Widgets Magazine
Page 29 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2425262728293031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Driving Forward OK - Oklahoma Turnpike Improvements and New Construction

Default Re: Driving Forward OK - Oklahoma Turnpike Improvements and New Construction

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    I also think we should use some money for these types of traffic improvements. The city and OTA need to come together and come up with options on how to improve the corridor together.
    Edmond has spent millions on an "Intelligent Transportation System" and its been in play for almost three years along 2nd Street from I-35 to Santa Fe.

https://edmondok.com/926/Intelligent...tation-Systems

However, the other problem still arises as it does along Memorial Road, there are simply too many vehicles at certain times of the day on road infrastructure that was never designed to handle the vehicle count. Often Dallas is brought up as an example of road design, Memorial Road and Kilpatrick would benefit even from something like Kellogg Avenue in Wichita that divides the city in half and has a plethora of turn-abouts and on-off ramps to aid in traffic flow.

Default Re: Driving Forward OK - Oklahoma Turnpike Improvements and New Construction

https://kfor.com/2019/04/22/major-ch...rner-turnpike/

Why can't they build it like the Will Rodgers mid way?

Quote Originally Posted by sgt. pepper View Post
    https://kfor.com/2019/04/22/major-ch...rner-turnpike/

Why can't they build it like the Will Rodgers mid way?
    Probably something to do with cost. There was already a Chandler stop, sounds like their just enlarging that one and physically cutting off access for eastbound traffic to Stroud stop. The article didn't specify if they are also moving westbound traffic so that Stroud stop sits to the north of turnpike.

The way it reads is that the westbound interstate will not curve to the right and will continue straight through the south portion of the rest stop.

I also don’t understand how this will supposedly save people money like in the article.

This idea sounds good to me. Two separate areas one for east and one for west. It allows for uninterrupted fast lane travel

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    The way it reads is that the westbound interstate will not curve to the right and will continue straight through the south portion of the rest stop.

I also don’t understand how this will supposedly save people money like in the article.
    I guess it's not really about saving money. Makes sense now if their removing a dangerous curve. Its about a quarter mile of new road.

The new eastbound service plaza is not where the old one is:

For those who are interested, the plans are at:
    https://pikepass.com/pdf/T-MC-128A%2...0912153334.pdf

It’s about that one sees bites the dust. She’s served well but is outdated. I’m surprised they kept that one this long.

I hope they design these with a six lane expansion of the mainline in mind.

After they finish six-laning the Tulsa-to-Bristow portion they're planning on six-laning Bristow to OKC, or at least that was my understanding. I can't remember the timeline, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by jompster View Post
    After they finish six-laning the Tulsa-to-Bristow portion they're planning on six-laning Bristow to OKC, or at least that was my understanding. I can't remember the timeline, sorry.
    Thank you for the update. Will there be lighting included? That would be cool if so. Much like how the I-90 Illinois tollway has become an icon for a six lane urban turnpike with lighting in rural areas. It’s a cool sight to see.

There is street lighting from the Bristow interchange to Tulsa, so I am hopeful there will be street lighting down to OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by jompster View Post
    Forget OKC to Bristow, they need to make it 6 lanes from Sapulpa to I-244, then ODOT needs to expand I-244 from 4 to 6 lanes from the I-44 interchange to the Okmulgee Expressway.

I believe widening the turnpike from Sapulpa to I-244 is the next phase of the current construction project.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    I believe widening the turnpike from Sapulpa to I-244 is the next phase of the current construction project.
    the next phase is 3 lanes each direction from the creek turnpike exit to the end of the turnpike

Aerials from a few weeks ago showing progress on the west and east sections of the turnpike extensions.

How did you get the latest aerials to show up on the County Assessor page. They had a blurb about it but I couldn't figure out where to go as there was no hyperlink.

Sara Road bridge opened over I-40 the other day.

I’m ready for this to open. It will be a detour to drive home to the deer creek area from near the airport, but I think it will save some time by avoiding the bottlenecks on I-44.

Aerial video tracks progress of the east turnpike:

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=483991112408315

Looks like the north and south ends are a lot further along than the middle. I saw no evidence of any work on the North Canadian River bridge.

What's the timeline for completion of the new turnpikes? They're making a lot of progress on the Kilpatrick Turnpike extension, so I would think it would be up and running within a year.

HangryHippo Guest

I'm curious about the Kilpatrick extension as well. Any idea of an approximate completion date for that?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I'm curious about the Kilpatrick extension as well. Any idea of an approximate completion date for that?
    Drove up Sara Road yesterday so I could check out the progress. The intersection at SW29th is barely 30% finished. It looks like the piers for the Sara Road overpass were just completed. No beams have been placed. Based on that and what I saw in other places, they will be lucky to be done by Labor Day.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rte66man View Post
    Drove up Sara Road yesterday so I could check out the progress. The intersection at SW29th is barely 30% finished. It looks like the piers for the Sara Road overpass were just completed. No beams have been placed. Based on that and what I saw in other places, they will be lucky to be done by Labor Day.
    Thanks for the update, rte66.

I can see the bridge from my house going over County Line for the Kirkpatrick Turnpike. It is taking forever to complete the bridge. They are about 10 months in and still not complete.

Thread Information