Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Optional License Plate Design

Default New Optional License Plate Design

These are pretty cool.

OKLAHOMA CITY — Oklahoma is coming out with new license plates.

The new plates will celebrate the Sooner State’s first flag and its official motto: “Labor Omnia Vincit.”

The motto translates to “Work conquers all.”

The first flag was created in 1911 and consisted of a white star in the middle of a red field. The star was outlined in blue and had a blue “46” in the middle – significant of Oklahoma being the 46th state.

- New license plates honor Oklahoma history | KFOR.com

Default Re: New Optional License Plate Design

Might be time for me to get a new plate.

Those are pretty cool.

oh, yeah... that design rocks. -M

I want that on my truck!

cool, but are they still going to have that stupid requirement that to get a special plate you still have to have a regular one as well?

I like the design. I've got personalized tags on most of my cars, that have some smartass comment or saying. Pretty sure you won't have the option to choose what the text says.....but the design/colorway of this particular plate is pretty cool. Might have to try one out.

[QUOTE=pahdz;917177]cool, but are they still going to have that stupid requirement that to get a special plate you still have to have a regular one as well?[/QUOTE
    I thought that was just for vanity plates. I think you can choose to just have this as your standard plate.. but I don't know for sure.

[QUOTE=Bullbear;917190]
    Quote Originally Posted by pahdz View Post
    cool, but are they still going to have that stupid requirement that to get a special plate you still have to have a regular one as well?[/QUOTE
    I thought that was just for vanity plates. I think you can choose to just have this as your standard plate.. but I don't know for sure.
    They require them for the Thunder plates, so I just assumed it was like that for all non-standard plates.

This is pretty cool... From worldlicenceplates.com:

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

I'm kinda partial to that 82-88 design! The 76' Centennial tag is also cool. (Although there weren't many, if any cars built in 76' that were worth a damn)

A 74' plate is pretty rare to find.....as the plate factory that built Oklahoma tags (prison) burned down before they went into production. So, they had to use provisionary plates, and offered stickers in late 73/74 (as noted by 74' sticker in the lower right hand corner of the tag.)

I can't remember the exact years...but If I recall, back in like 66 thru 69..the Oklahoma license plates alternated every year, between black/Orange for OSU.....and Red/White for OU. And then one of the fan bases got butt hurt, and they put a stop to it. There is actually a lot of cool history in regards to license plates. Obviously its more interesting for some..than others...for me, I like it because I like to have a period correct license plate when I restore an old car. Ive attached a link below, that explains some of the intricacies of Oklahoma plates over the years....

History of Oklahoma License Plates

Really haven't been a fan of the newest plates, it's so hard to see what's going on from a normal driving distance.
    I do like the 46 plate's colors and designs. Not huge on the motto being there.

still like the plate's design but couldn't help myself...

14. Default Re: New Optional License Plate Design

That's fantastic. Hoping they will make them for motorcycles too.

Do OK plates still use the county prefixes?

I always liked that you could tell where a car was from by the first 2-3 letters on the plate.

I always liked that you could tell where a car was from by the first 2-3 letters on the plate.
    i liked that, too... i might be wrong, but i didn't think that convention exists any longer. -M

17. Default Re: New Optional License Plate Design

Not sure if they still do. Kansas always took that a step further by putting actual abbreviations for the county on the plate. For decades they were stamped, and then they became stickers in an upper corner, with the other corner getting a COMBO month/year sticker instead of just the year on one side and month on the other. Not sure if they are still doing this, but they were doing so until a very few years ago, at least. This tag would have been from Harvey County (HV), while places like Wichita would show SG (Sedgwick) and Kansas City would show JO (Johnson):

^

Oklahoma used county abbreviations as well, with the exceptions of Oklahoma (started with X or Y) and Tulsa (Z).

In the image above, GF is Garfield County, etc.:

Oklahoma - county codes

19. Default Re: New Optional License Plate Design

Huh...I never realized that our tags had country prefixes, but in truth, I've never really thought much about my tags. Now I'm going to be noticing all the different prefixes.

As for the design...I guess I could take it or leave it. I'm not a big fan, but I'm not going to get bent out of shape over it.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonk View Post
    Huh...I never realized that our tags had country prefixes, but in truth, I've never really thought much about my tags. Now I'm going to be noticing all the different prefixes.

As for the design...I guess I could take it or leave it. I'm not a big fan, but I'm not going to get bent out of shape over it.
    county prefixes were used in the past, not currently. and the design is a special plate design you have to order, it won't be the general plate design.

and according to the order form, looks like it will be a while before it gets manufactured:
    Before the license plates can be ordered or manufactured, the Oklahoma Tax Commission must have 100 prepaid applications
    on file by May 1, 2016. If an insufficient number of applications are received by that date, all application fees
    will be refunded. Once a plate is approved for issuance, please allow 6 to 8 months for processing.

P
    Quote Originally Posted by Filthy View Post
    I'm kinda partial to that 82-88 design! The 76' Centennial tag is also cool. (Although there weren't many, if any cars built in 76' that were worth a damn)

A 74' plate is pretty rare to find.....as the plate factory that built Oklahoma tags (prison) burned down before they went into production. So, they had to use provisionary plates, and offered stickers in late 73/74 (as noted by 74' sticker in the lower right hand corner of the tag.)

I can't remember the exact years...but If I recall, back in like 66 thru 69..the Oklahoma license plates alternated every year, between black/Orange for OSU.....and Red/White for OU. And then one of the fan bases got butt hurt, and they put a stop to it. There is actually a lot of cool history in regards to license plates. Obviously its more interesting for some..than others...for me, I like it because I like to have a period correct license plate when I restore an old car. Ive attached a link below, that explains some of the intricacies of Oklahoma plates over the years....

History of Oklahoma License Plates
    There were some '74 plates that made it into circulation, although very few. ... On the very rare occasion that you may come across one, they are expensive if for sale. I have all of the stamped dated Okla plates pictured above, and I found a guy that had a '74 full plate, but I couldn't part with the $100 bill he wanted for it.

The month sticker in the upper left corner reflects county and expiration month. Mine has CL-12

If I see this right before 1979 you had to get a new physical license plate every year. That seems like a waste. Also, since there's no month designation would that mean every car owner in the state had to get it in December. I bet that was a heck of a log jam. Interesting photo for sure.

Yes, you had to get a new plate every year until they introduced the sticker program. My grandmother had her old plates hung on the wall of her garage going back to the 50's as I recall. I think the practical reality was there really wasn't the reliable technology for something as novel as the stickers for annual renewal, and the plates were so cheap to produce back then nothing else was economically sensible.

25. Default Re: New Optional License Plate Design

How can we get these? Extra fee involved? I hate the current plates. They are just ugly.

Thread Information