Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beer

Default Re: Beer

IPAs are definitely an acquired taste. The first one I tried was Sweetwater IPA out of Atlanta, and I could hardly drink it. Now I have learned to love them.

2. Default Re: Beer

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Now I have learned to love them.

Quote Originally Posted by camrun91 View Post
    Do you know the prices on any of these do they do tastings? I know Coop does free tastings and tours at theirs.
    Mustang is free, pretty sure that Anthem is as well.
    Roughtails website says $5, but I've gotten plenty of samples there for free.

4. Default Re: Beer

When I lived in Denver 90% of my beer drinking was Fat Tire or Wynkoop Railyard Ale, with the majority of being Fat Tire. I can not wait until they come to the state. I hardly drink beer here because Denver spoiled me. I can't drink Coors or any of that other cheep stuff.

5. Default Re: Beer

^^^^^^^
    If you can't find good Oklahoma brews, you're not trying very hard. And Fat Tire isn't as good today as it was before NB expanded production a decade or so ago. Honestly I think beers like Native Amber and 12th Round give Fat Tire all it wants.

6. Default Re: Beer

I will look for those beers. When I first moved here for the first time they said that Shiner Bock was a good alt, I found it watered down.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    ^^^^^^^
    If you can't find good Oklahoma brews, you're not trying very hard. And Fat Tire isn't as good today as it was before NB expanded production a decade or so ago. Honestly I think beers like Native Amber and 12th Round give Fat Tire all it wants.
    Completely agree with this. I rarely drink anything non-local these days.

Was at the neighborhood beer shop earlier today and noticed a can with a tornado on it and decided to check it out. Picked it up and sure enough said made in OKC on it. Had to give it a shot.

Cheers from the Big O!

I didn't know you could get COOP beers in other states. Its good to see them expanding. It's amazing beer and something I've always thought I would really miss if I left OKC.

Stella is the best beer period...

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
    Stella is the best beer period...
    It's a little lighter than my usual preference, but very refreshing and palate cleansing. Good beer.

12. Default Re: Beer

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
    Stella is the best beer period...*
    *for you

Fixed that for ya.

13. Default Re: Beer

I didn't know you could get COOP beers in other states. Its good to see them expanding. It's amazing beer and something I've always thought I would really miss if I left OKC.
    Yeah, they're also in (at least) Kansas, Arkansas and Missouri. They have long-term plans to distribute in Texas but will have to upgrade production capacity again first.

^^^^^^ I hope the expansion does not compromise the quality, ala New Belgium.

Quote Originally Posted by Chadanth View Post
    It's a little lighter than my usual preference, but very refreshing and palate cleansing. Good beer.
    A little skunky smell which seems to be par for beer shipped long distance in green bottles. Similar bouquet to little sister Heineken. The taste does not share the smell but I find it very underwhelming.

Quick question.

For those who have had New Belgium 1554 (I always make it a point to get a six pack of it when I go to Texas or Arkansas), what Oklahoma beer would you recommend that compares closely to it?

Speaking of New Belgium, Fat Tire may be coming to Oklahoma...but it won't be the real version.

New Belgium Will Sell 3.2 Percent Fat Tire in Bottles and Cans | Westword

18. Default Re: Beer

Not sure if you'll find a comparable Oklahoma brew. I'm not aware of a state-brewed black lager. Most lagers here are brewed as lowest-common denominator switch beers. The better-quality brewers here are expending most of their effort on hoppier stuff.

... The better-quality brewers here are expending most of their effort on hoppier stuff.
    That is one trend that needs to start tapering off and going away, I'm more of a dark beer guy (had a Leinie Xmas shandy and wife asked what was wrong with me 'cos she could see through my beer) and hate that massive hopping that is going on now (especially with beers that do not need massive hops, like a porter, yuuuuuuck).

Not sure if you'll find a comparable Oklahoma brew. I'm not aware of a state-brewed black lager. Most lagers here are brewed as lowest-common denominator switch beers. The better-quality brewers here are expending most of their effort on hoppier stuff.
    What is your favorite black lager available for sale in Oklahoma?

21. Default Re: Beer

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    That is one trend that needs to start tapering off and going away, I'm more of a dark beer guy (had a Leinie Xmas shandy and wife asked what was wrong with me 'cos she could see through my beer) and hate that massive hopping that is going on now (especially with beers that do not need massive hops, like a porter, yuuuuuuck).
    Well, I love true-to-style beers, but I don't mind experimentation, either. And I've grown to love hoppier beers, but still stop short of being a full-on always-IPA hop head. I've definitely switched to more of an ale drinker vs. lagers, but still love a great porter, an occasional stout or doppelbock (though they usually tend to be too sweet for my palate these days). I also love a good dunkelweizen from time to time. But OK brewers haven't really taken on German styles much.

22. Default Re: Beer

What is your favorite black lager available for sale in Oklahoma?
    Well, a couple of times I've had Rogue Dirtoir and really liked it, though I haven't seen it in too many stores. Full Sail Session Black is pretty good too. I haven't had the Samuel Adams Black Lager, but I've seen it in stores, and SA usually does a pretty good job, though I wouldn't rank it as one of my favorite breweries these days.

I don't really care that much about fat tire. Since the local/craft beer explosion it's kinda lost some its luster. It used to be one of only a handful of "good beers" in a sea of bud, throw in the I can't get it so now I want it even more effect it's pretty overrated in 2015. Also if we couldn't get Sam Adams in Oklahoma but could get fat tire, you'd hear everyone whining and talking about how they drive to Texas just to get some Oktoberfest.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    I don't really care that much about fat tire. Since the local/craft beer explosion it's kinda lost some its luster. It used to be one of only a handful of "good beers" in a sea of bud, throw in the I can't get it so now I want it even more effect it's pretty overrated in 2015. Also if we couldn't get Sam Adams in Oklahoma but could get fat tire, you'd hear everyone whining and talking about how they drive to Texas just to get some Oktoberfest.
    I do agree on Fat Tire. I like New Belgium beers but Fat Tire isn't one of my favorites. As for Oktoberfest, Anthem and COOP's take on it are way better than Sam Adams in my opinion.

I do agree on Fat Tire. I like New Belgium beers but Fat Tire isn't one of my favorites. As for Oktoberfest, Anthem and COOP's take on it are way better than Sam Adams in my opinion.
    Anthem had major consistentcy problems this year.

I think there's just a I can't buy it here so now I want it even more effect with NB. Once it gets here it'll be just like Sierra Nevada or Sam Adams. They make great beers, but it'll lose some of its omg NB luster.

Thread Information