Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Driving Forward OK - Oklahoma Turnpike Improvements and New Construction

Default Re: Driving Forward OK - Oklahoma Turnpike Improvements and New Construction

I agree with macfoucin, at least as far as the SW Loop goes. The Kilpatrick extension really needs to connect down to OK-4/Sara Rd, or replace it all the way to the HE Bailey Spur. That would make it an actually effective loop.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Driving Forward OK - Oklahoma Turnpike Improvements and New Construction

But then they could charge tolls for 7 miles :-P

Well, yeah... These projects are all OTA projects. Ergo, they'll be charging tolls on these new roads.

I'm hoping the SW Loop is going to alleviate some of the congestion on Mustang road. The Mustang Rd exit traffic on I-40 and southbound Mustang road traffic can get ridiculous in rush hour
    Last edited by gurantula35; 11-04-2015 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Wrong interstate

Quote Originally Posted by gurantula35 View Post
    I'm hoping the SW Loop is going to alleviate some of the congestion on Mustang road. The Mustang Rd exit traffic on I-35 and southbound Mustang road traffic can get ridiculous in rush hour
    Do you mean I-40? I would assume that It wold alivate some of that. I am curious to see where they decide to put entrances/exits for the new turnpike segment. I feel like they will need at least one between the connecting points but none of the roads between them have an intersection that could handle the potential increase in traffic.

6. Default Re: Driving Forward OK - Oklahoma Turnpike Improvements and New Construction

Well one thing I can say about the east loop, is that it does not do anything for anyone on a commute. If it goes far enough south to hit Norman-ish, then you'll at least get a good bypass for through traffic, but that's about it. It's too far east (by about half it's distance from 35) to make it helpful for anyone on a daily basis. At least the west side loop puts it in commute range for Mustang and Yukon folks. But they better not touch airport rd and try to slap some toll anyone on that sucker!!!! That's touching my FREE commuter road right there LOL. But seriously, the east loop is so far out east, that it can't' help but turn into a sprawl enticer. It's faster to commute when you build further out, near the turnpike, then build in a few more miles and half to travel to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Well one thing I can say about the east loop, is that it does not do anything for anyone on a commute. If it goes far enough south to hit Norman-ish, then you'll at least get a good bypass for through traffic, but that's about it. It's too far east (by about half it's distance from 35) to make it helpful for anyone on a daily basis. At least the west side loop puts it in commute range for Mustang and Yukon folks. But they better not touch airport rd and try to slap some toll anyone on that sucker!!!! That's touching my FREE commuter road right there LOL. But seriously, the east loop is so far out east, that it can't' help but turn into a sprawl enticer. It's faster to commute when you build further out, near the turnpike, then build in a few more miles and half to travel to the road.
    I see them tying into airport RD at council or McArthur and making the turnpike an exit/entrance ramp. inbetween Council and McArthur would be plausible for this as there is empty field to the west of the turn there.

Just remember, every congested lane today was built to relieve congestion. When does the dog stop chasing its tail? I would have thought it was when it finally figured out it couldn't catch it.

More capacity doesn't reduce congestion - less driving does.

Quote Originally Posted by camrun91 View Post
    Do you mean I-40? I would assume that It wold alivate some of that. I am curious to see where they decide to put entrances/exits for the new turnpike segment. I feel like they will need at least one between the connecting points but none of the roads between them have an intersection that could handle the potential increase in traffic.
    yes, I-40. sorry. i corrected it with an Edit

One thing is for certain. If the same people that are in charge of road and turnpike planning are in charge of this project, it will not do any good. Having lived in other progressive cities, OKC metro area is joke and they need to maybe travel to other cities to see how to do things correctly. Worst planners in the US reside right here in this hole.

11. Default Re: Driving Forward OK - Oklahoma Turnpike Improvements and New Construction

You have to be kidding. "Progressive" cities like Austin which is building toll roads like crazy? "Progressive" cities like LA and Charlotte and Orlando and Dallas and Atlanta and Denver? OKC actually has a pretty good highway system. Far better than many "progressive" cities that have far worse traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by cbing04 View Post
    One thing is for certain. If the same people that are in charge of road and turnpike planning are in charge of this project, it will not do any good. Having lived in other progressive cities, OKC metro area is joke and they need to maybe travel to other cities to see how to do things correctly. Worst planners in the US reside right here in this hole.
    I don't even know what progressive means in this context. Progressive when it comes to highway development, progressive when it comes to urban design, progressive when it comes to having a lot of liberals...?

13. Default Re: Driving Forward OK - Oklahoma Turnpike Improvements and New Construction

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    You have to be kidding. "Progressive" cities like Austin which is building toll roads like crazy? "Progressive" cities like LA and Charlotte and Orlando and Dallas and Atlanta and Denver? OKC actually has a pretty good highway system. Far better than many "progressive" cities that have far worse traffic.
    Totally agree. You'll find that most states are building toll roads these days. And remember, this is a STATE issue, not a City. It has absolutely zero, nothing, nada, to do with the city. The state is building these through the turnpike authority. Last time I checked, cities weren't in the business of building highways.

I don't get the 'progressive' angle either, especially if your frame of reference is other US cities. Outside of the US, China, and some wanabe 3rd world countries - no one in the world is building new highway capacity on a sustantial scale.

Quote Originally Posted by cbing04 View Post
    Oklahoma City has a much more extensive highway infrastructure than most cities its size. If anything is done poorly around here, I would say its the interchanges. They need to be rebuilt and stacked like TxDOT does. The highways themselves are just about right for the capacity that they handle. The only place I think widening is absolutely necessary is on I-235 going northbound into the I-235/I-44 interchange. These new highways, especially the eastern bypass, are unnecessary and will only encourage further sprawl.

16. Default Re: Driving Forward OK - Oklahoma Turnpike Improvements and New Construction

Possible route of the Kirkpatrick extension?
    FYI, the red route was just a joke route I drew for a friend that goes over his home. But the yellow doesn't see too far-fetched.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KilpatrickExtension.JPG 
Views:	226 
Size:	342.3 KB 
ID:	11757

*Edit*
    Oops, just saw this post. Never mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by cxl144 View Post
    Attachment 11720

This would be my best guess as the the general route the extension will take. They only need about 300 feet of width to run this. Once my contacts get plans in hand, I'm sure I can provide more information.

17. Default Re: Driving Forward OK - Oklahoma Turnpike Improvements and New Construction

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    I don't get the 'progressive' angle either, especially if your frame of reference is other US cities. Outside of the US, China, and some wanabe 3rd world countries - no one in the world is building new highway capacity on a sustantial scale.
    Mostly because their urban systems are already pretty much complete. However, remember DFW just completed several B.illion dollars of toll road construction while building a light rail system. Also note other B.illions are being spent to widen and repair existing highways all over the country so construction is going on everywhere. As for everyone's contention on the east county road, I also have some qualms. At the same time there should have been a spur to run east and west along one of the main roads to connect with I-35. East OK County has always been neglected in the access department. The arguement can be made that east OK County can benefit from the economic development highways can bring.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Oklahoma City has a much more extensive highway infrastructure than most cities its size. If anything is done poorly around here, I would say its the interchanges. They need to be rebuilt and stacked like TxDOT does. The highways themselves are just about right for the capacity that they handle. The only place I think widening is absolutely necessary is on I-235 going northbound into the I-235/I-44 interchange. These new highways, especially the eastern bypass, are unnecessary and will only encourage further sprawl.
    They are in the middle of a phased redesign/reconstruction on that junction (and widening 235 to six lanes), kind of bizarrely though there is like a two or three year gap between when the last work they did on it was completed and the next step they are doing on it.

Please someone make HWY 9 through Norman up to interstate standards...

20. Default Re: Driving Forward OK - Oklahoma Turnpike Improvements and New Construction

Quote Originally Posted by zachj7 View Post
    One major thing to help that would be to remove the lighted crossings. Elevate those crossings and make a frontage if you need to....there's PLENTY room to do it. and that connection needs to flow seamlessly into 35, not stop at a light before the transition.

I often thought the same thing about Sooner Rd....

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    One major thing to help that would be to remove the lighted crossings. Elevate those crossings and make a frontage if you need to....there's PLENTY room to do it. and that connection needs to flow seamlessly into 35, not stop at a light before the transition.

I often thought the same thing about Sooner Rd....
    It would make a lot of sense to do more of these targeted improvements, rather than building whole new freeways we DON'T need...

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    It would make a lot of sense to do more of these targeted improvements, rather than building whole new freeways we DON'T need...
    It's not a freeway, Spartan. It's a turnpike. That is obviously much different. LOL

Let's not. It's already pathetic how unwalkable Norman is for a college town. Didn't realize it then because it felt normal, but sure would've been nice to live in a college town where you could walk places. It's more possible to do that in OKC than Norman now.

24. Default Re: Driving Forward OK - Oklahoma Turnpike Improvements and New Construction

Quote Originally Posted by no1cub17 View Post
    Let's not. It's already pathetic how unwalkable Norman is for a college town. Didn't realize it then because it felt normal, but sure would've been nice to live in a college town where you could walk places. It's more possible to do that in OKC than Norman now.
    Updating it to highway standards would not make it any less walkable than it is now. If 9 is elevated at intersections then people can still walk under like 240 is, also that part of Norman is outside of where people would normally walk anyway. It isn't like we are trying to make Lindsey or Boyd a highway.

I do not think I have traveled on it anything but game days near kickoff/ending, what is it's normal traffic like? Do they do light synchronization on it through Norman?

Thread Information