Widgets Magazine
Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: Turntables

  1. Default Turntables

    So I'm thinking about getting a turntable. Any of you audiophiles out there have any recommendations?

    Cost isn't a huge issue for me but I would prefer to stay under 4 digits in price.... Sound quality is my biggest requirement. Would like to be able to crank it up and play my bass along with the music. So it needs good bass response so I can hear, and feel, the bass line and needs to be loud enough to compete with my bass amp.

    I've also considered getting one of the combo units that has a cassette and CD/R built into it so I could copy some of my old albums to CD to listen to on the road.... Anyone have any experience with those units?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Turntables

    There are lots of fine turntables out there, but there is a ton of snake oil.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,145
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Turntables

    Probably not what you're looking for but this is the one I got for my daughter due to portability and standalone operation if needed.

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00032BOLO

  4. Default Re: Turntables

    Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    There are lots of fine turntables out there, but there is a ton of snake oil.
    Examples?

  5. #5

    Default Re: Turntables

    Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    I've also considered getting one of the combo units that has a cassette and CD/R built into it so I could copy some of my old albums to CD to listen to on the road.... Anyone have any experience with those units?
    I haven't personally used a combo but have some CD's burnt off this way.
    Not a fan. It seems to combine the negatives of both into one disk. You seem to get the hiss, pop & fuzz of an LP but none of the warmth.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Turntables

    I got this one a couple years ago and I'm happy with it. You can also make MP3's out of an album.

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o08_s00


    I also got a really good cartridge to go with it even though the one that came with it was good.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Turntables

    Go here Echo Audio | Category. Click turntables.

    This is also a great source for vintage HiFi equipment. The site is updated daily, so you can find some great deals on Preamps,Amps and other HiFi equipment

  8. #8

    Default Re: Turntables

    Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    Examples?
    Audiophiles are well known for often having more money than sense. Turntables are basically pretty simple machines and you are probably not going to be able to perceive any difference between something you can buy for around $1,000 vs. something you can buy for $25,000. Heck.. for that matter, you probably won't be able to perceive a huge difference between an entry level turntable and the most expensive turntable on the market.

    I would invest in a good record cleaning system though. Those are worth getting. Just do your research.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    339
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Turntables

    I consider myself an audiophile, have spent uber-amounts of cash on audio (speaker, amps, tubes, etc) throughout the years and I'll be very honest with you: get a nice, welll-maintained Yamaha table from the mid to late 80's and you will love it. They were overbuilt, not super-expensive and run forever. Most important though, get a nice cartridge and needle.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Turntables

    Numark TT-100 is what I have, it's a DJ-type turntable, though, so may not fit your bill, but it's rock-solid, sounds very good, and wasn't too expensive ($400, I think, about a dozen years ago, maybe). I think it's what folks buy when they can't afford a Technics 1200...

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,220
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Turntables

    Quote Originally Posted by kelroy55 View Post
    I got this one a couple years ago and I'm happy with it. You can also make MP3's out of an album.

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o08_s00


    I also got a really good cartridge to go with it even though the one that came with it was good.
    It's very good for what it is, but is fully manual. I wanted a fully automatic turntable, so got this Pioneer. It seems good. I changed to a Shure M97xE cartridge. I like the little brush on it. Amazon.com: Pioneer PL-30 Audiophile Stereo Turntable with Dual-Layered Chassis and Built-in Phono Equalizer: Electronics

  12. #12

    Default Re: Turntables

    Needle Doctor is the website you want to go to. Best Turntable site on the web. The Pro-ject Debut is $400 and a great buy.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Turntables

    When my brother passed away a couple years ago I got his record collection, his boy didn't even know what a record was. I got several origional albums including some early Beatles and other great groups. I put them away in plastic.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Turntables

    We deal with turntables quite often because of our vintage console restoratio/renovation business. I would recomend a Pro-ject turntable paired witha Bellari tube preamp.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,220
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Turntables

    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post
    We deal with turntables quite often because of our vintage console restoratio/renovation business. I would recomend a Pro-ject turntable paired witha Bellari tube preamp.
    Oh, no, when it's not over whether vinyl or CDs sound better, it's tube vs solid state. Why do tube amps and preamps sound better? Because the sound is warmer?

  16. #16

    Default Re: Turntables

    Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Because the sound is warmer?
    Yes. And the "curves" are rounder. That creates a very pleasant listening experience for most people. A true new tube power amp can cost thousands. You can often get over halfway there on the input side of thigs by introducing a tube or two before the amp.

    The same on the output. Some speakers are warmer than others.

  17. Default Re: Turntables

    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post
    Yes. And the "curves" are rounder. That creates a very pleasant listening experience for most people. A true new tube power amp can cost thousands. You can often get over halfway there on the input side of thigs by introducing a tube or two before the amp.

    The same on the output. Some speakers are warmer than others.
    As a musician I can appreciate all that but I'm trying to stay under 4 digits on the price tag.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Turntables

    Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    As a musician I can appreciate all that but I'm trying to stay under 4 digits on the price tag.
    These two ideas should be around $600.00. Bellari VP 130 = $275.00, Project Essential II $300.00. Some of these come in fire engine red. Very cool stuff.

  19. Default Re: Turntables

    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post
    These two ideas should be around $600.00. Bellari VP 130 = $275.00, Project Essential II $300.00. Some of these come in fire engine red. Very cool stuff.
    Hmmm.... I could probably just run that straight to my guitar amp for the time being, since I really just want to be able to play along with the records, and then budget to get a good amp and speakers at a later time for just having it playing in the house for background music.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Turntables

    Guestroom Records sells a very nice, rugged digital preamp for $20.00. Pair that with a new Pro-ject or an old Technics and your solid.

  21. #21

    Default Re: Turntables

    Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    As a musician I can appreciate all that but I'm trying to stay under 4 digits on the price tag.
    Unless you're getting into classical music or heavy acoustic stuff, keep in mind that the "original" sound you'd hear at a live event is not coming from some high fallutin' audiophile rig. It's coming from PA equipment designed to be loud rather than to have "rounder curves." I get wanting to have a nice sound, but this seeming urge some folks seem to have to create an auditory experience which is "better" (no, it's just different, not better) than they would experience listening to a live performance is not something I really understand.

    I've played in multiple orchestras, for example, and know exactly how loud they get and what they sound like. I do not understand why some feel the urge (for example) to listen to the Chorale from Beethoven's 9th with the speaker volume at a level at which they risk temporary hearing loss as a result.

  22. #22

    Default Re: Turntables



    We can dream

  23. #23

    Default Re: Turntables

    Linn Sondek LP12 the ultimate turntable.

    --that'll probably set you back around $25,000

    "A fool and his money are soon parted."

  24. Default Re: Turntables

    Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    Linn Sondek LP12 the ultimate turntable.

    --that'll probably set you back around $25,000

    "A fool and his money are soon parted."
    Probably not since I've already said twice my price range is under 4 digits.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO