Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Driving Forward OK - Oklahoma Turnpike Improvements and New Construction

Default Re: Driving Forward OK - Oklahoma Turnpike Improvements and New Construction

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    How is that? Our highway designs suck. Even the future interchanges are going to be half-assed.
    Our overall highway system is excellent as it currently is, it's just the interchanges that aren't well planned.

I think the turnpike improvements will be good. (But i honestly am torn on the east turnpike, I'm not sure how needed that one is). But we definitely need to finish the west loop.

Default Re: Driving Forward OK - Oklahoma Turnpike Improvements and New Construction

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Our overall highway system is excellent as it currently is, it's just the interchanges that aren't well planned.

I think the turnpike improvements will be good. (But i honestly am torn on the east turnpike, I'm not sure how needed that one is). But we definitely need to finish the west loop.
    Capacity is pretty good for a city of 1.4 million. I will agree with you on that. But my main gripe is as you said, interchanges and things like left hand exits, lack of HOV lanes, poorly designed on/off ramps, no merging room, etc.

HOV lanes will be great for OKC, especially on I35 coming in from Norman - Moore area and the Broadway Extension, heck even I 40 in west OKC will be great for it.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by theparkman81 View Post
    HOV lanes will be great for OKC, especially on I35 coming in from Norman - Moore area and the Broadway Extension, heck even I 40 in west OKC will be great for it.
    I don't think you're likely to see HOV lanes on I-35 in the metro area. There was an interview with the ODOT leader that said I-35 had been expanded to its max between Norman and OKC and it couldn't be widened further.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Brasky View Post
    I don't think you're likely to see HOV lanes on I-35 in the metro area. There was an interview with the ODOT leader that said I-35 had been expanded to its max between Norman and OKC and it couldn't be widened further.
    That is complete BS. Not your statement, but the fact that they are trying to say that. I-35 has room to be 40 lanes if they wanted it to. ODOT just uses cheap lines to make it look like they are doing all they can do.

They try and use these lines also when saying we can't build flyovers because there isn't any room when other cities somehow are able to do it.

Like I said, a good temporary solution would be to remove the left hand shoulder on I-35 from downtown OKC to Norman and paint in an HOV and add a foot or so of cement on the right hand shoulder being that the right lane will likely have to be moved over an inch or so. You basically just repaint the lanes to have 3 regular lanes and one HOV lane in each direction at the expense of the left shoulder.

HangryHippo Guest

That is complete BS. Not your statement, but the fact that they are trying to say that. I-35 has room to be 40 lanes if they wanted it to. ODOT just uses cheap lines to make it look like they are doing all they can do.

They try and use these lines also when saying we can't build flyovers because there isn't any room when other cities somehow are able to do it.

Like I said, a good temporary solution would be to remove the left hand shoulder on I-35 from downtown OKC to Norman and paint in an HOV and add a foot or so of cement on the right hand shoulder.
    I'm trying to find the article where I saw the quote. IMO, this just highlights the need for a regional rail system or some type of better mass transit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Brasky View Post
    I'm trying to find the article where I saw the quote. IMO, this just highlights the need for a regional rail system or some type of better mass transit.
    I'm not trying to say you were lying. I meant that if the leader said that he is full of sh!t.

I do fully agree we need a functional regional mass transit system. We needed it yesterday.

8. Default Re: Driving Forward OK - Oklahoma Turnpike Improvements and New Construction

Like I said, a good temporary solution would be to remove the left hand shoulder on I-35 from downtown OKC to Norman and paint in an HOV and add a foot or so of cement on the right hand shoulder being that the right lane will likely have to be moved over an inch or so. You basically just repaint the lanes to have 3 regular lanes and one HOV lane in each direction at the expense of the left shoulder.
    Or they could build up. Stack the highway to 6 lanes each stack. Make one HOV, one a rail shuttle from OKC to Moore to Norman, and the others for regular traffic.

I-35 has room to be 40 lanes if they wanted it to.
    I want what you're smoking.

^ All it takes is money. I-44 in Tulsa was just as built up along as I-35, yet they managed to expand it, over like 35 years.

Quote Originally Posted by tfvc.org View Post
    Or they could build up. Stack the highway to 6 lanes each stack. Make one HOV, one a rail shuttle from OKC to Moore to Norman, and the others for regular traffic.
    Seriously???? GO look at the cost of the LBJ rebuild, then come back to this forum and see how that cost could be justified on I35.

12. Default Re: Driving Forward OK - Oklahoma Turnpike Improvements and New Construction

Quote Originally Posted by rte66man View Post
    Seriously???? GO look at the cost of the LBJ rebuild, then come back to this forum and see how that cost could be justified on I35.
    It is just as costly as a 40 lane rebuild.

Are we being for real? I never suggest the highway be widened to 40 lanes.

As for the LBJ project, they are about to start on another portion of it. That is a beautiful piece of infrastructure but I do not see a single person saying they should start on that right now for I-35.

Quote Originally Posted by theparkman81 View Post
    Spending money on HOV lanes for about two hours worth of stop-and-go commuter traffic (7:15-8A and 4:30-5:30) in OKC isn't warranted. Besides it's for vehicles with more than one person, and everywhere I look on my commute most vehicles have one person, just like me. Someplace like Dallas, on the other hand, I was there this past weekend and utilized a dedicated HOV lane from Plano all the way around to I35 on a newly completed toll HOV freeway actually under LBJ freeway -- it was incredibly awesome! But even at 2PM on Saturday, the interstates there were bumper to bumper like our rush hours here. Incredibly warranted there.

They are hosting a public meeting to unveil plans for the Eastern Loop. Seems like this is their biggest priority so far in the entire plan and they are really eager to get this going. I am as well. Will be nice to see it under construction and even nicer to have it as an option.

Driving Forward OK

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    Spending money on HOV lanes for about two hours worth of stop-and-go commuter traffic (7:15-8A and 4:30-5:30) in OKC isn't warranted. Besides it's for vehicles with more than one person, and everywhere I look on my commute most vehicles have one person, just like me. Someplace like Dallas, on the other hand, I was there this past weekend and utilized a dedicated HOV lane from Plano all the way around to I35 on a newly completed toll HOV freeway actually under LBJ freeway -- it was incredibly awesome! But even at 2PM on Saturday, the interstates there were bumper to bumper like our rush hours here. Incredibly warranted there.
    A lot of HOV lanes are only for certain hours. The rest of the day they are open to all cars.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    A lot of HOV lanes are only for certain hours. The rest of the day they are open to all cars.
    A lot of people don't seem to know that and keep using the regular lanes. Better for people who do know.

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    The existence of HOV lanes does also encourage carpooling, which can help to reduce the amount of traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    The existence of HOV lanes does also encourage carpooling, which can help to reduce the amount of traffic.
    Yeah, isn't that the whole point of HOV lanes? Give people a big incentive to carpool, and they do.

As a daily Kilpatrick Turnpike user, I would like to see some of this bond money spent on a southbound Broadway Extension flyover to eastbound Kilpatrick as well as a northbound Lake Hefner Parkway flyover to westbound Kilpatrick. Right now you to make the first movement you have to (as per the signage on the road!) exit NW 122nd, go through all the stop signs and ramps to get back onto NB Broadway Ext to take the exit ramp to EB Kilpatrick. I know back in the day the traffic counts may not have warranted those ramps, but now surely they do. But over the years I've always thought those were the stupidest deals, not taking care of all necessary traffic movements when building.

They need to completely rebuild the Broadway Ext. Kilpatrick interchange from the ground up building a 5 stack(for future HOV lanes) and one way service roads that go through the interchange as well.

It is insane you have to exit the highway to get on another one here.

It is insane how poorly the interchanges are designed in OKC. Not to mention how many interchanges are just straight up omitted.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    It is insane how poorly the interchanges are designed in OKC. Not to mention how many interchanges are just straight up omitted.
    Absolutely! If I use the Kilpatrick and am getting off an exit that I haven't used before, I should *never* have to look at a map to see if I can get back on there.

OTA is having a meeting Tuesday, 23 Feb at Mustang Town Center Great Room from 6-8pm. I am guessing this is for the Southwest Extension. I received the notification from the Mustang Chamber of Commerce via email. I have not yet seen any notice of this meeting from OTA's website.

Thread Information