Widgets Magazine
Page 15 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Driving Forward OK - Oklahoma Turnpike Improvements and New Construction

1. Default Re: Driving Forward OK - Oklahoma Turnpike Improvements and New Construction

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Update on the NE OK County Tollway
    I'm for the blue alignment right now. It would be nice to see them directly connect with 240 one day.
    Yeah, I like the blue better too. I wish it went even further west though. I'd be more likely to use it to get to Edmond.

Quote Originally Posted by emtefury View Post
    It is confirmed the turnpike will be right against my neighborhood. I know my property value will go down, because not many will want to buy my house next to a turnpike. However, I doubt there is a means for compensation.

Overall I feel the turnpike will ruin the area in how it feels and looks. You would have live in my part of town to know what I mean.
    I live in Choctaw, and it'll pass within 1/2 mile of me, and (as discussed above) will probably have an exit there. It'll drastically change the area. So I know what you mean. Sort of. My property value went up EIGHTEEN FRIGGEN PERCENT this year.

Way to make up that budget shortfall douchewaffles.

Default Re: Driving Forward OK - Oklahoma Turnpike Improvements and New Construction

This article mentions what I talked about earlier about the widening of Sara Road to connect the Kilpatrick to SH4.

Mustang Times, OTA reveals preliminary route of Kilpatrick Turnpike extension

Default Re: Driving Forward OK - Oklahoma Turnpike Improvements and New Construction

While the expansion is greatly needed, it's not going to be that effective. With a red light every 15 streets (or even worse, the stop signs that are there now) and school traffic, it would take a 2-3 minute journey if it were an actual turnpike and turn it into a 20 minute ordeal. Wait, four lane? No center turning lane? Sorry, 30 minute ordeal. If I were taking that route, I'd just stay on the turnpike to 152 and take that to I-44/HE Bailey. If I needed something on SH 4, I would actually take the turnpike to 152 and then double back before dealing with the Sara traffic.

4. Default Re: Driving Forward OK - Oklahoma Turnpike Improvements and New Construction

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    This article mentions what I talked about earlier about the widening of Sara Road to connect the Kilpatrick to SH4.

Mustang Times, OTA reveals preliminary route of Kilpatrick Turnpike extension
    Forgive my ignorance, but what constitutes a half interchange? Does that mean it only allows on-ramp access going north and an exit ramp from the north (judging by the shape of the semi-circle)?

It will interesting to see how this plays out. The developer is going along as if nothing is happening.

Frustrated Mustang homeowners want to know if homebuilders knew of planned turnpike | Local News - Home

My question would be how would you not think that that Kilpatrick was eventually going to be extended into the area? Then again, I'd say that is more up to the homeowners to realize. A lot of home builders are in the business to make money and support themselves and their family, not worry about whether a highway will be built through their neighborhoods. That should be up to to the state to make clear one day that will happen(something called planning) and the homeowners using common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonk View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, but what constitutes a half interchange? Does that mean it only allows on-ramp access going north and an exit ramp from the north (judging by the shape of the semi-circle)?
    Yes, I believe you're correct.

To be fair, I can understand people in Brighton Pointe being dismayed (although if she bought her home two weeks ago she's a classic example of someone who didn't do one second of research into the home she was buying), as that's an insanely stupid path for the turnpike to take. Everyone I know agrees it should have gone down Sara, had we not spent the last 15 years doing everything to make that impossible.

However, residents in the neighborhood directly south of where the current turnpike deadends shouldn't act dismayed at all. As much as I hate conspiracy theories, I'm personally convinced everyone there deliberately bought that house hoping for an eminent domain fight some day.

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    To be fair, I can understand people in Brighton Pointe being dismayed (although if she bought her home two weeks ago she's a classic example of someone who didn't do one second of research into the home she was buying), as that's an insanely stupid path for the turnpike to take. Everyone I know agrees it should have gone down Sara, had we not spent the last 15 years doing everything to make that impossible.

However, residents in the neighborhood directly south of where the current turnpike deadends shouldn't act dismayed at all. As much as I hate conspiracy theories, I'm personally convinced everyone there deliberately bought that house hoping for an eminent domain fight some day.
    While I see where you are coming from I would have to disagree with it going down Sarah. 152 already gets way backed up at the Sarah and Morgan intersections on a daily basis. Eventually I would like them to have it split at Council and one route is the one proposed and the other route ties into Sarah/SH-4

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post

I personally know someone that bought a house and closed a couple weeks ago in this area. Her house is directly in the path, and yes she is someone that just saw new house, glazed over, and said I'll take it. Hadn't even heard about extending the turnpike. She is most definitely one of those people in her own little world.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    I personally know someone that bought a house and closed a couple weeks ago in this area. Her house is directly in the path, and yes she is someone that just saw new house, glazed over, and said I'll take it. Hadn't even heard about extending the turnpike. She is most definitely one of those people in her own little world.
    wow... if she was working with a realtor, then she must not have been working with a very good one. while it's understandable that this lady wouldn't have known about the extension, her realtor has no excuse for not knowing and advising her accordingly. -M

^^^ Why isn't the research included in the title search. The buyer is paying good money for it. I can understand that the average citizen may miss future plans for a highway ROW someday, but with the resources that are available to realtors, title companies, and financial institutions, someone should have known.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    wow... if she was working with a realtor, then she must not have been working with a very good one. while it's understandable that this lady wouldn't have known about the extension, her realtor has no excuse for not knowing and advising her accordingly. -M
    Yeah she worked with a realtor. I talked with a friend of mine who is a realtor and he said wouldn't be surprised if people start trying to sue some of these realtors. He works out of a Coldwell Banker office and they've known about this for a long time. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Really terrible - so the state is going to ruin hundreds of people's lives, if not thousands - all because I-40 is congested for an hour a day? So unbelievably stupid. Almost as dumb as the boulevard.

Quote Originally Posted by no1cub17 View Post
    Really terrible - so the state is going to ruin hundreds of people's lives, if not thousands - all because I-40 is congested for an hour a day? So unbelievably stupid. Almost as dumb as the boulevard.
    So your solution is to build no more roads, ever? People keep moving in, but you don't build a road. The city expands, but you don't build a road. If you don't build roads, maybe all the icky people will stop moving in, but nope. They keep right on moving in. What do you think this attitude will get you in five years?

No need to be philosophical about it, just go to Austin and see with your own eyes what that attitude will get you. Now suddenly your 'hundreds or even thousands' which is really more like dozens really IS hundreds, thousands, hundred of thousands, affected DAILY.

16. Default Re: Driving Forward OK - Oklahoma Turnpike Improvements and New Construction

Quote Originally Posted by no1cub17 View Post
    How is this going to ruin lives?

Have a negative impact? Sure. Really anger people? You bet. But ruin lives? Hundreds?

17. Default Re: Driving Forward OK - Oklahoma Turnpike Improvements and New Construction

^^^^^^^^^^^
    Probably referring to people who would be forced to move from homes where they have lived for years - perhaps decades - and created lives for themselves. It might be a little hyperbolic, but from that standpoint it's not a totally inaccurate statement.

nm

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^
    Probably referring to people who would be forced to move from homes where they have lived for years - perhaps decades - and created lives for themselves. It might be a little hyperbolic, but from that standpoint it's not a totally inaccurate statement.
    Yet he wouldn't be saying that if this was for a light-rail project somewhere in the metro.

Anyhow, it isn't going to ruin anyones life. It will cause temporary grief which will go away in a year. People find a new home and they make new memories there. Nothing last forever.

It actually kind of sucks getting to WRWA from the west side of town especially during heavier traffic. All roads southbound from I-40 west of I-44 to the airport have some form of construction going on. This will be great for west side access, plus it will actually relieve I-40 to a degree.

Anyhow, it isn't going to ruin anyones life. It will cause temporary grief which will go away in a year. People find a new home and they make new memories there. Nothing last forever.
    I'm all for this, but lets be clear, eminent domain is a necessary evil. But it is an evil. There are people who may not have the finances to move. There may be people who will be forced to sell land that has been in their family for generations, or will see a house built by their grandfather destroyed. It's an unfortunate necessity of progress, but to callously dismiss them and this lost as something to get over? That's cold. I know this route is only a few miles from where my great uncle's house is. He built that house back in the 50s. He passed away a few years ago, but I'm trying to imagine the impact if he was still alive, and the route came through his place. In his 90's, still raising horses, and other livestock, suddenly having to leave the place he he had lived in for almost 70 years. Probably would have killed him.

I'll add to what Jerrywall said. For some of those families, school districts might have to be changed if they can't relocate in their existing district and aren't able to get open transfers for the next school year. That could certainly alter lives and cause maybe more-than-temporary grief.

Yet he wouldn't be saying that if this was for a light-rail project somewhere in the metro.

PluPan?.... Have you ever bought property of your own?. Have you ever worked all of your life, started out small, maybe with an apartment, or small rent house, you worked hard all your life, maybe raising a family, trying to put together a little nest egg. You move up the ladder, and buy your first home, then later buy your dream property, away from town with some room around you, where neighbors aren't right on top of you. You work and sweat, and make it a place to enjoy and be proud of. The fruits of your years of hard work, where you're kids grew up and now bring their kids. ........

Your still young yet. I wish you well when you've made your way down the line, and built your life, and then find out you're being forced to move. You're loosing your place to the new highway that's coming through. .....

But it's ok. You'll get over it in a year.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    I'm all for this, but lets be clear, eminent domain is a necessary evil. But it is an evil. There are people who may not have the finances to move. There may be people who will be forced to sell land that has been in their family for generations, or will see a house built by their grandfather destroyed. It's an unfortunate necessity of progress, but to callously dismiss them and this lost as something to get over? That's cold. I know this route is only a few miles from where my great uncle's house is. He built that house back in the 50s. He passed away a few years ago, but I'm trying to imagine the impact if he was still alive, and the route came through his place. In his 90's, still raising horses, and other livestock, suddenly having to leave the place he he had lived in for almost 70 years. Probably would have killed him.
    That's all very fair and I wouldn't disagree with you.

I'm not trying to just say they'll get over it even though ultimately that is what I am implying, I know there is more to it than that. I'm just saying that destroying lives seems like a hyperbole.

Quote Originally Posted by rezman View Post
    PluPan?.... Have you ever bought property?. Have you ever worked all of your life, started out small, maybe with an apartment, or small rent house, you worked hard all your life, maybe raising a family, trying to put together a little nest egg. You move up the ladder, and buy your first home, then later buy your dream property, away from town with some room around you, where neighbors aren't right on top of you. You work and sweat, and make it a place to enjoy and be proud of. The fruits of your years of hard work, where you kids grew up and now bring their kids. ........

Your still young yet. I wish you well when you've made your way down the line, and built your life, and then find out you're being forced to move. You're loosing your place to the new highway that's coming through. .....

But it's ok. You'll get over it in a year.
    Well, everyone is different and I don't know what the universe has in store for me in the future, but I can assure you my life won't be destroyed if I discover a highway is coming through and house will be dozed. I will be very pissed off, upset for a little while, but my life isn't over.

My point was that in 5 years I'm sure all of these people will be settled in somewhere else and they won't be that upset about it. Some still might be sad when they drive by which is understandable, but I doubt they will be grieving for as long as they exist.

Thread Information