Widgets Magazine
Page 14 of 36 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Driving Forward OK - Oklahoma Turnpike Improvements and New Construction

Default Re: Driving Forward OK - Oklahoma Turnpike Improvements and New Construction

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    Mustang already had the public presentation.

Mustang turnpike extension meeting draws calm crowd | News OK
    The February meeting was to introduce the area where the turnpike may go. The meeting coming up is where the actual route may go. The February meeting had a public presentation and people were starting get heated up. The answer was always we don't know exactly where it is going, but it is going in this large area we have mapped out. The march meeting has the actual proposed road and people get to see if it will be near their home. For this one the OTA is dodging by not having an open forum with question and answer. The OTA can no longer answer we don't where it is going to defer answering questions.

2. Default Re: Driving Forward OK - Oklahoma Turnpike Improvements and New Construction

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    hmmm... interesting. the person i talked to should have firsthand knowledge of the route and the particulars, so i'm fairly confident in the accuracy of the information. what i understood from the conversation was that 23rd will have an interchange and that there will be 'access' roughly every 2 miles. i took 'access' to mean entrance/exit ramps but it may mean something different to the person i was talking to. also there's always some possibility that my source could be in error or had outdated information... so who knows. -M
    Like I said. I would HOPE that there's better/more access, and that he misspoke or was mistaken. But there was a measure of specificity to the point where the FB pages had other people that were in attendance quoting him and asking the (valid) question of: If there's no access, how can it be an economic benefit to the area like they're claiming?

I'd love an entrance/exit on 29th. That would be very convenient for me, even if more traffic would be going by my house lol

Default Re: Driving Forward OK - Oklahoma Turnpike Improvements and New Construction

The SW Preliminary Etx. has been announced.

Driving Forward OK

One thing I already don't like is the lack of flyovers at I-40 and the left hand exit ramps at SH152.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    The SW Preliminary Etx. has been announced.

Driving Forward OK

One thing I already don't like is the lack of flyovers at I-40 and the left hand exit ramps at SH152.
    How can you tell? The online map has the extension in YELLOW. I can't really see what they are doing at either interchange.

Quote Originally Posted by rte66man View Post
    How can you tell? The online map has the extension in YELLOW. I can't really see what they are doing at either interchange.
    It shows a new flyover being built at I-40 and how they are setting up the interchanges. They might change. I'll post the image tomorrow, or at least the one I'm seeing.

I went to the meeting for the SW extension and it was a waste of time. There was someone to answer questions at each table that had map. There was a crowd around each table. I went around to a few tables to hear the conversation. All I heard for answers was maybe, we are not sure yet, that is a possibility, it could happen, I don't know.

It is confirmed the turnpike will be right against my neighborhood. I know my property value will go down, because not many will want to buy my house next to a turnpike. However, I doubt there is a means for compensation.

Overall I feel the turnpike will ruin the area in how it feels and looks. You would have live in my part of town to know what I mean.

I've driven down Sara Rd time and time again to get Wendy's for lunch on 152 from up at Reno. So I don't really know what you mean other than that being an excuse for a lot of crappy two laned roads. I'll take the turnpike how it is. It leads directly to my work, lol.

It seems like they did what most expected. I'd say it's about as minimal as they can get considering all the neighborhoods in the area.

I thought this road was suppose to go to Norman/I-35 area? That is what is needed....in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by sgt. pepper View Post
    I thought this road was suppose to go to Norman/I-35 area? That is what is needed....in my opinion.
    That's in ten more years after there's been even more development.

This is something like Phase 1 of a SW Loop.

Quote Originally Posted by emtefury View Post
    I went to the meeting for the SW extension and it was a waste of time. There was someone to answer questions at each table that had map. There was a crowd around each table. I went around to a few tables to hear the conversation. All I heard for answers was maybe, we are not sure yet, that is a possibility, it could happen, I don't know.

It is confirmed the turnpike will be right against my neighborhood. I know my property value will go down, because not many will want to buy my house next to a turnpike. However, I doubt there is a means for compensation.

Overall I feel the turnpike will ruin the area in how it feels and looks. You would have live in my part of town to know what I mean.
    Your property value will go down! LOLOLOLZZOL

Ok, keep us updated on that.

Wow - these stupid roads are still being built? What a ridiculous waste. Sounds about right. Cut mental health, cut medicare reimbursements, build a bunch of roads we don't need!

Yes. They are going to continue to be built and especially as more Americans are yet again, moving back to the suburbs. New highways and major reconstructions are being built all over the country. Your fantasy world is not going to happen.

One other thing they really need to do is secure ROW to connect this future turnpike SH4 which will probably need to be completely upgraded to a limited access highway within 5 years or so. This would be nice to connect down to I-35 and then eventually looped around Norman to I-40. But right now, securing ROW to connect to SH4 seems crucial.

18. Default Re: Driving Forward OK - Oklahoma Turnpike Improvements and New Construction

Yeah, I'd like to see it tie with the H.E. Bailey.

Pro-tip: don't buy a home anywhere along that route over the next decade or so!

Quote Originally Posted by no1cub17 View Post
    Wow - these stupid roads are still being built? What a ridiculous waste. Sounds about right. Cut mental health, cut medicare reimbursements, build a bunch of roads we don't need!
    Turnpikes are paid for with bonds, not the general fund. These turnpikes are being built now to support the construction industry as ODOT pulls funding for other projects that would be paid for from current revenues.

Quote Originally Posted by emtefury View Post

In general better road/infrastructure access improves property value. When the BA South Loop moved in right next to my neighborhood, it dramatically increased property values in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    In general better road/infrastructure access improves property value. When the BA South Loop moved in right next to my neighborhood, it dramatically increased property values in the area.
    While this won't be going in my back yard, it will be connecting at Council which is about 4.5 miles from my house. I anticipate to some degree that this would help my property value as I'll be far enough away that I won't be dealing with noise, yet close enough to still utilize it to get to the northwest side. Which I think will be enable me to considering going up to everything on Memorial road more than I do now.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Yes. They are going to continue to be built and especially as more Americans are yet again, moving back to the suburbs. New highways and major reconstructions are being built all over the country. Your fantasy world is not going to happen.
    Hahaha - this nonsense again. Explains all the construction in city centers and rising urban population everywhere, even in your beloved LA.

Quote Originally Posted by no1cub17 View Post
    Hahaha - this nonsense again. Explains all the construction in city centers and rising urban population everywhere, even in your beloved LA.
    Here's an article I came across today: Houston, Dallas, and the Return of the Sunbelt Suburbs - The Atlantic

From 2009-11, Americans seemed to be clustering again in dense cities, to the great excitement urban boosters. The recently released 2015 Census population estimates confirm that was an anomaly. Americans have strongly returned to their decades long pattern of greater suburbanization and migration to lower-density, lower-cost metropolitan areas, largely in the South, Intermountain West and, most of all, in Texas.

- The Sun Belt Is Rising Again, New Census Numbers Show | Newgeography.com
    Have fun believing your fantasy world though. I'm not usually the one to want to argue with you anymore because it is almost like a brick wall. I've actually moved towards a more pro-mass transit stance than when I first got on here. I actually take the subway and bus all the time now. You haven't changed a bit it seems. So again, keep living in your little world and have fun with it.

Also, just to please myself really, I'm going to post this link-- AARoads Forum - Index -- for anyone that wants to go see all the new highways coming or that are under-construction.

As for the suburbs in LA, they are doing just fine. The urban areas of LA(Downtown, West LA, Wilshire Corridor, etc.) along with the downtown areas of Long Beach, Santa Monica, Glendale, are exploding. I'm extremely happy to see that. So I don't know what you are talking about and it doesn't make my point any less valid.

Update on the NE OK County Tollway

April 14 Public Meeting Set for Northeast Oklahoma County Loop Design Alignment
    April 4, 2016
    OKLAHOMA CITY, Okla. (April 4, 2016) — The Oklahoma Turnpike Authority (OTA) is hosting a community public meeting on Thursday, April 14 to present the design alignment for the Northeast Oklahoma County Loop. The loop will link I-40 and I-44 (Turner Turnpike) in Eastern Oklahoma County. As part of the Driving Forward plan, this project will provide an enhanced transportation corridor to connect Eastern Oklahoma County to vital intersections in response to the need for increased road safety and reduction of traffic congestion.

At this come and go meeting, engineers and right-of-way experts will be available from 6 to 8 p.m. to answer questions and receive comments from the community on the design alignment.

- Driving Forward OK
    I'm for the blue alignment right now. It would be nice to see them directly connect with 240 one day.

I just read in the Mustang Times today that the OTA is going to pay 50% of the cost to turn Sara road into a 4 lane road from the turnpike down to 152, with OKC and Mustang picking up the remaining 50% of their stretches. So essentially this would tie the turnpike into SH4 and the HE Bailey and Norman spur.

Thread Information