Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Greens (Hobby Lobby) investigated for illicit importation of antiquities

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    Eh, I opened this topic hoping to find some tasty outrage and all I got was reasoned common sense from Jerry and Midtowner. And that just makes me sad.
    You probably gotta go to The Lost Ogle for tasty outrage...

Default Re: Greens (Hobby Lobby) investigated for illicit importation of antiquities

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Meh, your bias is showing so no reason to continue.
    Biased against the 1%ers who are systematically destroying our democracy/society (and probably lots of other things across the world too)? Yep, bingo, you busted me, been railing against income inequality for *years* and trying to wake people up to it. Did you know this (from 2014):

"Eighty people hold the same amount of wealth as the world’s 3.6 billion poorest people, according to an analysis just released from Oxfam. The report from the global anti-poverty organization finds that since 2009, the wealth of those 80 richest has doubled in nominal terms — while the wealth of the poorest 50 percent of the world’s population has fallen."

"Four years earlier, 388 billionaires together held as much wealth as the poorest 50 percent of the world."

That fact should bother you, at the very least, but it's another topic/thread.

3. Default Re: Greens (Hobby Lobby) investigated for illicit importation of antiquities

Quote Originally Posted by kelroy55 View Post
    That's for managers and department heads, and they still make under $15 an hour. Store managers do OK with 65K

Hobby Lobby Hourly Pay | Glassdoor
    Rather than using a site notorious for inaccurate claims from bitter former employees, a better option might be checking with the employer directly.
    https://careers.hobbylobby.com/curre...retail-hourly/
    Pay for Full-Time positions begin at $15.24 per hour. Part-Time positions begin at $10.16 per hour.

Ah facts. Don't like those things around here...

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonk View Post
    Rather than using a site notorious for inaccurate claims from bitter former employees, a better option might be checking with the employer directly.
    Thanks for the update.... I didn't know that other site was unreliable.

Ah facts. Don't like those things around here...
    It's evident you don't most times

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonk View Post
    This also doesn't cover the very high quality health care coverage that HL offers from day one of employment, and that they've provided and paid for long before it was required. They've always been generous in pay, benefits, and time off.

But they're rich, and they only pay for 16 types of birth control, so they're EEEEEEVVVVILLLLL!!!!

Edit: Oh, and I forgot... they raise the minimum wage a dollar pretty much every year. So I expect it will be over $16 soon. Not bad for a guy who started the business out of his garage with a $600 loan.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Biased against the 1%ers who are systematically destroying our democracy/society (and probably lots of other things across the world too)?
    Meh, unless you make less than 32k or so a year, welcome to the 1% (globally). Hope you're giving all that extra money away to the other 99%.

I figure the Greens do more through high wages, job creation, charitable donations, and their foundations to address income inequality than anyone on this site does.

Meh, unless you make less than 32k or so a year, welcome to the 1% (globally). Hope you're giving all that extra money away to the other 99%.

I figure the Greens do more through high wages, job creation, charitable donations, and their foundations to address income inequality than anyone on this site does.
    OK, it should actually be the 0.1% now instead of the 1%, 'cos the *super-rich* are the ones running things, not just the rich, I suppose, it's being more and more concentrated.

And yes, I'll agree with you on the wages and job creation, don't know about their donations and foundations though, hopefully they don't give to questionable causes/groups (and yes, I know the definition of "questionable" is amorphous, but for me, it equals anti-gay groups, anti-workers-rights groups, things like that).

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    OK, it should actually be the 0.1% now instead of the 1%, 'cos the *super-rich* are the ones running things, not just the rich, I suppose, it's being more and more concentrated.

And yes, I'll agree with you on the wages and job creation, don't know about their donations and foundations though, hopefully they don't give to questionable causes/groups (and yes, I know the definition of "questionable" is amorphous, but for me, it equals anti-gay groups, anti-workers-rights groups, things like that).
    I don't know the full breakdown, but I know they give away 50% of their earnings (pre-tax). And they've signed the giving pledge which means all of their wealth will be given away by the time they die or after they die. And they're fully self made billionaires.

I do know they give extensively to religious orgs, so I'm sure there's some anti-gay in there just by definition.

The Green family does many good things, and they often do so quietly.
    Not real big on the my name must go right there, in letters X feet tall that some insist upon.

Admire that about them.

In 2011? Not likely.
    ISIS dates back much further than 2011

I'm not sure why this has to be a referrendum on the Greens. This is just one potential criminal act they may have been involved in. I'll be surprised if much more happens than a fine. But I do appreciate them rescuing these relics. As Indiana Jones would have said, "They belong in museums." And if taking them out of circulation and putting them on display in D.C. can do that, great. Let's hope we can return them as soon as President Jim Webb whips ISIS.

It must be a blue moon because we agree on something. Thus is only a potential criminal act, and not even one the government has commented on. I expect this is like a tax audit. Basically, any business will get one at some point, no matter how careful you are. Regardless, I'm happy to see these antiquities safe in a museum and not destroyed. Its not like they're profiteering.

When a person decides to be a public moralist they should be prepared to be judged in return.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond_Outsider View Post
    When a person decides to be a public moralist they should be prepared to be judged in return.
    How would you color the Greens as "public moralist"s?

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya61 View Post
    How would you color the Greens as "public moralist"s?
    They're publicly religious, overpay their employees, pay for all their employees insurance, run a free clinic at their corporate office, give half their business proceeds to religious charities, and have committed to give away all of their money before they die. So, obviously, they set a standard that other folks can't abide. Because there's a chance, something that hasn't been proven or even alleged by the government, that out of thousands of acquisitions that are going to museums, there may have been some irregularities with a few.

We should go ahead and burn them at the stake.

The vitriol of those who hate the Greens and/or Hobby Lobby is outshone only by the sopping adoration of their defenders.

Quote Originally Posted by White Peacock View Post
    The vitriol of those who hate the Greens and/or Hobby Lobby is outshone only by the sopping adoration of their defenders.
    I've got plenty to criticize them over, but to imply they don't live up to their beliefs is flat out untrue. The practice what they preach and are extremely generous, both to their employees and to the public.

I don't like their buying practices, nor their attempts to setup class curriculum in Mustang.

I've got plenty to criticize them over, but to imply they don't live up to their beliefs is flat out untrue. The practice what they preach and are extremely generous, both to their employees and to the public.

I don't like their buying practices, nor their attempts to setup class curriculum in Mustang.
    What do you dislike about their buying practices?

What do you dislike about their buying practices?
    The purchase so much of their products from China.

The purchase so much of their products from China.
    Considering all the lesser-seen factors that go into doing business with China (labor conditions, exploitation), it sounds like the Greens' standard of moral living might only extend so far as they can use it to make a statement.

Considering all the lesser-seen factors that go into doing business with China (labor conditions, exploitation), it sounds like the Greens' standard of moral living might only extend so far as they can use it to make a statement.
    They tend to not be very public with their donations and what they give. They humbly serve and donate. But, they buy their goods the cheapest way they can. Smart business, but considering China's labor conditions, not something I agree with.

Support can be a great virtue. Hate never is.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Support can be a great virtue. Hate never is.
    Neither are typically firmly planted in reality.

Thread Information