Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: U.S. intelligence: Bomb likely brought down plane

Default U.S. intelligence: Bomb likely brought down plane

If this is true it will be interesting to see what Russia does.

The latest U.S. intelligence suggests that the crash of Metrojet Flight 9268 was most likely caused by a bomb on the plane planted by ISIS or an ISIS affiliate, according to a U.S. official familiar with the matter. The official stressed that there has not been a formal conclusion reached by the U.S. intelligence community. "There is a definite feeling it was an explosive device planted in luggage or somewhere on the plane," the official told CNN's Barbara Starr.

U.S. intelligence: Bomb likely brought down plane - CNN.com

Default Re: U.S. intelligence: Bomb likely brought down plane

The cynic in me says: well, Russia wanted to participate in the middle east, looks like they're getting more of it than they expected.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    The cynic in me says: well, Russia wanted to participate in the middle east, looks like they're getting more of it than they expected.
    I was thinking that as well.

"The cynic in me says: well, Russia wanted to participate in the middle east, looks like they're getting more of it than they expected."
    "I was thinking that as well."

Not to myself: Be Civil. Be Civil.

This was an absolute tragedy. 200+ innocent people killed in this crash which now is looking more and more like a wanton act of terror by ISIS or other Islamic extremist groups. How can either one of you post such things? Just say what I am thinking you really mean - they got what they asked for, right?

This is the same kind of rubbish that was roundly criticized as inhumane after 9/11:
    "The chickens have come home to roost."
    "After all the years of meddling in the Middle East, they finally got theirs."

Russia's interest in fighting radical Islam came with consequences, they knew that. But should any country really expect innocents flying to vacation on an airliner to become targets? Expect innocents to die in the Twin Towers?

I just wanted to point out the inhumanity of the words written here by the two posters. Who, btw, are otherwise fine members and I'm sure are great people. But this is exactly what the U.S. had to hear when publicly countries were saying, "Today, we're all Americans." But many were muttering under their breaths that we had it coming.

I applaud the Russian people for their commitment to fighting Islamic extremists and am horribly sorry that it now looks like innocent people have been blown out of the sky for the stand Russia has taken in Syria and elsewhere.

I'd just, as an aside, point out that we have 600 or so troops in the Sinai, based mostly in Sharm el Sheikh.

Zoo, I think it's safe to say that we all feel badly about what happened. Terrorist acts of this type are simply acts of war. The type of mentality that can fly an airplane into an office building full of civilians or can blow up a plane full of children is simply inhuman. It happened and it needs to be addressed as an act of war. Lets face it though, neither Putin, the Russians or ISIS really cares what we think on here. Its a discussion page. Neither of the posters said anything remotely close to what you portray. If you wish to grieve then please do. Don't attack others for deciding to simply discuss the facts.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Zoo, I think it's safe to say that we all feel badly about what happened. Terrorist acts of this type are simply acts of war. The type of mentality that can fly an airplane into an office building full of civilians or can blow up a plane full of children is simply inhuman. It happened and it needs to be addressed as an act of war. Lets face it though, neither Putin, the Russians or ISIS really cares what we think on here. Its a discussion page. Neither of the posters said anything remotely close to what you portray. If you wish to grieve then please do. Don't attack others for deciding to simply discuss the facts.
    Mug, What's good for the goose is not good for the gander? I know it's a discussion board. I was discussing my thoughts about their attitude toward the tragedy. And it was more than just the facts. I took it as them saying, "Well, they wanted to get involved in Syria and WELCOME to the Middle East!" This is a discussion board, as you said. I should be allowed to discuss my views just like you are allowed to discuss whatever and tell me what to post and what not to post. We all don't have to agree. But, your asking me to do this and don't do that; and basically telling me that we only discuss FACTS at OKCTalk? Ha! Appreciate your thoughts. Mine are allowed too though, Mug.

Quote Originally Posted by Chadanth View Post
    I'd just, as an aside, point out that we have 600 or so troops in the Sinai, based mostly in Sharm el Sheikh.
    And? Where don't we have troops? We have military bases in every crook and cranny on the planet. Maybe I missed the context of your aside or the point you were making.

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    Mine are allowed too though, Mug.
    Of course they are! I didn't say they weren't. My qualm was only that you attacked two people because they didnt show enough empathy for your taste over this apparent terrorist attack. I have no problem with anything else you said though I don't necessarily agree with it but I didnt bring that up.

Believe it or not you're all right. It is a horrible tragic event and Russia is probably getting more then they thought they would.

11. Default Re: U.S. intelligence: Bomb likely brought down plane

Getting the Russians involved may be the end of ISIS. They dont play by the rules, either.

Getting the Russians involved may be the end of ISIS. They dont play by the rules, either.
    Might skyrocket oil as well

Does anyone else get the feeling that America was some what protecting ISIS in a way, or did we just not want to do anything about them?

14. Default Re: U.S. intelligence: Bomb likely brought down plane

The President wants no part of expanding our role in the middle east, no matter the consequences. He has allowed ISIS to run amok in order to try to get us out. He was dealt a hand of cards that was chosen poorly but has played them just as poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
    Does anyone else get the feeling that America was some what protecting ISIS in a way, or did we just not want to do anything about them?
    Protecting no......
    If they are to be eliminated, bombing strikes will only go so far. Someone is going to have to put boots on the ground.

No.

Probably not. They suck at nation building and counterinsurgency too.

And? Where don't we have troops? We have military bases in every crook and cranny on the planet. Maybe I missed the context of your aside or the point you were making.
    No, it's just a very small, low profile, peacekeeping mission. I spent a year there, and they're not well armed. I'm sure the posture has changed some, but it's treaty-regulated.

"The cynic in me says: well, Russia wanted to participate in the middle east, looks like they're getting more of it than they expected."
    "I was thinking that as well."

Not to myself: Be Civil. Be Civil.

This was an absolute tragedy. 200+ innocent people killed in this crash which now is looking more and more like a wanton act of terror by ISIS or other Islamic extremist groups. How can either one of you post such things? Just say what I am thinking you really mean - they got what they asked for, right?

This is the same kind of rubbish that was roundly criticized as inhumane after 9/11:
    "The chickens have come home to roost."
    "After all the years of meddling in the Middle East, they finally got theirs."

Russia's interest in fighting radical Islam came with consequences, they knew that. But should any country really expect innocents flying to vacation on an airliner to become targets? Expect innocents to die in the Twin Towers?

I just wanted to point out the inhumanity of the words written here by the two posters. Who, btw, are otherwise fine members and I'm sure are great people. But this is exactly what the U.S. had to hear when publicly countries were saying, "Today, we're all Americans." But many were muttering under their breaths that we had it coming.

I applaud the Russian people for their commitment to fighting Islamic extremists and am horribly sorry that it now looks like innocent people have been blown out of the sky for the stand Russia has taken in Syria and elsewhere.
    It can simultaneously be a tragedy and something that you can expect once you get involved in fighting in the middle east, especially with the sort of atrocities that ISIS has been committing for years over there on the civilian populations already in their reach. Given what they've already been up to, is it really a surprise that they view civilians of countries involved in the fighting as anything other than more targets? Personally I'm just wondering when we're going to see ISIS attacks directly against the US.

And don't kid yourself that Putin is in this purely to fight Islamic extremists. If he had a single merciful bone in his body, Ukraine wouldn't be in the state it is. Given what has come out about Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 in the analysis that the Dutch did, as far as I'm concerned Russia itself is a state sponsor of terrorism these days.

President Obama is going to do everything he can to avoid deploying troops and going to war, it's important to him that his legacy is he got us out of the Middle East not further in. However, his rein of death hitting anything and everything with drones, might look worse one day.

That's just my opinion and observation.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    President Obama is going to do everything he can to avoid deploying troops and going to war, it's important to him that his legacy is he got us out of the Middle East not further in. However, his rein of death hitting anything and everything with drones, might look worse one day.

That's just my opinion and observation.
    I know what you mean but I prefer targeted strikes rather than getting more young men and women killed.

Mug, What's good for the goose is not good for the gander? I know it's a discussion board. I was discussing my thoughts about their attitude toward the tragedy. And it was more than just the facts. I took it as them saying, "Well, they wanted to get involved in Syria and WELCOME to the Middle East!" This is a discussion board, as you said. I should be allowed to discuss my views just like you are allowed to discuss whatever and tell me what to post and what not to post. We all don't have to agree. But, your asking me to do this and don't do that; and basically telling me that we only discuss FACTS at OKCTalk? Ha! Appreciate your thoughts. Mine are allowed too though, Mug.
    I just took those posts as dark humor regarding the situation. Of course it's bad when someone blows up a civilian airliner. Nobody is happy that it happened, but people can express those concerns differently. Saying "well, you wanted to be more involved..." doesn't mean the poster doesn't have sympathy for the people who were killed.

No.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    President Obama is going to do everything he can to avoid deploying troops and going to war, it's important to him that his legacy is he got us out of the Middle East not further in.
    Well, more than 50 troops at least...

25. Default Re: U.S. intelligence: Bomb likely brought down plane

Curious if the 50 aren't being imbedded with the anti-ISIS / Anti-Assad Syrians so the Russians won't bomb them?

Thread Information