Widgets Magazine

Thread: Cowboy Hall of Fame

Default Cowboy Hall of Fame

I couldn't find a previous thread devoted to this other than one proposing that it be moved.

This video highlights something that many aren't aware of. I toured the museum in June for the first time in many years and this is something that I really liked.

NewsOK Videos | Animal rodeo greats rest in peace at National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum

These memorials are very well executed.

Default Re: Cowboy Hall of Fame

I went about a year ago for the first time since I was a kid and was very impressed with the entire facility.

It probably will never happen but I really wish the Cowboy Hall of Fame and the Science Museum would one day be moved downtown.

4. Default Re: Cowboy Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    It probably will never happen but I really wish the Cowboy Hall of Fame and the Science Museum would one day be moved downtown.
    Now why would you move a museum dedicated to Western heritage downtown? The cowboy spirit is definitely not suited to that type of environment.

Persimmon Hill always has been, and should always be, a great location for it.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    Now why would you move a museum dedicated to Western heritage downtown? The cowboy spirit is definitely not suited to that type of environment.

I think it makes more sense from an accessibility perspective especially once the streetcar gets established. However, I do see your point on the cowboy museum and the significance of its location. The Science Museum on the other hand should definitely be downtown.

I think it makes more sense from an accessibility perspective especially once the streetcar gets established. However, I do see your point on the cowboy museum and the significance of its location. The Science Museum on the other hand should definitely be downtown.
    I think all components, which are about 7 entities, should stay in the 'adventure district'. It would be great destination stops for the street car.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    I think all components, which are about 7 entities, should stay in the 'adventure district'. It would be great destination stops for the street car.
    This is probably far more likely than any of the entities ever being moved.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post

What!? Cowboy's most certainly are suited to that environment. Hell, even in the building they have a recreation of an old urban western downtown. If anything, having this downtown would be more appropriate than having it where it's at. I'm not saying I'd support it being moved to downtown anyhow.

They have free admission on Christmas Eve.

Also shouldn't this thread be moved to the buildings section?

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    What!? Cowboy's most certainly are suited to that environment. Hell, even in the building they have a recreation of an old urban western downtown. If anything, having this downtown would be more appropriate than having it where it's at. I'm not saying I'd support it being moved to downtown anyhow.
    I wonder how fast funding would be found to move the CHF to the Native American Heritage Center on the river if the opportunity arose?

^

The Cowboy Hall has a fantastic facility that they built over the last 50 years.

I don't think the AICCM's location is any better and may be worse, given the lack of hotels, restaurants, etc.

In an ideal world, I would find a way to tie the Cowboy Hall of Fame in with the Land Run monument and place it in Lower Bricktown. It will never happen, but if I was dictator of OKC I would figure out a way to accomplish it.

14. Default Re: Cowboy Hall of Fame

^^^^^
    That would be a tragedy, and that is speaking as someone who wants cool stuff in Bricktown about as much as anyone here. The cowboy museum is exactly where it belongs. The setting cannot be replicated in this city, and to replicate the facility as it stands today would cost hundreds of millions of dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

The Cowboy Hall has a fantastic facility that they built over the last 50 years.

I don't think the AICCM's location is any better and may be worse, given the lack of hotels, restaurants, etc.
    I don't recall a lot of hotels or restaurants near the CHOF, but I must admit I haven't been in several years. I also never thought of it as an overnight stay attraction.

There aren't a lot but there is a hotel right next door, as is Gabriella's.

Also, Remington Park is in the planning stages of a large hotel on the north end of it's property, which will be very close to the Cowboy Hall.

I do NOT support it being moved. Although at some point it'd be nice to bury a small portion of I44 and build and outdoor western town or something connecting it to the other side of the highway. Believe it or not, this area has a good trail system.

Shouldn't this be moved to development thread?

Anyways, they have a new weather exhibit coming for the spring: National Cowboy museum exhibit in Oklahoma City explores the effects of weather in the West | News OK

I really wish someone would develop the lot to the east

20. Default Re: Cowboy Hall of Fame

The lot to the east is used for events and overflow parking. Things like the Chuckwagon Cookout days are held there....wouldn't really work if you did it in a parking lot.

I'm not trying to come off as PC principle here. And I realize it's a 5 month old post...but along those lines...besides the draw for the human sponges that play OK video gambling at remington. That would pretty much remove any WASP element from the east side.

I would love to see a new science museum built in Core2Shore preferably including some tall structure along the new I-40.

Thread Information