the content).

That said, while some of the stuff I read is maybe something I already knew, or I can pick up a hint of bias, I remember that a lot of people work for the paper and there are good folks working there who are just doing their best to provide some journalistic work. I guess I just don't feel the need to crap on them at any chance.
    Isn't that logic similar to saying something like I eat at El Chico even though I know the food is really bad there because I know the people that work there are nice, good people? Serious question and just trying to understand your POV.

Some interesting questions:

As a community, what do you think we would lose if the Oklahoman went out of business?

Does it contain any information that you can't find anywhere else?

And if the answer to the second question is yes, do you think that void would be filled by other entities?

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
    Isn't that logic similar to saying something like I eat at El Chico even though I know the food is really bad there because I know the people that work there are nice, good people? Serious question and just trying to understand your POV.
    Point made, sorta. Perhaps I was a little too simplistic. I guess I don't understand the complete and total thrashing of the paper. Is some of it junk, yeah, but I still get something out of it when I read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

As a community, what do you think we would lose if the Oklahoman went out of business?

And if the answer to the second question is yes, do you think that void would be filled by other entities?
    I don't know the answer to the first question, but what major city in the US doesn't have a daily paper?

Second question, my answer is "it depends", but sometimes, going to one place instead of 5 is just easier. That said, I myself don't visit the website, and only read the paper on the weekends since I'm already short on time in the mornings.

Point made, sorta. Perhaps I was a little too simplistic. I guess I don't understand the complete and total thrashing of the paper. Is some of it junk, yeah, but I still get something out of it when I read it.
    Because it was/is a monopoly and sometimes misuses it's power for the gain of it's owners and their interests and the interest of those that align with them. And it's been that way for a hundred years.

The lack of real competition is never, ever a good thing in any business.

Because it was/is a monopoly and sometimes misuses it's power for the gain of it's owners and their interests and the interest of those that align with them. And it's been that way for a hundred years.

The lack of real competition is never, ever a good thing in any business.
    I don't disagree. I guess I'm just used to it because in 3 of the 4 major cities I've ever lived in, there was only one paper (Houston, Phoenix and OKC). The Houston Post died when I was in high school and it's been a one man show since, and you're right, it sucks down there.

What I was getting at is 100% of what's in the paper isn't that evilness described. We're all smart enough to snuff that out, but I understand the concern you have that not everyone does realize the bias.

I don't disagree. I guess I'm just used to it because in 3 of the 4 major cities I've ever lived in, there was only one paper (Houston, Phoenix and OKC). The Houston Post died when I was in high school and it's been a one man show since, and you're right, it sucks down there.
    No doubt, not having a daily newspaper would be a negative to OKC's reputation, but I'm talking more theoretically. As in most newspapers in mid-sized cities going away, which is a legitimate long-term possibility.

There was a great PBS documentary about the long and slow demise of the local newspaper and several journalists argued that they are no longer really needed, that only a few national papers are actually doing original reporting of any value these days, and that everything else is pretty well covered in other mediums.

No doubt most of the basic news information could be found in other places but who wants to take the time to search multiple places every day to get all of that information.

And there are certain things in the local sports, entertainment, and lifestyles areas that might not be or are not available elsewhere.

An interesting side note is that I just got an offer from them to give me my next year at half price if I prepaid them the full year instead of paying my carrier monthly.

I believe in local journalism. There is room for amateur journalists on blogs, forums, Twitter, etc. They add to the overall depth of knowledge and whispers about town, but to maintain that they are - as a whole - an alternative to a daily newspaper is wrong.

There are so many reasons why. It shouldn't be either/or and self-interest shouldn't be a reason to hope or argue for the end of the local newspaper. I still value the professional journalist. There is room for both new media and newspapers, but be careful for what we wish for. A daily paper is a connection to the past and present that does not go filled in one place online. The decline of an institution, at the altar of ephemeral websites, would be a harmful event. I don't agree with half of the Oklahoman editorials or choices in coverage (and non-coverage), but I support those journalists who lift their voices and sometimes win the day. The public square in Oklahoma City would be poorer for lack of The Oklahoman. I would argue that about any city with any newspaper.

Recently signed up for print + digital subscription at work. Took a week and a half, 3 online support tickets, and 4 phone calls to finally get a print copy delivered. They did deliver all of the missed copies. Now it comes probably 4/5 days a week. Support was friendly but not at all helpful. The rep advised me to fill out the online form. Told them I am happy to do that but it hasn't worked yet.

14. Default Re: OPUBCO / Oklahoman Business Practices

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    I believe in local journalism. There is room for amateur journalists on blogs, forums, Twitter, etc. They add to the overall depth of knowledge and whispers about town, but to maintain that they are - as a whole - an alternative to a daily newspaper is wrong.

There are so many reasons why. It shouldn't be either/or and self-interest shouldn't be a reason to hope or argue for the end of the local newspaper. I still value the professional journalist. There is room for both new media and newspapers, but be careful for what we wish for. A daily paper is a connection to the past and present that does not go filled in one place online. The decline of an institution, at the altar of ephemeral websites, would be a harmful event. I don't agree with half of the Oklahoman editorials or choices in coverage (and non-coverage), but I support those journalists who lift their voices and sometimes win the day. The public square in Oklahoma City would be poorer for lack of The Oklahoman. I would argue that about any city with any newspaper.
    Hear, hear.

Some good news re: The Oklahoman; Ben Felder is joining as an investigative reporter.

I alwas love it when someone says a variety of new sources are crucial and then trashes one of the dominant outlets. If they really felt that way they would subscribe to the paper itself. You know, to keep as many viewpoints active in the marketplace as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
    Some good news re: The Oklahoman; Ben Felder is joining as an investigative reporter.
    They have hired several reporters recently: Ben, Brianna Bailey and two energy reporters... And that's just off the top of my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    I alwas love it when someone says a variety of new sources are crucial and then trashes one of the dominant outlets. If they really felt that way they would subscribe to the paper itself. You know, to keep as many viewpoints active in the marketplace as possible.
    Who are you addressing?

Anyone who says a variety is crucial then trashes the paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Anyone who says a variety is crucial then trashes the paper.
    You realize those two things are not mutually exclusive?

You can criticize an entity and still want it to stay around in some form.

Quote Originally Posted by checkthat View Post
    Recently signed up for print + digital subscription at work. Took a week and a half, 3 online support tickets, and 4 phone calls to finally get a print copy delivered. They did deliver all of the missed copies. Now it comes probably 4/5 days a week. Support was friendly but not at all helpful. The rep advised me to fill out the online form. Told them I am happy to do that but it hasn't worked yet.
    Towards the end of my subscription, The Oklahoman could only deliver the paper 5 or 6 times out of the 7 days. When I called they would tell me they were having trouble with getting deliverers or something. I told them that wasnt my problem and I was paying to have it in my driveway daily. They didnt care much, I didnt renew. I get my news from them online and elsewhere. Hard for me to stomach paying them with unreliable delivery, not to mention their crazy conservative, non-sequitur type of editorials and positions.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Towards the end of my subscription, The Oklahoman could only deliver the paper 5 or 6 times out of the 7 days. When I called they would tell me they were having trouble with getting deliverers or something. I told them that wasnt my problem and I was paying to have it in my driveway daily. They didnt care much, I didnt renew. I get my news from them online and elsewhere. Hard for me to stomach paying them with unreliable delivery, not to mention their crazy conservative, non-sequitur type of editorials and positions.
    I only have maybe once or twice a year that my paper isn't at my front door. When that happens and I call they have someone bring it to me later in the day.

Lovely photo montage this morning of the Confederate Flag rally. Seriously. 11 photos. They publish 11 photos of a Confederate Flag rally but rarely publish more than two or three rendering images in their development stories.

Found out something odd today about the print edition - there are different zones, but they don't say what it is on the front page, so you have to look inside. Thought that when papers did zoning, they put what zone it was on the front page so people would know which one they're getting, but maybe not. Wife wrote a story and it wasn't in one of the copies she bought, but it was in another one and it turned out that the one it wasn't in was zoned for Edmond, while the regular non-zoned one had it. It said Edmond on the front page of the section, but not on the front page of the paper, so I guess that's what we'll have to look for, strange....

TheTravellers,
    I don't ever remember the "community" section being printed on the front page and I have taken the paper since 1965. When it's delivered, it has the appropriate section but when you buy it, if you are in Warr Acres, you get the West Section.
    C. T.

Thread Information