Widgets Magazine

Thread: Moving to Mexico

Question Moving to Mexico

Hi, does anyone know of a moving company around here that takes stuff to Mexico? I've got two 36x22x30 boxes, total weight about 200 lbs. So far I've tried Serenity, PAB, PODS and ABF. They either only do US or US and Canada (ABF used to do Mexico, but not any more.) I called A1 Freeman Friday, a local agent was supposed to call me back, but never did. Hmmm....

So, anyone out there know of a company?

Default Re: Moving to Mexico

^

I don't have an answer but very interested to hear more about why you are moving to Mexico.

Are you retiring?

What will you be living?

What is the cost of living difference between where you are heading and OKC?

Hey, I'm lucky enough to have a job that lets me work work from anywhere, so no, not retiring. I'm going to stay with a cousin in Leon until I find a place in Queretaro.

In Queretaro, 10 pesos go about as far as a dollar in Norman.

I don't know about Leon, but I think it's a little cheaper than Queretaro.

Foreigners seem to like living in small city called San Miguel de Allende, if you're looking for a place there.

Do you plan to buy a home down there?

Does Mexico just allow anyone to move in from the U.S. or do you need some sort of visa?

I'm not sure how the banks work down there with home loans and all that. My guess is it's like everything else down there: "you have to know a guy."

Officially, yeah, you have to obtain a Visa and all that, but practically, a lot of landlords will rent to you without one. They just care if you can pay the rent.

^

The other issue would be trying to re-enter the U.S. after living there for beyond the allowed time limit w/o a visa.

I have a US and Mexican passport, so no worries

Yeah, that website is just set up for US-to-US shipments....

Sorry, I had used them before and just googled their name and it said:
    Freightquote, a division of C.H. Robinson, is an online transportation broker of freight services throughout North America, based in Kansas City, MO.

I believe the bar is pretty low for ex-pats to live there as long as you can show income from outside Mexico, from investments or otherwise. I looked into it some when some friends started making plans to retire there to stretch their dollars. I think Canada is similar in that regard too. Bring money and it's okay. (But probably not the stretching dollars part, depending.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

The other issue would be trying to re-enter the U.S. after living there for beyond the allowed time limit w/o a visa.
    Re-entering the US wouldn't be an issue as long as you have your passport. Leaving Mexico could potentially be an issue if the immigration officer were annoyed, but the most they would likely do is fine you and stamp your passport "No Re-entry", and even that is doubtful (Though they'd probably give you a stern talking to).

Blog Entries

We have friends who live in Belize about 6 months at a time. They go to the Belize immigration office and get their passport stamped each month and pay about $25 fee - which I think goes up if you go past 6 months but not sure on that. No idea if anything similar for Mexico.

14. Default Re: Moving to Mexico

You can live in Costa Rica without a visa also. You just have to leave the country every 3 months for 72 hours (some border stations will let you walk out and right back in). Many expats go to Panama or Nicaragua for a 3 day weekend.

15. Default Re: Moving to Mexico

Quote Originally Posted by okatty View Post
    We have friends who live in Belize about 6 months at a time. They go to the Belize immigration office and get their passport stamped each month and pay about $25 fee - which I think goes up if you go past 6 months but not sure on that. No idea if anything similar for Mexico.
    Belize is our retirement plan. We go there for scuba diving and love it. Hope to one day just sell everything and move to Ambergris Caye.

Blog Entries

That's on our next up list - been to Nicaragua and Costa Rica in that part of the world so far.

Thread Information