Widgets Magazine
Page 28 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2324252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Driving Forward OK - Oklahoma Turnpike Improvements and New Construction

Default Re: Driving Forward OK - Oklahoma Turnpike Improvements and New Construction

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    OTA is getting closer to finishing to SW Kilpatrick Extension:
    OkDOT needs to get on the ball with building multiple new freeways in OKC including an extension of DR. WK Jackson(I-44) to the future EOC and rerouting I-44 off of I-35. With these projects and a citywide BRT/Light-rail system, OKC could position itself to immune to major traffic issues many major metros have found themselves in. The city is blessed to have built virtually every major freeway it wanted with the exception of the Sooner Freeway, hopefully they stay ahead of the curve.
    NW Expressway. I could never figure out why that didn't become a freeway as they reserved large chunks of ROW for interchanges.

Default Re: Driving Forward OK - Oklahoma Turnpike Improvements and New Construction

Quote Originally Posted by rte66man View Post
    NW Expressway. I could never figure out why that didn't become a freeway as they reserved large chunks of ROW for interchanges.
    I think could OkDOT still has time to preserve ROW for a freeway conversion on NWE northwest of Kilpatrick. At this point I just wish Northwest Expressway would be converted into more of an expressway for cars and less of a city street. With the transfer of the facility to the city of Oklahoma City, that prospect doesn't look good. Grade separated interchanges at most mile marker roads would be super beneficial with the removal of all other lights and U turns added half mile.

I would still like to see 39th "Expressway" converted to a below grade freeway and there is room to make it work with a cut and cover through downtown Bethany which could be a catalyst for development in the area having a new capped park and increased mobility, the only issue would come about around Lake Overholser which has homes and businesses that would have to go and on top of that there is an environmentally sensitive area which would make the dream all the more harder to bring to reality. That project would likely be in the billions.

A couple other things I'd like to see that are almost certainly not happening is the Sooner freeway revived to Norman as an I-35 relief route which could be OKC's version of the North Dallas Tollway which is crammed tightly through residential areas. Look at the street if neighborhood access is modified it seems the hardest parts would be requiring a lot of room for an interchange at I-40 which on top of all of the other hard squeezes would all but surely kill this project. Then you have residential development at I-240 would likely stop even a modest upgrade of six lanes from happening let alone a freeway.

Then I would also like to see a freeway between Canadian River and SH-37.

Though even without those crazy ideas, you could still stand to be prepared if the city would get on the ball with better planning efforts. I don't see OKC ever becoming as transit oriented as some posters here think it will and the city could run into some serious traffic problems down the road if the city continues to sprawl with no planning for freeway facilities. Red tape and high housing prices has made the old glory days of just ringing in the bulldozers to make way a thing of the past. The larger cities like Seattle and Boston have made other cities wary about going through with complex facilities found in Europe and many other places where building large freeway tunnels through urban areas is common. The monetary cost is high, but well worth it, IMO. I don't think we'll even be seeing something the LBJ expansion complexity in OKC for awhile. We still don't even have a five stack whereas Amarillo seems to be getting two, IIRC.

From what I have heard they wanted to leave the option open in the future but did not have the money to build it as a freeway at the time and there was never anyone with the political clout pushing hard for it to be constructed that way. After that though in some ways it probably gets more difficult to happen, since it has been constructed there have been more projects in need of funding than there is transportation funding and now there probably local groups that will push back against the conversion even if we had the money and nothing higher priority than it.

I really wish OKC would consider a serious investment in North West Expressway.

True rapid transit light-rail(NOT A F#*$*#NG STREETCAR!!!) which would be double tracked and grade separated in many areas. Normally I'd call for entire grade separation but I don't think the city is anywhere close to warranting that yet. I'd have this run from downtown running from the Santa Fe Station which would be an elevated platform going to Reno which would loose two lanes and continue to Classen. Then it would follow roughly along Classen grade separated in high trafficked taking a lane of Classen in each direction then going down NWE with major stops at Penn Square/Penn Central(future development) to Baptist Hospital. The rail ends there with a future expansion down NWE when warranted.

Then continue with BRT down NWE to Kilpatrick Turnpike. Preserve ROW north west of the toll road for a future expansion to a freeway. Remove almost every stop light where feasible and place u turn areas for local access. Unfortunately it's pretty tight so I don't lights being removed at mile marker roads but perhaps tolled flyovers over major intersections could be constructed as time goes that buses could use and motorist could pay a fee which could fund free BRT service.

5. Default Re: Driving Forward OK - Oklahoma Turnpike Improvements and New Construction

So what is the timeframe it looks like they will complete the SW extension to the Kilpatrick? It is coming along faster than I anticipated, but it doesn't exactly look close to open according to those images.

Quote Originally Posted by brianinok View Post
    So what is the timeframe it looks like they will complete the SW extension to the Kilpatrick? It is coming along faster than I anticipated, but it doesn't exactly look close to open according to those images.
    While sections of it will open at various times, if you're talking completely complete, I believe the timeline is next year.

Quote Originally Posted by brianinok View Post
    According to the project website the goal is to have every intitiave completed by 2021. I suspect the SW Kilpatrick Ext. will be open in 2020 as Stile said.

I think could OkDOT still has time to preserve ROW for a freeway conversion on NWE northwest of Kilpatrick. At this point I just wish Northwest Expressway would be converted into more of an expressway for cars and less of a city street. With the transfer of the facility to the city of Oklahoma City, that prospect doesn't look good. Grade separated interchanges at most mile marker roads would be super beneficial with the removal of all other lights and U turns added half mile.

I would still like to see 39th "Expressway" converted to a below grade freeway and there is room to make it work with a cut and cover through downtown Bethany which could be a catalyst for development in the area having a new capped park and increased mobility, the only issue would come about around Lake Overholser which has homes and businesses that would have to go and on top of that there is an environmentally sensitive area which would make the dream all the more harder to bring to reality. That project would likely be in the billions.

A couple other things I'd like to see that are almost certainly not happening is the Sooner freeway revived to Norman as an I-35 relief route which could be OKC's version of the North Dallas Tollway which is crammed tightly through residential areas. Look at the street if neighborhood access is modified it seems the hardest parts would be requiring a lot of room for an interchange at I-40 which on top of all of the other hard squeezes would all but surely kill this project. Then you have residential development at I-240 would likely stop even a modest upgrade of six lanes from happening let alone a freeway.

Then I would also like to see a freeway between Canadian River and SH-37.

Though even without those crazy ideas, you could still stand to be prepared if the city would get on the ball with better planning efforts. I don't see OKC ever becoming as transit oriented as some posters here think it will and the city could run into some serious traffic problems down the road if the city continues to sprawl with no planning for freeway facilities. Red tape and high housing prices has made the old glory days of just ringing in the bulldozers to make way a thing of the past. The larger cities like Seattle and Boston have made other cities wary about going through with complex facilities found in Europe and many other places where building large freeway tunnels through urban areas is common. The monetary cost is high, but well worth it, IMO. I don't think we'll even be seeing something the LBJ expansion complexity in OKC for awhile. We still don't even have a five stack whereas Amarillo seems to be getting two, IIRC.
    Dude, OKC doesn't have enough money to keep lane markings painted (there's probably 500 miles of streets in need of new lane striping), or to fix the thousands of potholes or hundreds of miles of massively beat up streets (Better Streets initiative goes a way towards this, but not enough, most likely). Most of the things you would like OKC to do will never, ever, ever happen, but keep dreaming, don't want to dissuade you from that, but it's just not practical...

^^^ trust me, I’m well aware.

OTA is getting closer to finishing to SW Kilpatrick Extension:

Note that the "JKT-2344 2018 Bridge Rehabilitation North CanadianRiver Bridges and Overflow Bridges " from my understanding is a reconstruction of those bridges and widening of Kilpatrick Turnpike to six lanes from I-40 to Rockwell where the current freeway narrows from six to four lanes.

I think the widening is to just north of the Canadian River from what i remember on the plans. Based on the project cost i don't imagine that will stretch all the way to Rockwell.

Quote Originally Posted by flyfisher07 View Post
    I think the widening is to just north of the Canadian River from what i remember on the plans. Based on the project cost i don't imagine that will stretch all the way to Rockwell.
    I had called in and they told me it was all the way to the Rockwell and I thought that seemed a bit much for 50 million. Maybe I misunderstood.

It's actually to MacArthur. If you look at what would need to be done, there are bridges just east of Council that would need to be widened as well bridges over NW 10th, 36th, 39th streets and NW Expressway. Add in about 11 miles of 2 new lanes and associated jersey barrier and I just can't see how they could do that for $50 million.

I’m rather skeptical about any widening but at this point I’m just going to wait to the end product. I suspect if the area isn’t widened it will be in the not so distant future.

It's actually to MacArthur. If you look at what would need to be done, there are bridges just east of Council that would need to be widened as well bridges over NW 10th, 36th, 39th streets and NW Expressway. Add in about 11 miles of 2 new lanes and associated jersey barrier and I just can't see how they could do that for $50 million.
    Any way to find out how much spend about 5 years ago when they widened from 35 to MacArthur?

At that cost it's a reasonable assumption that they have to redo grade and drainage as well.

16. Default Re: Driving Forward OK - Oklahoma Turnpike Improvements and New Construction

Quote Originally Posted by DowntownMan View Post
    Any way to find out how much spend about 5 years ago when they widened from 35 to MacArthur?
    But they DIDN'T widen it all the way to I-35, it only goes to Eastern/Boulevard. Why they didn't do the final 2.5 miles east to I-35 I don't know. Also, I don't know why there aren't on/off ramps at Bryant either.

After this SW Kilpatrick extension is completed my highest priority wish list will be reduced to Bryant Ave on/off ramps and a way to get from the SW Extension to I-44 at the HE Bailey Spur without getting on Airport Road and taking I-44 down to Newcastle. All my trips b/w Edmond and Lawton would be much easier. Of secondary priority is widening an non-widened part of the Kilpatrick.

Quote Originally Posted by DowntownMan View Post
    According to their website:

3/8/2012, a contract (JKT-2221) for $54,821,199.50 was awarded to a consortium headed by Duit Construction. It can be assumed this is the right one as there are no other contracts for the KIlpatrick for an amount large enought to have been it.

Details are no longer available on their website, but the work covered 8 miles (from Eastern west to MacArthur). Overpass widenings at Kelley, US77, Western, Penn, Portland, Meridian, and Bluff Creek plus essentially a complete rebuild of the BNSF overpass just west of Broadway Extension and the new center pier, beams and decking at the westbound JKT to southbound Hefner Parkway flyover. Full Jersey barrier the entire length, new lighting, new BGS's. I'm surprised all of this could be done for that amount. I will keep digging.

EDIT
    The Creek contract was awarded the same day for $58 million to Sherwood Construction. The Arkansas River bridges would be the reason for the difference.

18. Default Re: Driving Forward OK - Oklahoma Turnpike Improvements and New Construction

Taken 2/14. Looking SE towards I-40

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190214_082707.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	15158

The number one priority for the Kilpatrick is to fix the highway 74 interchange mess! I just don't understand why they make us go thru traffic lights!!...stupid, stupid, stupid! sorry for the rant.

Quote Originally Posted by sgt. pepper View Post
    The number one priority for the Kilpatrick is to fix the highway 74 interchange mess! I just don't understand why they make us go thru traffic lights!!...stupid, stupid, stupid! sorry for the rant.
    Absolutely right!

Agree. Also, when they were widening between Eastern and Rockwell why did they not do all the way to 35 and 40? The growth data was there to justify it.

With Paycom growth the city and turnpike need to fix this area or it will be traffic nightmare. They need to build in Cali uturns on the overpasses as well, so traffic can get to other side without lights. Memorial needs widened too. We had a chance to get ahead of growth yet chose not to. Paycom is a huge company and still growing. We need to protect it or maybe someday they decide city doesn’t care about their corp taxes. If workers can’t get in out of work that is quality of life to those people. If they see all the money spent on streetcar and downtown projects and no city help with basic road needs thats not good long term for business.

We need to address all these road issues before talking caps and aquariums and other pet projects. Paycom alone has what over 3,000 workers? Then the ripple jobs and businesses. And right now we have a turnpike right outside its doors yet it takes 15-20 minutes to get to it because of other roads lacking.

Roads are a huge problem here. Still waiting for many more needing resurfaced. No right turn lanes on most 4 lane roads either. Our road system is still a mess. Just wait til Costco opens and that road system is a mess too. Two large economic areas on other ends of turnpike and both are a mess. But you can go wait 20-30 minutes for a SC ride.

From what I've heard, this has been in the plan for sometime, but last year the engineer's estimate came in about 50% over budget so it had to be put on hold.

Yes, I avoid Memorial like the plague. I think just some simple light timing adjustments would greatly benefit each intersection along there. For example if you are waiting to turn left onto May from WB Memorial you will sit through a red light. Once it turns green and you finally get to turn left you get to stop again for all the EB Memorial traffic...and that's IF you get to turn because there's already a backup there because of the traffic that got stopped there from SB. Then you get to sit there and stare at the opposite traffic right there over the bridge because the opposite traffic is experiencing the same exact locked pattern. And this same exact scenario is at all of our highway/side road intersections in the city. I frequent NW Expressway and Hefner Parkway and you have to sit through both lights in order to proceed with your turn. When you have sat through a light waiting to turn left, once you finally go and you get to the other light on the other side of the bridge, it should be green for traffic to proceed not to come to another stop for another cycle. It's just insane! I also think that minor adjustments in traffic signals could take away some of the road rage that takes place. City traffic engineers need to simply go to the Dallas area to see how they manage their highway/side road intersections to see how some easy changes in the traffic lights will better keep traffic moving. Dallas has a heck of a lot of traffic but these intersections are not gridlocked.

Sorry for the rant, but traffic here has just made me so dang mad over the course of the 20 years I've lived here after moving here from the Dallas area. I also think we should use some money for these types of traffic improvements. The city and OTA need to come together and come up with options on how to improve the corridor together.

24. Default Re: Driving Forward OK - Oklahoma Turnpike Improvements and New Construction

Quote Originally Posted by OKC Guy View Post
    A
    With Paycom growth the city and turnpike need to fix this area or it will be traffic nightmare. They need to build in Cali uturns on the overpasses as well, so traffic can get to other side without lights. Memorial needs widened too. We had a chance to get ahead of growth yet chose not to. Paycom is a huge company and still growing. We need to protect it or maybe someday they decide city doesn’t care about their corp taxes. If workers can’t get in out of work that is quality of life to those people. If they see all the money spent on streetcar and downtown projects and no city help with basic road needs thats not good long term for business.
    You're right, but the Paycom folks have got it pretty good for now with traffic cops directing traffic for them when they get off work. It's frustrating for the rest of us though.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonk View Post
    You're right, but the Paycom folks have got it pretty good for now with traffic cops directing traffic for them when they get off work. It's frustrating for the rest of us though.
    They pay the cops to do this every day. At some point we have to invest in helping business out before some other city tried to pay for them moving. Thats the problem we knew it would be busy yet did nothing.

Thread Information